Teal people found: Caucasians!

Nope, but CW people were also heavily CHG / Teal autosomally:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthr...-R1b-together!&p=122425&viewfull=1#post122425

Coldmountains said:
Unless Khvalynsk included a mixture of different R1a lineages with only one of them being successful and contributing to CWC.
The probability to find the R1a ancestor of modern Indo-Europeans during this period in a single grave is close to zero. Maybe it is from there and maybe it is not from there but a single R1a sample not ancestral to Corded Ware R1a is not disproving this in my opinion. Corded Ware had CHG and to get it their ancestors had to live north of the Caucasus in the Pontic-Caspian steppe. I don't really see how else we can explain their CHG admixture unless we assume that CHG people existed in East Europe what does not really sound likely for me. So Corded Ware R1a is certainly from the Eneolithic steppe but the exact location needs to be found if possible.

So we can discuss them in a thread about Teal people, I guess.

Maybe even R1a M198/M417 or R1a Z645 came with Teal people.

It is also astonishing that so many of Corded Ware guys were M417 but xZ645, according to Genetiker:

https://genetiker.wordpress.com/2015/11/24/more-y-haplogroups-for-prehistoric-eurasian-genomes/

I1532 Germany Corded Ware R1a1a1-M417(xZ645) calls
I1538 Germany Corded Ware R1a1a1-M417(xZ645) calls
I1540 Germany Corded Ware R1a1a1-M417(xZ645) calls
I1541 Germany Corded Ware R1a1a1-M417(xZ645) calls
I1542 Germany Corded Ware R1a1a1-M417(xZ645) calls
I1544 Germany Corded Ware R1a1a1-M417(xZ645) calls

So all these lineages aren't dominant today, because most of Eurasian R1a is under Z645 (also Z93 is).

In case of M417, only rare M417* and rare Western European subclade CTS4385 aren't under Z645.

So it looks like most of Corded Ware male lineages got extinct too.

==================================================

The remaining two Corded Ware samples from this most recent analysis by Genetiker:

I1534 Germany Corded Ware R1a1a-M198 calls
I1536 Germany Corded Ware R1a1a1-M417 calls

Potapovka:

I0246 Russia Potapovka R1a1a1-M417 calls

Timber Grave:

I0361 Russia Timber Grave R1a1a1b2a2-Z2124 calls

Info from Fire Haired - we have CTS4385 / L664 in Corded Ware:

Fire Haired said:
West European R1a-L664 in Corded Ware.

RISE446 2829-2465 BC Corded Ware: R1a1a1a(1a). L664>S3477.

S3477 is a popular form of L664. Added with Z284 from Swedish Corded Ware, that's prove Western R1a is from Corded Ware.

It's unexpected we've found Western R1a before Eastern R1a in Corded Ware.

D-stats with Kotais(Mesolithic Caucasus) and Neolithic Anatolia. It confirms a connection both have with modern and ancient West Asians. However amoung West Asians, Kotais-EEF relation is about the most distant.

http://eurogenes.blogspot.com/2015/...howComment=1448408985581#c1289866988898415385

Notice Anatolia_Neolithic is significantly closer to Hungarian WHG than Luxembourg WHG!!

I'm going to use more D-stats and other methods to unravel what ancient/modern West Asians are. I suspect that they're mostly something related to Loschbour, not very Basal Eurasian, and that modern West Asians are mostly a mixture of Anatolia_Neolithic+CHG types. Also, that CHG is the source of most ANE in West Asia.

An autosomal map for Caucasian Hunter-Gatherer (CHG) - or "Teal" - admixture:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?5833-Teal-discovered-!!/page42

6a5d57f4d459.png

And here a map for IBD sharing with Caucasian Hunter-Gatherers / Teal people:

kotiassnpc-100ibdext.png

Seems to correlate well with Indo-European speakers (look e.g. at Germano-Slavic levels vs. Finno-Ugric levels).

Not only Finnic-speakers have low levels of CHG / Teal admixture & IBD sharing, but also for example Sardinians.

In India North Indians (who are IE-speakers) have high levels, while South Indians (Dravidian-speakers) not.

Note that Uyghurs - who are thought to be Turkicized Tocharians and Iranians - have high CHG / Teal levels too.

I guess this CHG allows for distinguishing "pure Turks" from "Turks who assimilated genetic Indo-Europeans".

Hmm. Autosomally Baltic states have equal CHG with neighbors, but by IBD we have it lower.
So, there is some extra layer of CHG like admixture in Baltics that is not identical by descent to CHG proper.
Same is true for Germany, Denmark, Benilux.

Maybe just noise.

Angela,

For the last time, I don't have a dog in this fight. My interest is intellectual, not emotional. I'm interested in the history and pre-history of Europe. I've been following this interest since university and graduate school. It was at that time that I discovered Luigi Cavalli-Sforza and realized that his and similar researches might be used to answer some of those questions.

Angela mine too is intellectual, really!

What could have led you to believe that I give a darn about the relationship of Italians to PIE? I've already told you that I don't identify with any of these ancient groups. It's all too long ago, and we're all too mixed by now. Plus, everything I've seen in terms of autosomal analyses indicates that Italians in fact have a lot less Yamnaya ancestry than people in northern and eastern Europe. So how could I possibly think that Italians are closer to PIE than Balto Slavs even if I had such a bizarre view of the world?

Well, then I'm sorry, I misjudged your intentions.

It's apparently difficult for you and your side kick Rethel to understand it, but this isn't personal for me. I just try to follow the papers, and I also try not to get too far ahead of the data. So, sometimes I agree with your interpretation of the data, and sometimes I agree with the interpretation of the data of other posters like Alan. I often agree with Bicicleur or Maciamo or Le Brok, but sometimes not. I call it as I see it in each individual case, and not to fit any "side".

I agree that you are not getting ahead of the data (with one exception in which you did get ahead of the data, but about this - read below), but it seems that you are sometimes also slightly lagging behind it. ;)

As for me - I am open to all possibilities even if I get ahead of the data sometimes (but I don't go against the data).

As to "substance", if you're now "certain" about all of this, good for you. I'm not. I don't see why that should be such a problem for you and throw you into this emotional turmoil. You claim to KNOW that Corded Ware represents a movement of Yamnaya people into later Corded Ware areas. I don't believe the academics made that claim, nor do I think there's any proof for that in the archaeology. Rather the opposite. The genetics also show that they were not identical to Yamnaya people. But hey, if you want to go with that, fine with me.

Let's clarify something - I'm not saying that Corded Ware for sure descended from Yamnaya, but that it either descended from Yamnaya, or had a recent common ancestor with Yamnaya (for example Khvalynsk, but maybe something else). And by the way - it seems quite probable that the westward movement of R1b-L51 (or pre-L51 which later gave birth to L51) into Europe also preceded the emergence of Yamnaya culture, so if we are going to claim that PIE did not exist before Yamnaya, and Yamnaya were the VERY FIRST PIEs, then it is possible that L51 was not part of the PIE culture.

So far Yamnaya appears to be overwhelmingly Z2103, which is "Eastern" R1b.

In that same vein, I'd like to direct your attention to your post number 238 in this thread where you have a statement in quotes presumably by me to the effect that:

"And Angela's idea that Balto-Slavs in terms of Y-DNA are "direct descendants of EHGs, not Indo-Europeans" is wrong."

I don't remember saying that, although I might have in a moment of carelessness, so if you can direct me to the thread and post where I said that I would appreciate it as I would like to edit the post. If you can't do that I would appreciate it if you could edit your post to more clearly reflect my opinion on the matter.

What I said in this thread and what is my opinion, is the following:

"I believe, as I said at the time, that the people who helped to form Corded Ware, in particular, could have been a "related" population to Yamnaya and not a descendent of Yamnaya, and therefore an "Indo-Europeanized" population. In either case, however, they were heavier in EHG, and with some EEF, and therefore carrying less "CHG". Further north, some of the Indo-Europeanized groups might have been very heavily EHG. Further south the Indo-European groups might have been more heavily CHG."

I'm not sure if Corded Ware was formed by a Pre-Yamnaya group (ancestral to both Corded Ware and to Yamnaya - that could be for example Khvalynsk), or by some part of Yamnaya who emigrated in that direction. But you are definitely going ahead of the data when you assert with such boldness that "more CHG-like" = Indo-European and "more EHG-like" = Indo-Europeanized. I'm also not sure if Corded Ware were heavier in EHG - weren't they 75% Yamnaya and 25% EEF + WHG ??? So where is that "more EHG", they had just as much EHG as Yamnaya, their additional amount of "some HG" came from local Central European EEF + WHG, not from EHG.

Or maybe I'm missing something and you are more up-to-date with this autosomal stuff.

Although Khvalynsk was more EHG than CHG, even Yamnaya was still slightly more EHG (Yamnaya_Samara appears as 47% CHG and 53% EHG in Mathieson 2015). So why this assumption that CHG were the "original" PIEs, and EHG were "Indo-Europeanized" ??? Of course a smaller group can sometimes assimilate a more numerous group, but in this case EHG has some numerical advantage. And as you know, R1b was present already in Samara EHG, who did not have any CHG admixture. So once again, we don't know if R1b in Yamnaya originated from EHGs, or from CHGs, or yet from someone else (both EHGs tested so far were J).

In Iran there are both basal R1a clades and basal R1b clades. Underhill in his 2014 study on R1a, suggested that R1a perhaps originated from Iran. So if "Teal people" or CHGs came from to the steppe from areas to the south of Caucasus, we cannot exclude the possibility that they carried R1a with them, just like we cannot exclude the possibility that R1b-M269 emerged among EHGs (not among CHGs), because we know for sure, that some R1b existed among EHGs.

As to your comments about the CHG, I'm not sure if you're addressing me. Almost everything I've posted in this thread has been in the form of a question, so I don't understand what you could possibly find that is so upsetting in my comments. I haven't actually made up my mind about some of the implications of this paper. Is that ok with you? When I have, which will probably be after Thanksgiving as I'm cooking for eighteen, I'll undoubtedly post about it.

It is ok with me.

Fwiw I also don't see what's so upsetting about the comments others have made about it

Nothing. We just all got too emotional. But was it my fault? Rather collective fault, if not just Goga's fault.

I'm sorry to see a poster for whom I've felt a great deal of respect go down this path. I actually wasn't including you in that third group although perhaps I was mistaken.

Angela I also feel a great deal of respect for you and I don't want to argue any longer.

I apologize if negative emotions made my posts appear "hostile" or "aggressive".

I think that PIE language emerged only when EHG mixed with CHG / Teal.

Before they mixed, both groups spoke other languages (PIE is simply not so old).

Maybe Teal / CHG spoke something Kartvelian-like, and EHG maybe Uralic-like.

PIE emerged as a kind of a "pidgin language", for lack of a better term.

==========================

But already Khvalynsk was a mix of EHG and Teal / CHG. It did not start with Yamna.

Some parts of CW were under Z645 as well - for example Scandinavian Z284.

Not to mention, that Indo-Iranian Z93 is also descended from Z645.

So not all Z645 is Balto-Slavic.

Note that Uyghurs - who are thought to be Turkicized Tocharians and Iranians - have high CHG / Teal levels too.

I guess this CHG allows for distinguishing "pure Turks" from "Turks who assimilated genetic Indo-Europeans".

Uyghurs are not Turkicized Tocharians and Iranians, Uyghurs were a Turkish tribe who were defeated by rival Turkish tribe on the steppe and fled into the Tarim basin.
But before that, Tocharians and Iraninas were allready there. Uyghur nationalists denie this and claim they were the original aborignees fo Tarim basin.
Teal must have been in Tarim basin before Uyghur.

Some parts of CW were under Z645 as well - for example Scandinavian Z284.

Not to mention, that Indo-Iranian Z93 is also descended from Z645.

So not all Z645 is Balto-Slavic.

ok, but I suspect L664 was much more common and wider spread, especially east during CW than it is today

ok, but I suspect L664 was much more common and wider spread

Yes it seems so. But who replaced it ???

Before Slavic expansion, there were several other expansions into that region.

Maybe L664 was replaced by (mostly) R1b, and later R1b was again replaced by R1a - but Z645.

@Angela,

I don't understand why you are angry at Tomenable. He isn't a Balto-Slavic=Superior IE race. He hasn't posted anything suggesting that's what he thinks.

Uyghurs are not Turkicized Tocharians and Iranians, Uyghurs were a Turkish tribe who were defeated by rival Turkish tribe on the steppe and fled into the Tarim basin.

But when they fled into the Tarim Basin, they assimilated many Tocharians and Iranians.

Also aren't Uyghurs almost identical genetically with Tajiks, who are Iranians (both in language and genes) ??? This would imply that Turkic genetic influence is either low in Uyghurs, or high in Tajiks - the former being much more likely than the later.

Edit:

I think I
confused Uyghurs with Kyrgyz people - Kyrgyz people are similar genetically to Tajiks (IIRC). Uyghurs are different.

I'm going to make a YouTube video describing the basics we've learned with 230 ancient genomes in the last 2 years. You'll get to hear my voice :).

If you look at a map. South Europe takes up a small minority of Europe. It's the three peninsulas: Iberia, Italy, and Balkans. The rest of Europe genetically can be labelled "North Europe", including countries as far south as Hungary and Croatia.
Genetic divide.png

North Europe is essentially EEF/WHG+Yamanya. They're all very closely related. However Italy/Iberia/Balkan have no recent ancestors. What makes South Europe a genetically defined region is they're united in being differnt from North Europe because they have less Yamnaya. The "EF" signal is strongest there, but those common ancestors lived some 8,000 years ago.

North Europe was not Isolated

Yamnaya and EEF/WHG were not the same people at all. Yamnaya wasn't European, EEF/WHG was the European of 3000 BC. Today Yamnaya is considered European, because North Europeans have so much Yamnaya. It doesn't make sense to describe North Europe as isolated region. It was the least isolated region of Europe. It faced massive non-European migrations. South Europe, especially Sardinia, was isolated. Also, just as Yamnaya came into North Europe, as did West Asians come into South Europe. The West Asian migrations into South Europe are more mysterious because of a lack of ancient DNA from there.

Fire Haired14 said:
North Europe is essentially EEF/WHG+Yamanya. They're all very closely related. However Italy/Iberia/Balkan have no recent ancestors. What makes South Europe a genetically defined region is they're united in being differnt from North Europe because they have less Yamnaya. The "EF" signal is strongest there, but those common ancestors lived some 8,000 years ago.
Isn't there also a divide for North-West and North-East, defined by less EEF and more WHG in North-East ???

Yamnaya levels are similar all the way from Ireland to Latvia, but there are differences in the other two components.

IIRC Germans, and even Scandinavians (except for Finns and maybe Swedes), have more EEF than Balts or North-East Slavs.

Maybe I'm wrong, though. Maybe these differences aren't significant enough to justify another division apart from south/north.

Yamnaya and EEF/WHG were not the same people at all. Yamnaya wasn't European, EEF/WHG was the European of 3000 BC. Today Yamnaya is considered European, because North Europeans have so much Yamnaya. It doesn't make sense to describe North Europe as isolated region. It was the least isolated region of Europe. It faced massive non-European migrations. South Europe, especially Sardinia, was isolated.
Yes it seems that it was easier for Yamnaya to replace previous population in the north, because it had been less numerous to begin with. Southern regions with higher population density and more sophisticated cultures were affected as well, but not so much.

@Tomenable,

There's lots of diversity in North Europe. Lots of that diversity is defined by differnt ratios of Yamnaya/EEF+WHG. Other diversity is drift and non-North Euro admixture(eg, Siberian admixture in Russia, Finland).

This type of stuff was more the focus before Lazardis 2013 came out. ADMIXTURE detects Balto-Slavic centered components which differentiate them from NorthWest Europe. There could be a lot of other differences. I don't trust a simple NorthWest/East divide. The West/East divide after World War 2 might be influencing people's thinking. And uniform Slavic speaking East Europe today might also be influencing people's thinking. Nothing connects Germans and Celts, except R1b-L11. The Romans saw them as two distinct people. Maybe because English are Celto-Germanic, British and Anglo-Americans liked the idea of Celto-Germanic. I don't know.

I don't want to give the impression I think everything suddenly stopped 4,000 years ago. Most of Europe is North Europe. So, there were lots of migrations but among closely related people. In the Early Middle Ages alone, you had Germans and Slavs going everywhere. Even 4,000 years ago it was culturally diverse, the new hybrids(EEF/WHG+Yamnaya) were not an ethnic group.

@Angela,

I don't understand why you are angry at Tomenable. He isn't a Balto-Slavic=Superior IE race. He hasn't posted anything suggesting that's what he thinks.

Exactly!

I would even admit that Southern Europeans are superior in a way, if they resisted Yamnaya invaders for so long and managed to "remain themsevles". :) Plus - arguably - all of Classical civilization in Europe is from Greece and Italy, inherited by Celto-Germanic barbarians who thus "civilized themselves", and then Greco-Roman cultural achievements were mediated via the Holy Roman Empire to other barbarians living more in the east... :) Of course we might argue that the Proto-Italics had - at least initially - a Yamnaya-derived leadership and language, but still they were the ones who created the largest empire, not more Yamnaya-admixed folks in the north.

Well it seems that Northern Europe did not put up much resistance but fell pretty quickly to Yamnaya invaders, while in the Mediterranean world Non-IE speakers existed for a longer time (Carthage, Etruscans, etc.) and some of them still exist today (Basques).

And while Northern Europeans today are more Yamnaya-admixed, they are still at least ca. 50% Non-Yamnaya (IIRC).

So Angela is right, that nobody today can claim that they are "pure and superior Proto-Indo-Europeans".

Yes it seems so. But who replaced it ???

Before Slavic expansion, there were several other expansions into that region.

Maybe L664 was replaced by (mostly) R1b, and later R1b was again replaced by R1a - but Z645.

that is possible, but it seems L664 survived better in the west than in the east

if the R1b were Bell Beakers, they were more forming an elite without replacing the whole population

This thread has been viewed 168993 times.

Back