• Yes,but not always

Votes: 15 8.7%
  • Yes, I don't like meat

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Yes, I don't want to kill animals

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Yes, because of my religion

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Yes, I am vegan (no animal product at all, including eggs and milk)

Votes: 9 5.2%

• Total voters
No, and I don't plan to be either. Why? Because I try (or plan, as I still live with my parents) to eat local and seasonal and if I were vegetarian, that would mean surviving on carrots and cabbages in winter. I try to eat less meat, as I understand the conventional meat industry is very polluting (but so is getting your food from the other end of the world) and we simply don't need the amount of meat that is in this day and age eaten in the western world.

Of course, there are regions in the world where there are plenty of fruits and vegetables all year-round, were eating vegetarian and even vegan is easy and sustainable. But that isn't the case everywhere. There are also many places (deserts and very cold places) where you simply can't find not-animal derived foods (food= something that humans can digest and get nutrients from) so, for the people that live there like the tuareg in the sahara desert and the inuit, living of animal products and particularly meat is the easiest and most sustainable options and their digestive systems are used to that.

Conclusion: eat whatever the **** you want but take care of mother earth, by not consuming too much and making boats and planes travel around the world five times before you get your beloved avocado's.

I have tried to be a vegetarian but it didn't last long haha. Maybe I will try again some day.

Nope, and will never be.

Nope, and will never be.

Me neither, and not just because I love meat. I think eating meat influenced how we developed (big brains for one thing) and I also think our bodies are adapted for it.

Vegetarianism, and veganism, even more so, is, imo, an artificial life style choice which requires constant vigilance to try and get the proper nutrients. That doesn't mean I think you have to eat a ton of meat or fish, but some of it is good for us.

Me neither, and not just because I love meat. I think eating meat influenced how we developed (big brains for one thing) and I also think our bodies are adapted for it.

Vegetarianism, and veganism, even more so, is, imo, an artificial life style choice which requires constant vigilance to try and get the proper nutrients. That doesn't mean I think you have to eat a ton of meat or fish, but some of it is good for us.

I agree with all the above, especially after reading The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith, a former vegan. I tried vegetarianism years ago (not really actually, because I was still eating meat once in a while), but it didn't agree with me. I need meat to function properly. Vegetarianism is not as bad as veganism though. Some of the most extreme vegans even refuse to eat honey…

I agree with all the above, especially after reading The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith, a former vegan. I tried vegetarianism years ago (not really actually, because I was still eating meat once in a while), but it didn't agree with me. I need meat to function properly. Vegetarianism is not as bad as veganism though. Some of the most extreme vegans even refuse to eat honey…

What did you eat as a vegetarian ? there is a difference between vegan and vegetarian though.

What did you eat as a vegetarian ? there is a difference between vegan and vegetarian though.

I ate eggs, so-called "healthy" whole grains, veggies and fruit. Some dairy. Not eating meat doesn't agree with me, full stop. I respect others' free will to choose what diet is best for them. I expect others to do the same for me.

I ate eggs, so-called "healthy" whole grains, veggies and fruit. Some dairy. Not eating meat doesn't agree with me, full stop. I respect others' free will to choose what diet is best for them. I expect others to do the same for me.

I do respect others dietary choice of course even though I have met many meat eaters that had a problem with me being vegan. But I noticed most people who have claimed to be vegan usually have done something wrong in the process.

Vegan and vegetarian arent the same thing. Vegans eat no animal products at all while vegetarians do eat eggs, dairy and stuff like that.

The author of that book you mentioned was never a vegan but more like a vegetarian, she consumed eggs, dairy cheese and various other animal products.

Then there are those people that do go vegan but have no idea about plant based nutrition or cooking which can be learned through books, articles online and even just youtube videos. These same people end up blaming a ''Vegan'' diet rather than themselves.

Then there are people that go vegan for the animals and for the environment , many of these people have no idea about plant based nutrition so they end up unhealthy and eat junk food.

Personally, I became a vegan because I started finding it disgusting to eat meat, especially when I saw the way they were slaughtered, that its a living being with feelings . It just grossed me out. So I started stopping that. Then I watched a video that explained where dairy came from, how it is actually not meant for human consumption but rather for baby calves, how we take this milk from them and slaughter their calves, and I was absolutely disgusted so I stopped that too. There I was , had no idea what to eat and I would rather starve to death than to eat something that came from an animal again, so I ate a lot of junk that had no animal product in it, but then I started picking up these books on healthy plant based nutrition , read articles and watched videos and I started learning a lot. I realised we dont even need animal products to be healthy and thrive , it is a huge myth. I also realised the food is absolutely delicious. The better cook you become the more delicious. It opened a whole new world.

Now veganism has become much more to me, I am also contributing to not kill animals or other living beings. I am contributing to not mess up our planet as animal agriculture is destroying it. While at the same time I can be healthy and fit.

I believe a plant based diet is the healthiest diet, the so called Meditarrean diet is almost like a vegan or plant based diet and the people from Southern Europe that consumed such a diet were shown to be healthier than people that consumed more animal based diet.

At the end of the day, I respect anyones choice but to this very day I have yet to see a legitimate arguement against veganism. Its usually based on misconceptions and that we developed to eat meat is a myth. Our earlier ancestors were actually plant eaters.

Meat is ok when you don't have to chew it 50 times. I don't enjoy meat that's super tough and lacking in taste. White meat from chicken breasts and pork is so incredibly boring and tedious on par with chewing a flavorless stick of gum

Processed meats like baloney, ham, hot dogs, and ground beef for cheeseburgers and chili? Best ever!

Hominids were always on the verge of extinction. They couldn't afford such qualms of conscience. They ate anything and everything digestible. That's actually been true up until very recent times.

In terms of meat, hominids began eating it 2.6 million years ago.
https://www.nature.com/scitable/knowledge/library/evidence-for-meat-eating-by-early-humans-103874273

Macronutrients from meat are extremely important, and before the easy transport of different kinds of plant foods from one area to another it would have been very difficult for hominids and even humans of prior areas to substitute certain plant foods or combinations of them to get those macronutrients.

"[FONT=&quot]According to this hypothesis, the micronutrients gained from meat are so important that even small scraps of meat are worth the very high energy expenditure that cooperative hunting entails. Important components of meat include not only vitamins A and K, calcium, sodium, and potassium, but also iron, zinc, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12; the latter, although necessary for a balanced primate diet, is present only in small quantities in plants. In addition, macronutrients such as fat and protein, hard to come by in the environments where chimpanzees live, may be important dietary components of meat-eating."

The article also traces the fossil record and artifacts to show the age of the practice.
[/FONT]
https://www.americanscientist.org/article/meat-eating-among-the-earliest-humans

Our gut system evolved into one suited for meat eaters.
"[FONT=&quot]It seems that our bodies had to adjust gradually, first getting hooked on seeds and nuts, which are rich in fats but poor in fiber. If our ancestors ate a lot of them, such a diet would have encouraged the growth of the small intestine (where the digestion of lipids takes place) and the shrinking of the caecum (where fibers are digested). This would have made our guts better for processing meat. A seed-and-nut diet could have prepared our ancestors for a carnivorous lifestyle in another way, too: It could have given them the tools for carving carcasses. Some researchers suggest that the simple stone tools used for pounding seeds and nuts could have easily been reassigned to cracking animal bones and cutting off chunks of flesh. And so, by 2.5 million years ago, our ancestors were ready for meat: They had the tools to get it and the bodies to digest it.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]But being capable is one thing; having the will and skill to go out and get meat is quite another. So what inspired our ancestors to look at antelopes and hippos as potential dinners? The answer, or at least a part of it, may lie in a change of climate approximately 2.5 million years ago. As the rains became less abundant, so did the fruits, leaves, and flowers that our ancestors relied on. Much of the rain forest turned into sparsely wooded grasslands, with few high-quality plants to eat but with more and more grazing animals. During the long, dry spell from January through April, our ancestors would have had problems getting enough food, and to find their usual fare, they would have had to expend more time and calories. Early hominins were at an evolutionary crossroads. Some, like the australopiths, chose to eat large quantities of lower-quality plants; others, like early Homo, went for meat. The australopiths ended up extinct, but early Homosurvived to evolve into modern humans."
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/02/when-humans-became-meateaters/463305/

Now, if people, for reasons of conscience or anything else, no longer wish to consume meat, that's of course their choice, but the facts are the facts.[/FONT]

Then I watched a video that explained where dairy came from, how it is actually not meant for human consumption but rather for baby calves, how we take this milk from them and slaughter their calves, and I was absolutely disgusted so I stopped that too.
I totally respect not wanting to kill (higher) animals. That's all that's needed to justify being a vegan. Nothing but human milk is *meant* to be eaten by humans (unless you count domesticates!). Cow milk is intended to be highly nourishing for mammals closely related to us. Nutritious plant foods are either cheap (carbon not nitrogen) bribes to spread seed (fruit) or the plant's energy storage reserves (mostly seeds and roots/tubers) which are most definitely not intended for animals and are commonly defended with poison. But humans are absolutely omnivores and have always eaten everything we can get our hands on. Mammals are generally at least somewhat omnivorous: I recently saw a study tracking wolves in Voyageur National Park, where it seems they spend the summer months gorging on blueberries. And at our local bird sanctuary when they catch birds in nets for banding if they have to be careful not to leave them too long unattended, as the deer will eat them.

Just tell the vegans you killed the cow/pig/chicken in self defense

Hominids were always on the verge of extinction. They couldn't afford such qualms of conscience. They ate anything and everything digestible. That's actually been true up until very recent times.
Earliest ancestors of humans and even most of our ancestors thousands of years ago were mostly plant eaters. Meat was rare in many cultures. Humans mostly ate meat for survival but it isn't a neccessity in this day and age nor do we need it for survival anymore. They had to hunt for meat and didn't eat as much meat as is eaten today in no way. Because we once ate meat for survival or ate anything and everything doesn't justify to eat it today. When it's not needed. When you also look at other apes, they are mostly plant eaters. Not to mention the fact that agriculture in this day and age is destroying our planet as we are also consuming more meat than ever. Our ancestors did not live this way.

Macronutrients from meat are extremely important, and before the easy transport of different kinds of plant foods from one area to another it would have been very difficult for hominids and even humans of prior areas to substitute certain plant foods or combinations of them to get those macronutrients."According to this hypothesis, the micronutrients gained from meat are so important that even small scraps of meat are worth the very high energy expenditure that cooperative hunting entails. Important components of meat include not only vitamins A and K, calcium, sodium, and potassium, but also iron, zinc, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12; the latter, although necessary for a balanced primate diet, is present only in small quantities in plants. In addition, macronutrients such as fat and protein, hard to come by in the environments where chimpanzees live, may be important dietary components of meat-eating."

All those nutrients can easily be found in plants and are not even made naturally by animals. Those very animals have absorbed those vitamins and nutrients from the plants they have eaten or their diet. Vitamin B12 isn't naturally produced by animals but rather is found in soil which the animals pick up. This is why many meat eaters are Vitamin B12 deficient. Vitamin B12 can be found in other sources or you could take it as a supplement. Many meat eaters are also vitamin D deficient and folate deficient This is why you also see many meat eaters and animal eaters take supplements. Protein can easily be found in beans and many other plant foods and is actually a much healthier source of protein than from meat, protein from meat is actually cancer promoting while protein from plants is rather the opposite. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK216648/https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5963616/

Also showed fat from animals as unhealthy. There are plenty of other studies. Now I have seen ''studies'' that try to argue against this by claiming meat containts nurtients , all those nutrients can be found in plants , these nurtients have been picked up from plants by the animals. Doesn't make actual meat healthy, protein in meat is unhealthy, it also containts unhealthy fat and high cholestorol.

Calcium can be found in plants and is actually much healthier than the calcium you would recieve from milk from another mammal which isn't even meant for a human to consume in the first place but actually for the mammals baby. In the same way it would be dumb to take milk from the breast of a human woman and sell it in stores instead of giving it to her baby. Fat can be found in seeds.

You also forgot how meat totally lacks fiber which is only found in plant foods and is important to human health. You also forgot how meat consumption and dairy are linked to increase rates of cancer and various other diseases.

Meat is classified as a type 1 carcogenic food by the world health organization. Which means that it is a toxic food , pretty much. Except for B12 which can be found naturally in soil or from a supplement, a correct plant based diet containts much more nutrients than an animal based diet pretty much and can get you all the nurtients you need if done correctly.

Even WHFoods lists a Vegan diet as healthier

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=363

Our gut system evolved into one suited for meat eaters."It seems that our bodies had to adjust gradually, first getting hooked on seeds and nuts, which are rich in fats but poor in fiber. If our ancestors ate a lot of them, such a diet would have encouraged the growth of the small intestine (where the digestion of lipids takes place) and the shrinking of the caecum (where fibers are digested). This would have made our guts better for processing meat. A seed-and-nut diet could have prepared our ancestors for a carnivorous lifestyle in another way, too: It could have given them the tools for carving carcasses. Some researchers suggest that the simple stone tools used for pounding seeds and nuts could have easily been reassigned to cracking animal bones and cutting off chunks of flesh. And so, by 2.5 million years ago, our ancestors were ready for meat: They had the tools to get it and the bodies to digest it.But being capable is one thing; having the will and skill to go out and get meat is quite another. So what inspired our ancestors to look at antelopes and hippos as potential dinners? The answer, or at least a part of it, may lie in a change of climate approximately 2.5 million years ago. As the rains became less abundant, so did the fruits, leaves, and flowers that our ancestors relied on. Much of the rain forest turned into sparsely wooded grasslands, with few high-quality plants to eat but with more and more grazing animals. During the long, dry spell from January through April, our ancestors would have had problems getting enough food, and to find their usual fare, they would have had to expend more time and calories. Early hominins were at an evolutionary crossroads. Some, like the australopiths, chose to eat large quantities of lower-quality plants; others, like early Homo, went for meat. The australopiths ended up extinct, but early Homosurvived to evolve into modern humans."https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/02/when-humans-became-meateaters/463305/

Yes , this was mostly for survival reasons, as the article says at a time during climate change but we didn't actually evovle to eat it nor do we need it for survival today. The article says basically they had to eat it to survive because they had no access to other foods due to a climate change. And we had to hunt for it and didn't have it easily available which means in most cases we still chose easier available plants.

We don't need it to survive today. Throughout most of history we were still plant eaters and we grew and cultivated plant foods. Meat Eating was adopted during time of surivival when it was needed, as the article says. This climate change only affected parts of the globe and only certain humans and which is why you see also apes never died off despite being mostly plant eaters. They are also actually physically stronger than humans.

Truth is , our ancestors didn't eat nearly as much meat as we eat today nor is it needed today for survival normismit really justified.

The article isn't saying we need meat, it is actually admitting that our ancestors were plant eaters but at one point some of them had to eat meat in some parts of the globe in order to survive through a certain period of time, this doesn't mean that throughout most human history we only ate meat or ate heavily meat or that we need it for survival in general. We still ate plants and cultivated plant foods and in most cases was easier available since we had to hunt for meat.

Our gut system hasn't really evolved to eating meat nor is eating meat supposedly healthy for our gut system.

This study actually found Vegans had a healthier gut than meat eaters as Vegans also had less inflammation

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4245565/

Not only that, but they found these Vegans had also other incredible health benefits compared to meat eaters which I can't bother to qoute so you can just click the link and read.

Now, if people, for reasons of conscience or anything else, no longer wish to consume meat, that's of course their choice, but the facts are the facts.

The facts are animal agriculture is destroying our planet , we don't need meat to survive, we are also breeding animals into existence and enslaving them when it isnt even needed.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...mental-impact-james-cameron-suzy-amis-cameron

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact_of_meat_production

Meat and dairy industry are also propgandists and money making scammers , its a billion dollar industry, basically like a mob.

Facts are facts.

You either didn't read or didn't understand the links. Your body is adapted to meat eating. That's how it evolved. It functions better with a little meat and fish and eggs. You are so concerned for the environment, but don't realize or acknowledge that in order to provide you with all that variety of plant material twelve months a year gas guzzling planes and trucks pollute the atmosphere. If you wear plastic shoes, that process pollutes the environment too. No matter.

It's very simple: eat what you want. I couldn't care less. Just stop propagandizing and putting down other people's choices.

It's just so typical of this era. Totalitarians of every variety are proliferating like mushrooms after a rainstorm.

57eeab6b8eef5.image.jpg

You either didn't read or didn't understand the links. Your body is adapted to meat eating. That's how it evolved. It functions better with a little meat and fish and eggs. You are so concerned for the environment, but don't realize or acknowledge that in order to provide you with all that variety of plant material twelve months a year gas guzzling planes and trucks pollute the atmosphere. If you wear plastic shoes, that process pollutes the environment too. No matter.

It's very simple: eat what you want. I couldn't care less. Just stop propagandizing and putting down other people's choices.

It's just so typical of this era. Totalitarians of every variety are proliferating like mushrooms after a rainstorm.

I did read the part you qouted. I should of kept it shorter. Felt like too much babbling. And we didn't evolve to eat meat. We adopted it at one point when we had to survive. This doesn't make us meat eaters.

A little meat and egg isn't the same as meat and egg everyday. And no it doesn't function better, you can get all the nutrients from plants without harming or killing other beings. You clearly didn't read the studies that show this. Meat and animal products are shown to cause inflammation in the human body. We are far from meat eaters.

Because planes , trucks and plastic pollute our environment doesn't justify to enslave and kill other living beings when it's not needed.

Your taste buds aren't worth more than the life of an animal.

You should maybe take a trip to a slaughterhouse, workers there suffer from PTSD.

You can eat whatever you want, at the end of the day it's still your choice , but facts are the facts.

In reality you're just buying a product that somebody else has slaughtered.

Btw, I think the admin should make a thumb button so it shows who it is that has clicked it , less likely to get abused. As I did not thumb down your post.

I am not a vegetarian but there are times wherein I try not to consume meat as I want to lose weight.

This thread has been viewed 183107 times.

Back