Immigration Study shows that 31,5% of newborns in France in 2010 have non-european parents...

You get a very good idea when you listen to what Christian fundamentalists in the United States who use the First Ammendment as a blanc cheque for hate speech and for attempting to force their views on abortion, homosexuality and education upon the entire country.

"Hate speech" is an absurd term to be used here that would squash the public airing of legitimate, ethical opinions.

Much of law is based on explicit moral considerations. Their views on abortion and homosexuality are likewise expressions of morality-based law that they would support.

Say what you want about unsavoury Christian fundamentalists, but they are positively liberal compared to Islamic Fundamentalists, and have not been strongly associated with terrorism and insurrection.

The difference between a Fundamentalist Christian and a Moslem if one's gay:

A Fundamentalist Christian will tell you that "fags go to hell" and to repent...

A Fundementalist Moslem will stone you to death while screaming "Allahu Ackbar!"

The difference between a Fundamentalist Christian and a Moslem if one's a blasphemer, apostate, infidel, pagan, or Atheist:

A Fundamentalist Christian will tell you that you're going to go to hell and to repent or convert...

A Fundamentalist Moslem will straight up murder you and think he will get a special place in paradise for waging jihad against the infidel.

Last edited:
Want to make a quick comment here. As I alluded to earlier in my post, Christian fundamentalists here try to force legislation establishing a state religion in contradiction to the 1st Amendment, not because of it. It is the 1st Amendment that dictates the freedom of individuals to practice whatever religion they like, and explicitly states that the government cannot make any decisions one way or another in that department.

That is simply untrue. There is no large scale Christian movement to establish a Church of America (which is what the first amendment references). In fact, Baptists were the first Protestants to explicitly be -against- the notion of a State Church with mandatory membership. This was in contrast to the established Anglican Church which was strongly established in colonial America.

Supporting religion is, also, explicitly protected in the first amendment. To quote:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The right of Christians to practice their own religion isn't exactly under attack, JFWR. I'm more referring to their constant attempts to push through legislation that, while maybe not explicitly showing governmental support for Christianity, does so implicitly. Examples include pushing for Creationism to be taught in public schools, for gay marriage to remain illegal, and an overall climate of governance according to what is "Godly". Are they arguing for a state religion under the strictest criteria? No, but they do want all of our policies to be dictated by their religion, which is functionally the exact same.

Great post Taranis, just my thought about one point you made.

The first and most obvious is that birth rates world-wide are dropping, and have been dropping consistently for the past few decades, especially for countries with traditionally very high birth rates (most notably the Middle East). As a positive side effect of this population projections of the past had to be consistently projected downward. Populations will still continue to grow in most of these countries for many decades because there is still a surplus of young people. This actually very consistently reflects the developments that we saw historically in the West: birth rates began to drop in the 1960s, but western nations didn't feel the heat of a surplus of elderly until the 1980s or 1990s.

You might ask, why is this happening? It clearly cannot be exclusively due to Western lifestyles because this is also a phenomenon/trend that is happening in countries that are hardly to minimally westernized and where female emancipation is heavily frowned upon. In my opinion, the primary reason is urbanization, and the fact that the traditional large family model is non-sustainable in long-term within an urban environment. The costs of living are increasing considerably so even if people don't live in affluence, there are factors that drive people to have fewer children.

The main reason for this decline in birth rate is contraceptives, the birth controls. Thanks to progress in technology and production they are very affordable and ubiquitous these days.
It is not a question of affordability of kids or sustainability of family. When compared to third world it gets really relativistic and subjective. If average citizen in Germany have five kids, they will be still way better off, when compared to 5 kid family in Egypt or Kenya living on one dollar a day. The issue is that parents don't want to sacrifice their high standard of living, as they had lived before kids. With every kid they have to trim their pleasures more and more. Less traveling, no restaurants and bars, cheaper cars, crowded apartment, only one suit, etc. Birth controls come very handy at this moment, they have one kid, and still can enjoy life as they used to.
Off course there are different factors too, but none of them would have any effect on population without contraceptives, unless we all go abstinence.

Going to the future, this trend might continue till by natural selection, all people (with their selfish gens) that didn't want to have kids will die out, and only kids loving people will exist. Kids loving people, more precisely people loving having many kids, will naturally out populate people not having kids. Once kids loving people become a substantial group, the trend will be reversed and population will start growing again. This could be even more scary for our already small planet, lol.
At the end we would end up with some form of lottery, to get a permits to make kids, to end up with steady population.

The problem is not just Islamic extremism. Islam is unarguably an anti-women anti-non-muslim ideology and whether it's followers are actually violent, I don't want it anywhere near our countries.

The right of Christians to practice their own religion isn't exactly under attack, JFWR. I'm more referring to their constant attempts to push through legislation that, while maybe not explicitly showing governmental support for Christianity, does so implicitly. Examples include pushing for Creationism to be taught in public schools, for gay marriage to remain illegal, and an overall climate of governance according to what is "Godly". Are they arguing for a state religion under the strictest criteria? No, but they do want all of our policies to be dictated by their religion, which is functionally the exact same.

I agree that Creationism is bad because it is junk science (as opposed to theistic evolution which is a legitimate philosophical position that is utterly congruent with mainstream scientific fact about the mechanisms of evolution). However, these other matters are entirely within reason to be legistlated from a moral stance. Christians have every right, and have good arguments, to oppose many social programs they think are bad like gay marriage, abortion, et cetera. Moreover, not all opponents of these things are religiously backed. Marriage is not inherently religious, nor is abortion to be opposed purely from religious grounds.

In fact, it is notable that no society has historically ever advocated gay marriage, no matter what religion the culture may have been. This includes societies permissive of homosexual relations amongst men! We do not find gay marriage in ancient Greece, Rome, China, Japan, India, Persia, amongst the Celts, or amongst the Germans. All of these societies had many men who were bisexual in their preferences.

You cannot divorce serious laws from ethics, and ethics will be informed by one's highest values, whether religious or not. Moreover, the majority of Christian tenets are the tenets of Western civilization itself. Christianity has profoundly and utterly shaped Western civilization, and to ignore the great achievements that Christianity has promoted is to deny history.

I agree that Creationism is bad because it is junk science (as opposed to theistic evolution which is a legitimate philosophical position that is utterly congruent with mainstream scientific fact about the mechanisms of evolution). However, these other matters are entirely within reason to be legistlated from a moral stance. Christians have every right, and have good arguments, to oppose many social programs they think are bad like gay marriage, abortion, et cetera. Moreover, not all opponents of these things are religiously backed. Marriage is not inherently religious, nor is abortion to be opposed purely from religious grounds.

In fact, it is notable that no society has historically ever advocated gay marriage, no matter what religion the culture may have been. This includes societies permissive of homosexual relations amongst men! We do not find gay marriage in ancient Greece, Rome, China, Japan, India, Persia, amongst the Celts, or amongst the Germans. All of these societies had many men who were bisexual in their preferences.

You cannot divorce serious laws from ethics, and ethics will be informed by one's highest values, whether religious or not. Moreover, the majority of Christian tenets are the tenets of Western civilization itself. Christianity has profoundly and utterly shaped Western civilization, and to ignore the great achievements that Christianity has promoted is to deny history.

Notice that I didn't mention abortion - I think that whether or not it should be legal is a legitimate question, stemming from the question of whether or not a fetus can be considered alive. Regardless, my problem isn't the policies that fundamentalist Christians in America push for (though I admit I find many of them contradictory to our Constitution, particularly their stance on gay marriage), but their logic behind doing so. Every one that I've spoken to - and, hailing from the South, I've spoken to quite a few - justify their beliefs with biblical reasoning. When I ask them why America should govern according to biblical principles, they usually spit out arguments about how America's motto is "In God We Trust", even though that was adopted very recently, in 1956. Failing that, they try to say that because the vast majority of the Founding Fathers were Christians, that America was founded as a Christian nation, but this doesn't hold up when you look at the Treaty of Tripoli.

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Muslim] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Moving beyond the issue of Christian fundamentalists, the policies they tend to push for run directly counter to the 1st and 10th Amendments anyway. Gay marriage is the most glaring example. The only possible argument against it is one of moral outrage (that usually derives from religious fervor), and the government's job IS NOT to regulate personal morality, as long as it doesn't affect anyone else. Two gay guys marrying each other does not have any tangible impact on your or my life in any way whatsoever. Therefore - and this is the sole reasoning - it should be allowed. Say otherwise and you're no different than the anti-gun nuts that say the 2nd Amendment intrudes on their right to "feel safe". And yes, I have seen people make that argument.

Whether or not past nations and cultures allowed gay marriage couldn't possibly be more irrelevant. Adopting or not adopting a policy simply because of what a past culture did isn't intelligent governing. Weighing the pros and cons of a policy, looking to our Constitution for guidance, and making an informed decision is. What distinguishes America from many other nations - or rather, what is supposed to distinguish America from many other nations - is that we govern according to a set of immutable, explicitly enumerated ideals laid out in our Constitution, not our own personal feelings of what's right. Christian fundamentalists routinely put their idea of what America should be against what the Constitution says America should be, and we act like this is a legitimate conflict, something that bears consideration. It isn't. As I said before, a pure democracy, where whatever the majority of the population feels is right can be voted into effect, is only a couple steps away from Fascism. "Three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner". Fortunately, our Founding Fathers realized that neither the despotism they were fighting against, nor total, unbridled democracy was the answer. The solution lay in the middle instead. The logic is simple. If your exercise of a right does not infringe upon someone else exercising their rights, you should be left alone. That's the spirit of Libertarianism, and the spirit that America was founded upon. It's a shame that so few Americans actually adhere to it.

Also, this discussion is getting extremely off-topic. If a moderator sees fit to move this to another thread, I'd be happy to continue this elsewhere.

Sorry for moving this to a religious debate, but I had to comment -

"For many "God caused the big bang" is a perfectly reasonable response. This seems to help many cope with the unsatisfying prospect of an event without a cause.

The problem of course is that one is then immediately forced to ask, "From where did the creator come?"

If the answer is "he always existed" then we have a situation, from a causality standpoint, that is no more satisfying than a universe that springs forth from nothing. A creator that has always existed is an entity that somehow exists without a cause.

So this answer doesn't solve the causality issue whatsoever."

Theistic evolution is a junk philosophy as well. Get used to the idea that out of nothing became something "Big Bang". There is no reason to believe that God was that nothing that became something, because that something is pretty well understood and can be explained by science. There is no need to say "I don't know, must be God" anymore.

Sorry for moving this to a religious debate, but I had to comment -

"For many "God caused the big bang" is a perfectly reasonable response. This seems to help many cope with the unsatisfying prospect of an event without a cause.

The problem of course is that one is then immediately forced to ask, "From where did the creator come?"

If the answer is "he always existed" then we have a situation, from a causality standpoint, that is no more satisfying than a universe that springs forth from nothing. A creator that has always existed is an entity that somehow exists without a cause.

So this answer doesn't solve the causality issue whatsoever."

A necessary cause's existence would be self-justified. If God exists as a necessary being, his necessity would explain the reason for no exterior cause. Finite being can be so necessary, but anything which is infinite would have to be necessary.

Theistic evolution is a junk philosophy as well. Get used to the idea that out of nothing became something "Big Bang". There is no reason to believe that God was that nothing that became something, because that something is pretty well understood and can be explained by science. There is no need to say "I don't know, must be God" anymore.

It is philosophically impossible to tell the difference between soemthing that is created or not created with certainty. Accordingly, it is not irrational to suggest that God had a hand in it, just as it is not irrational to suggest it was blind chance. The two hypotheses, so long as they correspond to the factual mechanisms, cannot be decided against one another.

Notice that I didn't mention abortion - I think that whether or not it should be legal is a legitimate question, stemming from the question of whether or not a fetus can be considered alive. Regardless, my problem isn't the policies that fundamentalist Christians in America push for (though I admit I find many of them contradictory to our Constitution, particularly their stance on gay marriage)

Funny that gay marriage should not have been obvious to any legal scholar for 200 years if it is so manifestly opposed to the constitution. You will note, for instance, that laws forbids marriage to no one, only restricts the possible objects for matrimony. All licenses have prerequisite, and marriage, being a license, must likewise have such.

but their logic behind doing so. Every one that I've spoken to - and, hailing from the South, I've spoken to quite a few - justify their beliefs with biblical reasoning. When I ask them why America should govern according to biblical principles, they usually spit out arguments about how America's motto is "In God We Trust", even though that was adopted very recently, in 1956. Failing that, they try to say that because the vast majority of the Founding Fathers were Christians, that America was founded as a Christian nation, but this doesn't hold up when you look at the Treaty of Tripoli.

Their faulty reasoning is indeed bad.

As for the Treaty of Tripoli, this is merely the statement that the USA is not a church structure. It isn't. It is not "founded upon the Christian religion" as a church would be. Amusingly, Tripoli was under a caliphate at the time, so it was, in fact, a church structure (of the Islamic faith).

Moving beyond the issue of Christian fundamentalists, the policies they tend to push for run directly counter to the 1st and 10th Amendments anyway. Gay marriage is the most glaring example. The only possible argument against it is one of moral outrage (that usually derives from religious fervor), and the government's job IS NOT to regulate personal morality, as long as it doesn't affect anyone else. Two gay guys marrying each other does not have any tangible impact on your or my life in any way whatsoever. Therefore - and this is the sole reasoning - it should be allowed. Say otherwise and you're no different than the anti-gun nuts that say the 2nd Amendment intrudes on their right to "feel safe". And yes, I have seen people make that argument.

All significant laws are moral in character, thus the role of government is indeed to enforce morality. Moreover, the only argument in support of gay marriage is to be found in suggesting that it treats gays unequally. This is actually not so, as gays are given just as much leeway to choose their marriage partners as straights. The rule is one for all citizens: Marriage must be conducted between one man and one woman. Any other partnership is not marriage, and has never been understood as marriage, historically. One has a far better claim to support polygamy than gay marriage, as polygamy has indeed been practiced by many cultures throughout history, and is a valid form of marriage to this day in many countries.

Whether or not past nations and cultures allowed gay marriage couldn't possibly be more irrelevant. Adopting or not adopting a policy simply because of what a past culture did isn't intelligent governing. Weighing the pros and cons of a policy, looking to our Constitution for guidance, and making an informed decision is. What distinguishes America from many other nations - or rather, what is supposed to distinguish America from many other nations - is that we govern according to a set of immutable, explicitly enumerated ideals laid out in our Constitution, not our own personal feelings of what's right. Christian fundamentalists routinely put their idea of what America should be against what the Constitution says America should be, and we act like this is a legitimate conflict, something that bears consideration. It isn't. As I said before, a pure democracy, where whatever the majority of the population feels is right can be voted into effect, is only a couple steps away from Fascism. "Three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner". Fortunately, our Founding Fathers realized that neither the despotism they were fighting against, nor total, unbridled democracy was the answer. The solution lay in the middle instead. The logic is simple. If your exercise of a right does not infringe upon someone else exercising their rights, you should be left alone. That's the spirit of Libertarianism, and the spirit that America was founded upon. It's a shame that so few Americans actually adhere to it.

The constitution is not immutable - it is subject to revision and reconsideration. HOwever, I agree that America is a rationalist republic in the sense that we deduce our laws, in part, from the axioms of the constitution.

You will also note that a majority can easily pass a constitutional amendment of any sort it wants, so long as it can reach the required votes to attain this. America has no ability to prevent this.

When dealing with an issue such as gay marriage, the very notion of what marriage is must be considered. The only way to determine this is by analysis of the concept, which necessarily entails its cultural background, its function, and its role in society.

It is philosophically impossible to tell the difference between soemthing that is created or not created with certainty. Accordingly, it is not irrational to suggest that God had a hand in it, just as it is not irrational to suggest it was blind chance. The two hypotheses, so long as they correspond to the factual mechanisms, cannot be decided against one another.

If all things are equal, and if the big bang could have spontaneously occurred, then why a middleman like God? We can explain everything after the big bang. We don't need a middleman, that we can't explain. I'm not saying God doesn't exist, just that logically there is no need for him to exsist. If Jesus appears spontaneously in a stadium filled with people and says God made the Big Bang, then I will be the first to get on my knees and worship. Funny how that hasn't happened yet.

"The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by God one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity." Carl Sagan

Ok, I'm done talking religion - seriously! LOL

The main reason for this decline in birth rate is contraceptives, the birth controls. Thanks to progress in technology and production they are very affordable and ubiquitous these days.

That's the main reason for Westerners, but most Muslims (and some Catholics) will shun contraceptives on religious grounds, so that for them nothing will change until they become less religious. This could potentially take centuries when we see how strong Islam is going these days.

It is not a question of affordability of kids or sustainability of family. When compared to third world it gets really relativistic and subjective. If average citizen in Germany have five kids, they will be still way better off, when compared to 5 kid family in Egypt or Kenya living on one dollar a day. The issue is that parents don't want to sacrifice their high standard of living, as they had lived before kids.

Once again, that's a reason for Westerners, or at least richer people, to decide to have more kids. The main problem with very poor immigrants to welfare states like France or Belgium is that their living standards will always be higher than in their home country, even if they have ten children. That's in part because in France and Belgium they can get government subsidies for having children (and many advantages if they have more than three kids), and benefit from very cheap healthcare that covers all their needs for pregnant women and children. The system actually encourages poor immigrants to have more kids. It is very dangerous to think that Third World immigrants will behave like rich and educated Westerners under the same conditions. Most often they won't. That is why the system needs reforms.

Going to the future, this trend might continue till by natural selection, all people (with their selfish gens) that didn't want to have kids will die out, and only kids loving people will exist. Kids loving people, more precisely people loving having many kids, will naturally out populate people not having kids.

Then I guess Indians have a substantial head start over everybody else. lol

I guess that once Europeans will really start to realize and feel that they have become a minority, they will protect themselves much more against the immigrant groups, in the same way Muslims are doing it right now. So instead of becoming extinct, I imagine a scenario which is similiar to Brazil (or former South Africa), in which a rather tiny and highly protected elite of fully European ancestry will rule over mostly non-European nations. The sad glory for our children and descendants will be the side effect of probably having much higher career chances and earnings than we have now.

I think that's a possible scenario, as long as the poorer immigrant classes don't revolt against the minority European elite. Anyway, that's not a very glorious prospect to think that our descendants will have to live self-imposed isolation in their own ancestral countries.

I haven't replied much in this thread because to be honest, it reeks with paranoia and fearmongering. A lot of this is based on the premise that "if the current trend continues", and frankly, I don't see how it can continue, at least for a prolonged time which is essentially the sine-qua-non of these scenarios. There's a number of reasons why and how it cannot happen:

The first and most obvious is that birth rates world-wide are dropping, and have been dropping consistently for the past few decades, especially for countries with traditionally very high birth rates (most notably the Middle East). As a positive side effect of this population projections of the past had to be consistently projected downward. Populations will still continue to grow in most of these countries for many decades because there is still a surplus of young people. This actually very consistently reflects the developments that we saw historically in the West: birth rates began to drop in the 1960s, but western nations didn't feel the heat of a surplus of elderly until the 1980s or 1990s.

As I wrote above, the population of Africa will double by 2050. These are the (very serious and reliable) projections of the United Nations.

In my opinion, the primary reason is urbanization, and the fact that the traditional large family model is non-sustainable in long-term within an urban environment. The costs of living are increasing considerably so even if people don't live in affluence, there are factors that drive people to have fewer children.

I used to think like you, which is why I didn't worry too much. But Maghrebian immigrants have been living in big European cities, even in expensive central Paris, for over 50 years now. The third and even fourth generations are being born now and show no sign of slowing down. The official French statistics actually show that the number of children born in France with two non-European parents has increased by 35% between 1998 and 2009.

People in their 30s and 40s are much less likely to follow such ideologies so it's very likely that once the average age increases, I think that support for Islamic fundamentalism will vanish.

But most Muslims today have children before their 30's, so even if they become more moderate later that won't affect their birth rate.

Another aspect is that it is an ideology that offers no future. Well, it offers the prospect of a rosy afterlife for it's followners, but here and no, it's an ideology without any solutions for real life problems. It doesn't solve social or environmental problems. This is why I believe that radical Islam will eventually disappear on it's own. Not tomorrow, not in ten years, but eventually.

It is so obvious for people like us that we could wonder why anybody would want to follow a religion like Islam. Yet it is the fastest growing religion on Earth. You just can't apply our logic and mindset to Third World people.

Apart from that, I'd like to point out something entire else: people in this thread have been talking about anonymous, homogenic mass that they address as "Muslims", which in fact are not a monolithic block, but are fractured by ethnic, linguistic, sectarian and social divides in any country on this planet. In particular, what about Albania and Bosnia? These are two European countries with substantial percentage of their population Muslims. Why do they fall off the rug?

Actually I have been referring all the time to African immigrants, and African Muslims. I am much less concerned about the generally more civilised Turkish immigrants, or other Middle Easterners who are only tiny minorities in Europe. As for Bosnians and Albanians, although they were traditionally Muslim, the vast majority of them are now Atheistic/Agnostics or at least non-religious. They also don't have sky high birthrates like Maghrebians.

Somebody also brought up the buzzword "Clash of Civilizations". What Samuel Huntington did in his "Clash of Civilizations" was that he draw lines which existed only in his mind onto a map. The worst thing that we can do is that we buy them and take his book as a blueprint for the next world war. In my opinion, Islam by itself does not pose a threat to Western civilization. Note that I'm neither apologetic of Islam nor blue-eyed on the issue: radical Islam (or, more accurately, violence-endorsing Islam, because that's the real problem) is much more a problem for the Islamic world itself than for the West. In my opinion, at the bottom line, Islam is just as much an intolerant, women-discriminating and violence-endorsing religion as Judaism and Christianity (if you don't want to believe that, I recommend reading the bible!). You get a very good idea when you listen to what Christian fundamentalists in the United States who use the First Ammendment as a blanc cheque for hate speech and for attempting to force their views on abortion, homosexuality and education upon the entire country.

This thread has raised two very different, yet equally worrying problems. One of them is the lack of integration of Muslims in Western societies and the possible confrontation that will result from it. But the main topic discussed is the long-term replacement (even partial) of the native European population by the unrestrained flow of (mostly) Black and Berber African immigrants (Muslim or Christian), because Africans still have very high birthrates both in African and in Europe, and according to the UN this is not going to change before several generations - by which time Europe might already be over half African.

I believe it is due to the fact that Islam is political, politics and religion are intertwined in the muslim world, where in Germany, democracy and religion are pushed apart as much as possible. Having been living in Berlin for some time now, I think Germans in general are very uncomfortable with criticizing Islam. However, Islam and sharia law are and ideology that threatens the fundamentals of post-Enlightenment Europe and modern democracy. It should be dealt with very seriously.

That's the main reason for Westerners, but most Muslims (and some Catholics) will shun contraceptives on religious grounds, so that for them nothing will change until they become less religious. This could potentially take centuries when we see how strong Islam is going these days.
I would like to believe that it would happen sooner than that. On other hand what if they have more "god" genes, therefore heightened spirituality than Europeans in general? I hope it is not the case.

Once again, that's a reason for Westerners, or at least richer people, to decide to have more kids. The main problem with very poor immigrants to welfare states like France or Belgium is that their living standards will always be higher than in their home country, even if they have ten children. That's in part because in France and Belgium they can get government subsidies for having children (and many advantages if they have more than three kids), and benefit from very cheap healthcare that covers all their needs for pregnant women and children. The system actually encourages poor immigrants to have more kids. It is very dangerous to think that Third World immigrants will behave like rich and educated Westerners under the same conditions. Most often they won't. That is why the system needs reforms.
I agree, it's about time to fix the system. Generally people on government subsidies, emigrants or not, tend to have more children than Canada's average. The reason might be irresponsible behaviour, lack of planing, more addictions, parting harder, or choosing to spend money on booze instead of birth controls. Surely some kids are planned, but most are accidental.
I have to update my futuristic prediction. In future will have two classes of people, one loving kids, the other irresponsible and reckless.

Then I guess Indians have a substantial head start over everybody else. lol

My other prediction is that, if current technological civilisation survives, in about 1000 years all peoples on earth should be totally mixed. The mixing will only speed up in the future. In the past parents had a lot to say in selecting partners for kids, and most choices where limited to the village anyway, but today's youth have free hand in this regard, and we all know they don't care much about interracial mixing. It's not going to change in the future, unless there is an economic collapse, and we are back in caves.

As I wrote above, the population of Africa will double by 2050. These are the (very serious and reliable) projections of the United Nations.

It's not as reliable as you think. Population predictions cannot be taken for that reliable more than 1-2 decades in the future. A lot can change in the meantime. But I concede that you have a point in so far as that sub-saharan Africa (rather than the Middle East or North Africa) will be the "last man standing" in terms of high birth rates. On the flip side, I do not know how viable an Africa with 2 or 3 billion inhabitants is, anyways. We're already dangerously close to Earth's carrying capacity, and I suspect (and fear) that if such a Malthusian happens anywhere, it's going to be in subsaharan Africa. The good news though, as I mentioned, is that over the past decades world population projections have been consistently corrected downwards and the massive threat of overpopulation that loomed at the horizon isn't as nearly as big as it used to be 30 or 40 years ago.

I used to think like you, which is why I didn't worry too much. But Maghrebian immigrants have been living in big European cities, even in expensive central Paris, for over 50 years now. The third and even fourth generations are being born now and show no sign of slowing down. The official French statistics actually show that the number of children born in France with two non-European parents has increased by 35% between 1998 and 2009.

Let's look at the average number of kids born in North Africa for 2012 (I've taken these figures are from the CIA factbook, though I'm aware the UN has similar figures):

Egypt - 2.94
Libya - 2.90
Morocco - 2.19
Tunisia - 2.02
Algeria - 1.74

There's also a few other predominantly Islamic countries to take a look at:

Bangladesh - 2.55
Indonesia - 2.23
Turkmenistan - 2.14
Turkey - 2.13
Azerbaijan - 1.92
Iran - 1.87
Bahrain - 1.86
Uzbekistan - 1.86
Lebanon - 1.67

Back to North Africa, the UN gives the following average numbers of kids per woman for the period 2010-2015 (as you can see, the figures are all in roughly the same order of magnitude):

Egypt - 2.64
Libya - 2.41
Morocco - 2.18
Algeria - 2.14
Tunisia - 1.91

Now, if you compare this with the situation 50 years earlier (1960-1965):

Algeria - 7.38
Tunisia - 7.25
Libya - 7.18
Morocco - 7.15
Egypt - 6.55

It's very clear that these countries are well in demographic transition and it's only a matter of a few decades before they slip into sub-replacement fertility. I've been trying to make the point that this has little to do with Westernization because it's happening universally around the globe, and some countries (read: Western Europe, but also for instance Japan) were first in this development and areas like the Latin America, the Middle East and Southeast Asia are getting there only now or in the near-future.

LeBrok brought up that this is an effect of contraceptives and family planning but this has surprisingly little to do with it (the process is happening in countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh too, where it certainly has little to do with it!), it's solely the effect of urbanization in my opinion. Urban lifestyle, wether rich or poor, does not support or need large traditional extended families like they exist traditional in rural farming communities. You need a large crew to work a traditional farm, but there's no need for that when you live in a city. There's also additional pressures like increased housing costs, increased costs of living (you can't live on subsistence agriculture in a city). None of this requires being wealthy, well-educated or culturally particularly westernized for this to affect you, which is exactly why this phenomenon is happening globally.

I concede you have a point in so far as that sub-saharan Africa (as well as poorer, less developed countries in Asia/Middle East - in particular Afghanistan and Yemen) are much farther away from such a development as the countries I mentioned above. And, I concede that the situation in France may indeed be somewhat unique in so far as that it has a large faction of it's immigrants from Sub-Saharan Africa (due to to the fact that these were formerly part of it's colonial empire).

But most Muslims today have children before their 30's, so even if they become more moderate later that won't affect their birth rate.

It is so obvious for people like us that we could wonder why anybody would want to follow a religion like Islam. Yet it is the fastest growing religion on Earth. You just can't apply our logic and mindset to Third World people.

Well, by the same logic, why would anybody follow a religion like Christianity? As I said before, Christianity and Judaism in their essence are just as bad, just as violence-endorsing, just as women-discriminating and intolerant as Islam. And the claim that it's only the Old Testament and that the Old Testament "doesn't count anymore" is certainly a strawman argument since there's enough quotes in New Testament as well to back this. Christianity has the same claim for universalist salvation as Islam (read: everybody should convert to Christianity/Islam, respectively), and if you look beyond the theoretical framework, a brief glance into history demonstrates that Christianity is a very violent and violence-endorsing religion, just like Islam. So what is different? Granted, there are theological differences:

- most notably that the Quran is believed the final and uncorrupted word of God, *classical* Arabic is the language of God, and that a translation of it is frowned upon (a fact that I find quite ironic concerning. Note that this didn't prevent Islam from spreading into non-Arabic countries, and this also didn't prevent most Muslims from the fact that they cannot speak or read classical Arabic. This is a fact, of course, that has been shamelessly exploited by hatred-preachers in places like Afghanistan or Pakistan to incite hate and violence (then again, how does this differ from the Pope telling medieval Christians in Europe from going on a crusade?).

- when it comes to the topic of monotheism, Islam is more self-consistent (one might also use the word "unforgiving") than either Judaism or Christianity. Over the centuries this has produced a destructive tendency of iconoclasm. But, it should be mentioned that we find the same destructive tendency for iconoclasm also in Christianity (to pick a few examples, the felling of Thor's Oak in Germany by St. Boniface, or the massive rampages against Church art by Protestants during the reformation). At the same time the Shi'ites (who in my opinion have some views that them more different from Sunni Islam than the Protestant/Catholic difference, even though every Muslim I've discussed this topic with before thinks it's exactly vice versa), are rather relaxed on the issue, and it was usually in the Shi'ite context that depictions of the prophet Mohammed were made.

The big difference is that for the past 400-500 years (a trend that was ironically started with the Reformation), the West has been moving away from Christianity as the sole, unabashed source of authority (granted, there are Christians who would love to reverse this, but I'll get back to that topic at a later point). There is nothing, however, that prevents Muslims from doing the same.

At the flip point, this extremist, puritanical interpretation of Islam that is plagueing the world today is certainly not a product of an 800 year long trend but merely a product of the 20th century. For the greater part, Muslims 150 or 200 years ago were a lot more relaxed when it came to the treatment of religious minorities and even (to a degree) for the treatment of women than some (textbook examples would be Afghanistan or Saudi Arabia) do now. What can be done about that? I mentioned that this radical ideology will eventually disappear on it's own and I find that I have good reasons to believe so: my point with radical Islam was actually that bin Laden's war against the West has cost the lives of many more Muslims than non-Muslims. And Muslims, at least in the Arab world and the more developed parts of the Islamic world, I would say, are actually quite aware of this. Otherwise the revolutions in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya wouldn't have happened the way that they did. You might argue now, what about the Islamist parties that arose from the elections in Egypt and Tunisia? Well, I might ask, what is an Islamist? Somebody who wants to bring Islamic ideas into politics? Somebody who wants to overthrow democratic principles and create a theocracy? An Islamist can be all and none of that, the word is too vaguely defined. In my opinion, as long as they adhere to strict non-violence, seek to come to power in an election, do not seek to infringe the freedoms granted by the constitution, and most importantly, concede to relinquish their powers when they have been defeated in an election, I honestly don't see what should be wrong with Islamists, because at the end of the day, they would differ fairly little from "Christian" (even if in name only) parties in Europe, or from politicians in the United States who consider themselves "Christians" - and which obviously violate the Western principles of secularism.

Actually I have been referring all the time to African immigrants, and African Muslims. I am much less concerned about the generally more civilised Turkish immigrants, or other Middle Easterners who are only tiny minorities in Europe. As for Bosnians and Albanians, although they were traditionally Muslim, the vast majority of them are now Atheistic/Agnostics or at least non-religious. They also don't have sky high birthrates like Maghrebians.

This goes more or less hand in hand with what I postulated above, that the situation in France may be somewhat special compared to other parts of Europe.

This thread has raised two very different, yet equally worrying problems. One of them is the lack of integration of Muslims in Western societies and the possible confrontation that will result from it. But the main topic discussed is the long-term replacement (even partial) of the native European population by the unrestrained flow of (mostly) Black and Berber African immigrants (Muslim or Christian), because Africans still have very high birthrates both in African and in Europe, and according to the UN this is not going to change before several generations - by which time Europe might already be over half African.

Regarding the former, I do not believe that such a violent confrontation and a threat by Islam that the alarmists see as inevitable is as inevitable as people think. What I do believe is actually inevitable is the intellectual and especially critical altercation with Islam and Islamic ideas (and also, which of what we perceive as "Islamic" is actually genuinely Islamic, and what are just behaviours/customs that are done on the pretext of Islam). Much of what commonly perceive as wrong or as dangerous in Islam has actually surprisingly little (if any) basis in the Quran or the Hadith (to pick one of the most abominable examples, female genital mutilation). But, the way I see it, this is something not only Europe needs to do, but the entire world.

Regarding the latter, it remains to be seen how much of a problem this really will be. My opinion is that if we give in to the alarmism, we're paving the ground for right-wing demagogues to one day seize power again in Europe and unleash another round of terror and genocide - in the case of which Europe as we know and love would be over just as well.

I believe it is due to the fact that Islam is political, politics and religion are intertwined in the muslim world, where in Germany, democracy and religion are pushed apart as much as possible. Having been living in Berlin for some time now, I think Germans in general are very uncomfortable with criticizing Islam. However, Islam and sharia law are and ideology that threatens the fundamentals of post-Enlightenment Europe and modern democracy. It should be dealt with very seriously.

Is that really so? I think the Enlightment consensus has been subverted across the board for decades, if not longer. I mean, we have a party that labels itself "Christian Democratic" (even if they are in name only), and the danger of Christian fundamentalists eroding the separation of religion and state, as mentioned before is a very real and very acute problem in the United States. Though I should add, out of fairness, the Christian fundamentalists in the United States are just as selective as their Islamic counterparts, for instance, I haven't yet seen a Christian fundamentalist in the US argue that children who insult their parents should face the death penalty... :LOL:

The real problem the Islam really has with western ideas of separation of religion and state is that these principles were unanimously enforced in the Islamic world through autoritarianism and dictatorship, and not through democracy. How would they perceive as something beneficial if it came as a means of oppression (by henchmen regimes of the West, it should be added)? You have to consider that this is also exactly the environment in which the puritanical, violence-endorsing Islam that we so much perceive as a threat right now evolved in. What I've been trying to say is that the feeding ground that violent Islam successfully fed on for the past 60 years is slowly disappearing.

Last edited:
If all things are equal, and if the big bang could have spontaneously occurred, then why a middleman like God? We can explain everything after the big bang. We don't need a middleman, that we can't explain. I'm not saying God doesn't exist, just that logically there is no need for him to exsist. If Jesus appears spontaneously in a stadium filled with people and says God made the Big Bang, then I will be the first to get on my knees and worship. Funny how that hasn't happened yet.

The Big Bang could not have sponteneously occurred. It must have an antecedent cause as it is both finite in space and time. It is an abuse of reason (and science) that suggests otherwise.

The universe as envisioned by modern science is too limited to be necessary. The larger "omniverse" (to use a crappy term) would have to be infinite in space and time in order to be necessary, and I think that is likely, but then we get into the peculiar ties between the classical notion of God and existence as conceived in such a broadened viewpoint.

LeBrok brought up that this is an effect of contraceptives and family planning but this has surprisingly little to do with it (the process is happening in countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh too, where it certainly has little to do with it!), it's solely the effect of urbanization in my opinion. Urban lifestyle, wether rich or poor, does not support or need large traditional extended families like they exist traditional in rural farming communities. You need a large crew to work a traditional farm, but there's no need for that when you live in a city. There's also additional pressures like increased housing costs, increased costs of living (you can't live on subsistence agriculture in a city). None of this requires being wealthy, well-educated or culturally particularly westernized for this to affect you, which is exactly why this phenomenon is happening globally.

When linguists open their mouths words flow, subject becomes transparent and easy to comprehend. Great writeup Taranis.

Let's look at Bangladesh contraceptive versus birth rates though:
CPR.jpg

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...uYCQCg&usg=AFQjCNEU9QAk_U45JHKvP6xZdC4sZXyP-g

This thread has been viewed 2684 times.

Back