Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
more celtic
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b - L21/S145*
mtDNA haplogroup
H3c
Is there a thread about GAC DNA? I dont find any, maybe I missed something? - something interesting on Polishgenes (no Yamnaya)

Is there a thread about GAC DNA? I dont find any, maybe I missed something? - something interesting on Polishgenes (no Yamnaya)

From one of the latest papers we learned that they were about 60/40 EEF/WHG and all tested I2a. IIRC.
It was just before Bronze Age and Corded Ware expansion. No direct connection with modern Poles.

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

[h=2]Here under the abstract from Polishgenes

Tuesday, May 16, 2017[/h] [h=3]Globular Amphora people starkly different from Yamnaya people[/h]

The figure below is from the recent Mathieson et al. 2017 preprint; slightly edited to highlight the results of nine Globular Amphora Culture (GAC) samples from two burial sites in what are now Poland and Ukraine.

Despite living in East Central Europe at about the same time as the nearby Yamnaya people of the Pontic-Caspian Steppe, these GAC individuals show practically zero Yamnaya-related or steppe ancestry (note the almost total absence of the orange "Yamnaya" component in the Globular_Amphora results in the ADMIXTURE bar graph). Instead, they're very similar to Chalcolithic and Middle Neolithic Central and Western Europeans, with whom they overlap in the Principal Component Analysis (PCA).

During the tail end of the GAC period, East Central Europe was suddenly dominated by a new archaeological complex called the Corded Ware Culture (CWC). Although most CWC individuals sampled to date show minor GAC-related ancestry, they're overwhelmingly Yamnaya-like, which suggests that by and large the CWC population has its origins on the Pontic-Caspian Steppe. In fact, some of the earliest CWC examples from the Baltic States, such as Latvia_LN in the ADMIXTURE bar graph, are basically identical to Yamnaya people.

It was suggested not long ago that the presence of Yamnaya-related ancestry in modern-day Europeans could be mostly explained by the so called Isolation-by-Distance phenomenon (see here). But as I said at the time, this was a major faux pas, and thanks to these GAC samples I now have direct evidence from ancient DNA to back me up. So forget the idea of anything resembling a gentle cline in Yamnaya-like ancestry east to west across Europe before proto-CWC and Yamnaya exploded from the steppes.

By the way, in that critique I said that it's not possible to recapitulate ancient populations with ADMIXTURE components. I stand by that statement, although as we can see in Mathieson et al. 2017, it is possible to get close at times with enough of the right ancient samples; close enough to make some general observations anyway.

Interestingly, on the PCA plot, the European Bronze Age cluster is more or less half way between GAC and Latvia_LN. This is also where modern-day Poles and Ukrainians cluster on such plots when they're not significantly skewed by projection bias or shrinkage. Thus, I do wonder if the Slavs of East Central Europe are essentially a 50/50 mixture of early CWC and late GAC? I'll try and test this when the Mathieson et al. 2017 dataset goes online.

Reference...

Mathieson et al., The Genomic History Of Southeastern Europe, bioRxiv, Posted May 9, 2017, doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/135616

in the paper: [...
We also report the first data from the Late Neolithic Globular Amphora Complex. Globular Amphora individuals from two sites in Poland and Ukraine form a tight genetic cluster, showing genetic homogeneity over a large distance (Figure 1B,D). We findthat this population had more hunter-gatherer ancestry than Middle Neolithic groups from Central Europe (we estimate 25%[CI:27%] WHG ancestry, similar to Chalcolithic Iberia). This finding further extends our knowledge of the variable landscape of hunter-gatherer and farmer admixture proportions in Europe
Supplementary Data Table 3 -In east-central Europe, the Globular Amphora Complex immediately precedes the Corded Ware Complex that marks the first appearance of steppe ancestry in the region.

The Globular Amphora abutted populations with steppe-influenced material cultures for hundreds of years and yet the

individuals in our study have no evidence of steppe ancestry, suggesting that this persistent culture frontier corresponded to a genetic barrier. ...]

In fact I passed over it, it was in the study about South-East Europe transition by Mathieson (Scottish clan) and Cy - the EEF-like seems a bit stronger, or the WHG/(+little EHG) weaker - Y-I? (I foud only 1 in Ancestral Journeys Jean Manco); all the way I should not be too surprised if Y-I2a was heavy, perhaps with a good taste of I2a2? These Y-I2a lineages seem having taken the strong side upon previously (and yet) autosomally EEF Neolithic pops of Central-South-East Europe at the LN times; Y-I2a2 was dominant in the MN-LN ALPc culture of East Hungary Carpathian Bassin spite EEF (anatolian) auDNA and mt-DNA still heavier - it could be that descendants of these pops took part later in the multi-origins Unetice complex? (melting pot at first?, with diverse religions and diverse types of houses at some stage) - and Y-2a2 was dominant in some parts of Ukraina among partly neolithicized pops, but then with HG's mt-DNA; I 've to put ma hand upon an abstract (metrics) about Körös-Cris and ALP and "proto-europoids" introgressions in Carpathian Bassin before the official so called Steppic intrusions there...
But it would be good having more detailed downstream SNP's of all these Y-I2a. Because Funnel/TRB of West had also - I think so - a good taste of Y-I2a(1 & 2) with them...
the surprise is still that BB's would have no "contact" with GAC, and CWC very very few with GAC -
Good night, oidhche mhath, nos da i chi

What i find strange is that Central German Corded Ware is physically most similar to Central German GAC than Kurgan peoples (I. Schwidetzky 70s) . Maybe steppe people altered the genotype of the Central European populations but not the phenotype (??)

schwidetzky-infl-table4.jpg

We cannot rely on ONE aspect of skulls to decide who is closer or farther than another. And what we can see here is that there was a variation for this unique trait within GAC sites pops with a kind of slope between Germany and Romania - ATW the GAC in the paper are from E-POland/Ukraina and they cannot be taken as the "bible" for other GAC sites: surely a common element diffused the culture but they mingled with elements of other pops, at least at a small scale.
and the phenotype is depending on A PART of the total genotype; that said I believe phenotype can say us more upon shirt evolution than do auDNA admixture which is very "generalistic" when taken as a whole, and not segment by segment.

GAC finally majority of Y-I2a2 (in other threads) and about 30% WHG.

Do we have phenotype informations (pigmentation) for this people ?

Did the eef/whg genes in Corded Ware and later cultures of Central Europe came from GAC or from another source?

NO based answer to date. Sorry

And 75% EEF like. The hunter-gatherers around there seem, what, dark haired, dark eyed, some medium skin color, some fair?

On the other hand, didn't he supposedly find "white" people in Peru?

And 75% EEF like. The hunter-gatherers around there seem, what, dark haired, dark eyed, some medium skin color, some fair?

On the other hand, didn't he supposedly find "white" people in Peru?

White Gods

Seriously though I'm blown away by all his Neolithic Britain samples that show blonde, Blue Eyes, and light skin. Why is no one freaking out about this? Isn't this against everything we've learned about pigmentation in Europe over the past 50K years?

Seriously though I'm blown away by all his Neolithic Britain samples that show blonde, Blue Eyes, and light skin. Why is no one freaking out about this? Isn't this against everything we've learned about pigmentation in Europe over the past 50K years?

Speaking only for myself, I don't follow his blog, so I'm just repeating what people are saying here. I didn't know he was predicting that for the British Neolithic as well as Globular Amphora.

I'll just say that the predictions I've heard about by him for more ancient samples like the hunter-gatherers are sometimes, if not often, at variance with the predictions of the academic papers, with him saying they would have been fairer skinned.

So, I don't know how seriously to take his predictions.

Does he claim the early Neolithic farmers in Spain, for example, were fair? That's certainly not what the academics say. If they weren't, how could the British Neolithic people be blonde, blue-eyed, and fair skinned? Much of the ancestry for these British Neolithic farmers would have arrived, would it not, by way of the coastlines around from Spain? Or at least perhaps Cardial people who first went up the Rhone?

Neolithic farmers having light skin was the norm, I thought that was well-established, if anything these Brits were a little darker than average. Blue eye variant was already at substantial frequency among the Anatolian farmers, these farmers are Middle Neolithic with an extra 30% or so of WHG admixture. Out of 38 British Neolithic samples with hair colour predictions 4 are blond, most are black. Maybe that is more than usual but it doesn't seem like something to flip out about.

PS maybe a difference in what is meant by light skin. I don't think this means light on a European scale but on a global scale.

That certainly makes more sense. It sounded like Genetiker was predicting that the British Neolithic farmers were all blonde, blue-eyed, modern European fair skinned people.

As I pointed out in two threads just yesterday, we already had relatively fair skinned, blue-eyed farmers in early Neolithic Hungary as per Gamba et al. There were some similar farmers in Anatolia. One of the farmers in Neolithic Hungary even was proposed to have blonde hair.

So, British Neolithic farmers might indeed have had people among them who were dark haired, blue eyed, and "relatively" fair skinned. Some might even have had blonde hair, although as I said, I don't know what forensic algorithm he is using, and which snps are included, nor the probability.

What about intermediate "green" eyes? Are they included in the brown or blue category in these predictions?

[Edit]...Nevermind, i've found it, apparently were common among BB

utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 18568 times.

Back