New Documentary on Celts

caesar said his grandfather told him these facts, Caesar just stated them

Could you please provide a quote for this proposition? Which facts, and about which area of Gaul?

Caesar was all over Gaul and as a good general would, was, I'm sure, collecting information from all sorts of sources about not only places with which he had no personal experience, but even places where he waged war.

CaesarGaulMap.jpg

Could you please provide a quote for this proposition? Which facts, and about which area of Gaul?

Caesar was all over Gaul and as a good general would, was, I'm sure, collecting information from all sorts of sources about not only places with which he had no personal experience, but even places where he waged war.

CaesarGaulMap.jpg

https://books.google.com.au/books?i...=onepage&q=caesar quotes about belgae&f=false

p196

De bello Gallico ....quote 2.4.1

and here is another quote
Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quarum unam incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam qui ipsorum lingua Celtae, nostra Galli appellantur.
All Gaul is divided into three parts, one of which the Belgae inhabit, the Aquitani another, those who in their own language are called Celts, in our Gauls, the third

this quote agrees with the documentary ...............so south-france was not celtic , same as documnetary

https://books.google.com.au/books?i...=onepage&q=caesar quotes about belgae&f=false

p196

Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quarum unam incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam qui ipsorum lingua Celtae, nostra Galli appellantur.
All Gaul is divided into three parts, one of which the Belgae inhabit, the Aquitani another, those who in their own language are called Celts, in our Gauls, the third

this quote agrees with the documentary ...............so south-france was not celtic , same as documnetary

That isn't what I asked. I asked for documentation of the fact that Caesar's knowledge came by way of his grandfather and not through his actual experiences in the Gallic Wars.

What's so special about Ceasar? If you went back 200 years his ancestors were ordinary people. He wasn't apart of an old royal family, he was an ordinary person who's family recently got powerful. Sampling anyone else who lived around Rome in circa 50 BC would be as interesting as getting his DNA.

What's so special about Ceasar? If you went back 200 years his ancestors were ordinary people. He wasn't apart of an old royal family, he was an ordinary person who's family recently got powerful. Sampling anyone else who lived around Rome in circa 50 BC would be as interesting as getting his DNA.

What's special about him as a man? A lot. Just like there was a lot special about Augustus, and Mark Anthony, and Cleopatra, and Cicero, or the Gracchi, or Hannibal or Alexander, or Vercingetorrix, or Boudicca, for that matter. You don't have to like these people or like everything they did to be curious about them.

What's special about his dna (or that of the others)? A lot, if we could ever get hold of it. I'd love for scientists to be able to tell us in depth about a lot of famous people in history and how their genetic profile might have affected who they became. I have a whole list in addition to the ones above: Lorenzo de Medici, a lot of the great Italian Renaissance thinkers, writers and artists, Verdi, Puccini, then onto to the great men of the U.S., Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, and on and on. It's natural. I'm sure everyone would have a unique list.

If all you care about is the yDna and mtDna because your only interest is the Indo-Europeans and who is and who is not descended from them, then I suppose a representative sample from the Republican Era would do. You would have to get patrician dna, however, as well as plebeian dna and make sure it wasn't from foreign merchants, servants etc. Caesar's would come in handy there, as the family was patrician.

I'm not quite getting this. Who says we know what yDna the Trojans carried? I've seen speculation that some of the levels might have been settled by steppe people. Plus, even if they weren't, and we could prove they carried J2a, for example, there was J2a in Europe by 4500 BC in the transition from the mid-to-late Neolithic. E-V13 was there too. What if he carried one of those? Could we get sufficient subclade resolution that we could figure out when his particular line arrived in Italy?

Plus, it's all academic anyway as we don't have his skeleton and are unlikely ever to get it. If we're ever able to test some Roman remains I'll be very surprised if it's all one y Dna line.

I think what has to be kept in mind is that the Romans were jumped up shepherds before they took on the Greeks, and the Carthaginians and the Celts and everyone else. They needed an illustrious ancestry. The Trojans were about as illustrious as you could get if you weren't Greek.

The English did a similar thing, claiming descent from Brutus and the Trojans . No doubt feeling left out, the Scots said they were descended from a Greek prince and his Egyptian wife Scota, who brought with her the Stone of Destiny. I don't think anyone uses that as evidence for what yDna the English and Scots Kings carried. Of course, the Aeneid deserves a little more attention since the genes had been flowing from Anatolia into Europe since the early Neolithic, so it wouldn't be totally outlandish.

As for how many Celts Caesar killed or enslaved I would assume that some exaggeration was involved. However, historians don't rely only on the statements of the participants. Plus, he must have gotten a lot of booty and sold a lot of slaves, because he went from being a relatively poor man to one who has incredibly wealthy, a wealth that he liberally bestowed on the Roman populace, which accounts for some, at least, of his popularity, and likewise for the loathing and distrust of the patricians.

afaik the story about Aenas being of Trojan descend and being the forefathers of the Romans is a totaly fabricated story
Virgil wrote this story at a time Rome was at war with the Greeks and Rome could by no means justify this war
that is why this story was invented

Of course I know Ceasar is an important person in history. What I'm saying is genetically speaking he was normal for his region and era. It's interesting to learn about the genetic background of famous people but they aren't differnt from other non-famous people in their ethnic groups. So, I don't see the point behind getting his DNA instead of another Roman, besides the stuff Ceasar did in his life which has nothing to do with his ancestry(besides recent geneaology).

p196

de bello Gallico wasn't writen by Julius Ceasar himself, he hired some ghostwriters for that
and the purpose was not to inform the Romans about the Gauls
his motiviation was to convince the Romans that he was doing a good job for them in Gaul + self-glorification and image buidling

I've read some speaches of Cicero who I was told was one of the best orators eveer
I was not impressed by the skills of the orator, I was surprised how much succes he had with his unproven insinuations he made about his oponents
his public, the Romans must have been a very ill-informed and a very naive bunch

you can imagine how ill-informed and naive other people were

and as for the Bello Gallico, how much we ever should distrust this information, it is still better than no info at all

I'm not quite getting this. Who says we know what yDna the Trojans carried? I've seen speculation that some of the levels might have been settled by steppe people. Plus, even if they weren't, and we could prove they carried J2a, for example, there was J2a in Europe by 4500 BC in the transition from the mid-to-late Neolithic. E-V13 was there too. What if he carried one of those? Could we get sufficient subclade resolution that we could figure out when his particular line arrived in Italy?

Plus, it's all academic anyway as we don't have his skeleton and are unlikely ever to get it. If we're ever able to test some Roman remains I'll be very surprised if it's all one y Dna line.

I think what has to be kept in mind is that the Romans were jumped up shepherds before they took on the Greeks, and the Carthaginians and the Celts and everyone else. They needed an illustrious ancestry. The Trojans were about as illustrious as you could get if you weren't Greek.

The English did a similar thing, claiming descent from Brutus and the Trojans . No doubt feeling left out, the Scots said they were descended from a Greek prince and his Egyptian wife Scota, who brought with her the Stone of Destiny. I don't think anyone uses that as evidence for what yDna the English and Scots Kings carried. Of course, the Aeneid deserves a little more attention since the genes had been flowing from Anatolia into Europe since the early Neolithic, so it wouldn't be totally outlandish.

As for how many Celts Caesar killed or enslaved I would assume that some exaggeration was involved. However, historians don't rely only on the statements of the participants. Plus, he must have gotten a lot of booty and sold a lot of slaves, because he went from being a relatively poor man to one who has incredibly wealthy, a wealth that he liberally bestowed on the Roman populace, which accounts for some, at least, of his popularity, and likewise for the loathing and distrust of the patricians.

Caesar was not only involved in the war against the Gauls, he was involved in wars his whole carreer.
I've read once he was estimated to be responsable for the death of 20 million people.
That may be highly exaggerated, but he was a big butcher for sure, with very little scrupules.
There was no reason at all to invade Gaul except that it gave him a big boost for his carreer.
I respect much more someone like Vercingetorix who at least was trying to defend his own people.
But I know, these were other times and other morals ..

Caesar was not only involved in the war against the Gauls, he was involved in wars his whole carreer.
I've read once he was estimated to be responsable for the death of 20 million people.
That may be highly exaggerated, but he was a big butcher for sure, with very little scrupules.
There was no reason at all to invade Gaul except that it gave him a big boost for his carreer.
I respect much more someone like Vercingetorix who at least was trying to defend his own people.
But I know, these were other times and other morals ..

I don't agree that the morals of nation states are so different now in most cases. Why did Germany attack Russia barely sixty years ago? Might it have had something to do with all that nice flat land where they hoped to settle industrious German farmers? Well, after they put all the Slavs into the ovens, or starved them or whatever first.

I think greed and the desire to loot had a big part to play in the decision to invade both the Eastern European and Western European countries. They carted away millions of pieces of art as well as the gold reserves of every country they invaded. Manufactured goods as well, and the best of the agricultural products.

Why did Belgium take over the Congo, or France big chunks of North Africa, or Italy Eritrea and parts of Ethiopia for a while? Going back into French history, why did the French so eagerly follow Napoleon in all his exploits?

Or, why did the Spanish take over huge parts of the New World?

Everyone is so enamored of the Indo-Europeans. How did their yDna come to dominate Europe? With a please, and a thank-you, and a by your leave? How did the Celts come to dominate Gaul, for that matter? How many of the prior inhabitants did they kill?

In the case of Caesar personal motivations for wealth and glory played a part, I'm sure, as it plays a part in the goals of all "conquerors". Wasn't it said of Alexander that when he got to India he wept because there were no more lands to conquer?

The fact remains, however, that there were other considerations. I think you're forgetting a little thing like the Celtic invasions of Italy. Both the Celts and the Romans were jostling for supremacy, as were the Greeks and the Etruscans and the Carthaginians. I won't go into more detail as it's a bit off topic, but see...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallic_Wars

The reality of all these historical events is complicated, and one best approaches that reality if one tries not to see everything through the prism of one's own ethnicity. It's difficult not to do that, but it can be done, and it's essential, in my opinion, if one wishes to approach the material with integrity.

I don't agree that the morals of nation states are so different now in most cases. Why did Germany attack Russia barely sixty years ago? Might it have had something to do with all that nice flat land where they hoped to settle industrious German farmers? Well, after they put all the Slavs into the ovens, or starved them or whatever first.

I think greed and the desire to loot had a big part to play in the decision to invade both the Eastern European and Western European countries. They carted away millions of pieces of art as well as the gold reserves of every country they invaded. Manufactured goods as well, and the best of the agricultural products.

Why did Belgium take over the Congo, or France big chunks of North Africa, or Italy Eritrea and parts of Ethiopia for a while? Going back into French history, why did the French so eagerly follow Napoleon in all his exploits?

Everyone is so enamored of the Indo-Europeans. How did their yDna come to dominate Europe? With a please, and a thank-you, and a by your leave? How did the Celts come to dominate Gaul, for that matter? How many of the prior inhabitants did they kill?

In the case of Caesar personal motivations for wealth and glory played a part, I'm sure, as it plays a part in the goals of all "conquerors". Wasn't it said of Alexander that when he got to India he wept because there were no more lands to conquer?

The fact remains, however, that there were other considerations. I think you're forgetting a little thing like the Celtic invasions of Italy. Both the Celts and the Romans were jostling for supremacy, as were the Greeks and the Etruscans and the Carthaginians. I won't go into more detail as it's a bit off topic, but see...

The reality of all these historical events is complicated, and one best approaches that reality if one tries not to see everything through the prism of one's own ethnicity. It's difficult not to do that, but it can be done, and it's essential, in my opinion, if one wishes to approach the material with integrity.
Spot on Angela. Should we mention that men are wired for war. Give young guys weapons and a reason to fight. Forget a reason, give them weapons and they will invent a reason to use them.

Well that is exactly what was special, the same pattern we have today. Most leaders and prominent people these days are the sons and daughters of ordinary folks visa vi to the other status quo of having Monarchs (a form of dictatorship no?). Today's Monarchs are only puppet like anyway as the ancient model is not compatible with our system of democracy. Like it or not, good or bad, Rome has presented a model (a continuation of the Greek) similar to what we have to day.

and not to forget the genocides in Africa, they were neither Roman or Celts, and to be fair anyway for historical correctness, it was the ferocious Celtic attacks from the North that prompted Rome to Unite and defend itself, and it seems they did much more then that. ;)

so Julius Caesar was Hitler
or was it Hitler trying to be Julius Caesar?

A very big difference bicicleur, Hitler was based on Race, Ceaser had a much more inclusive empire and generals were not promoted according to race but anyone 'romanised' irrelevant of their race had same privileges. And so was Alexander the great prior to the rise of the Romans. Its was also known for Roman legions to have had African generals, defiantly not something that Hitler would find fit to do. Big difference

A very big difference bicicleur, Hitler was based on Race, Ceaser had a much more inclusive empire and generals were not promoted according to race but anyone 'romanised' irrelevant of their race had same privileges. And so was Alexander the great prior to the rise of the Romans. Its was also known for Roman legions to have had African generals, defiantly not something that Hitler would find fit to do. Big difference

yes racism is a difference

but both tried to create an empire
and Caesar was more pragmatic

if Caesar organised a revenge raid and you just happened to live in the wrong village, you had bad luck
he slaughtered whole tribes
all in all Caesar commited much more homicides

and it continued till after emperor Nero

after Sulla et al, Rome was a derailed society
and so was Germany after WW I and the Great Depression

but to me my point remains,
it is hard to compare then with what happened in recent times

with what society today would you compare the Celts then?

I really can't believe that's a serious question. Or, from your response to Maleth, that you think Caesar killed, or wanted to kill, more people than Hitler.

Warfare has been a constant in human history down to the present day. I may deplore it, but it's a fact. Probably, to get rid of it, we'd have to get rid of men. I'd personally be sorry to see that happen even if we could solve the procreation issue, but there you have it. Any acquaintance with the philosophy of Hobbes?

Even when talking about war, however, there are differences. Alexander, and Caesar/Augustus, if you want to broaden it out, and even, say, Napoleon, can't be equated with Hitler. They were garden variety conquerors. Once you submitted to their hegemony, as Maleth pointed out, you could accrue all the benefits of the culture or empire on an equal footing with the invaders. In the case of Greece, you became a Hellene, in the case of Rome you became a "Roman". So long as you paid your taxes and didn't revolt, you had all the benefits of the Empire. That's what happened to some of my ancestors, the Celt-Ligurians. Under Napoleon, you got all the reforms that had been introduced with the French Revolution, except for actual democracy, of course.

For a comparison to Hitler you'd have to use someone like Genghis Khan (new biography out on him, which is very interesting), who wanted the steppe cleared of people so that there would be lots of nice pasture land for their herds. Maybe Tamerlane is a good example too. They wanted to exterminate the people they conquered, not just become overlords. We even have more modern examples of that in Europe, with the war in Kosovo, and its "ethnic cleansing" and the use of rape as a weapon of war.

As for the Celts, I would think that their goal when they invaded Italy starting in the first millennium BC, even sacking Rome itself in 390 BC, was sometimes to raid and plunder, and sometimes was to grab some land and become overlords, as was the case with the Greeks, and the Carthaginians, and the Romans. How did they wind up all over northern Italy, otherwise? However, they didn't exterminate the people in the lands they conquered, as can be seen in Liguria, for example. They mingled with them.

The ancestors of the Celts, or those of their ancestors who were Indo-Europeans, might have been a different story. Were the Indo-Europeans just wandering shepherds fleeing drying conditions on the steppe who happened to bring the plague along with them when they encountered the Neolithic Europeans who were already weakened by famine in the relatively sparsely populated northern areas of Europe? Or, were they horse riding hordes who ruthlessly butchered as many of the indigenous men as they could, those who hadn't already succumbed to famine and plague, that is?

I would prefer, given I have some of their ancestry, even if not a lot, the former. Others either just think the latter happened, or positively relish the idea, as they made clear before they were trying to get accepted as quasi-academic researchers.

The jury is still out, don't you think? Although, I find it very suspicious that the mtDna lines survived quite well, but the ylines were almost wiped out.

and not to forget the genocides in Africa, they were neither Roman or Celts, and to be fair anyway for historical correctness, it was the ferocious Celtic attacks from the North that prompted Rome to Unite and defend itself, and it seems they did much more then that. ;)

I'm pretty sure that is incorrect. It was northern Europe defending itself against southern empires. It's always been that way. For example - romanized Britain? Are you suggesting this was originally their territory? It's like me suggesting North America was initially settled by the British 17,000 years ago, or that west Africans were "workers" in America rather than slaves.

Im confused, what does Hitler have to do with the ancient Celts?????

p196

That isn't what I asked. I asked for documentation of the fact that Caesar's knowledge came by way of his grandfather and not through his actual experiences in the Gallic Wars.

That doesn't answer the question I'm sorry to say. Let me reitterate the question again.
How can a Roman Upperclassmen be able to track to Gaul without much documentation and then suddenly mention his trip to young Julius Ceasar.

Here are Ceasar's Granddaddies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_Aurelius_Cotta_(consul_119_BC)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Aurelius_Cotta_Maximus_Messalinus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaius_Julius_Caesar#Gaius_Julius_Caesar_II

I apologize in advance, I understand that the Aneas story is likely fabricated for personal gains although there are certain points in the Gallic Wars that still confuses me.:(
I figured, if the Trojans or Ceasar's remains are impossible to find then it's okay :) It was worth a shot. It was an honesty test at best. But good to know that kings made outlandish ancestry claims.

I'm still con-puzzled how Roman Upperclassmen would be able to track to Gaul without much documentation and then suddenly mention his trip to young Julius Ceasar.

Here are Ceasar's Granddaddies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_Aurelius_Cotta_(consul_119_BC)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Aurelius_Cotta_Maximus_Messalinus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaius_Julius_Caesar#Gaius_Julius_Caesar_II

This thread has been viewed 32708 times.

Back