Ancestry of Pontic Greeks

Kari

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Sarakatsani,Pontic Greek
Y-DNA haplogroup
I2a
Pontic Greeks are considered as the ancestors of ionian greeks who settled in Trabzon.Is that true?

According to my research based on vahaduo,Pontic Greeks have 19% european ancestry and 81% asian.Pontic Greeks have 16,8% Greek ancestry.

Vahaduo_ Global 25 Views.jpg
Red dot is Pontic Greeks

By the way can someone help me post sources from Admixture JS? I cant.

Pontic Greeks are considered as the ancestors of ionian greeks who settled in Trabzon.Is that true?

According to my research based on vahaduo,Pontic Greeks have 19% european ancestry and 81% asian.Pontic Greeks have 16,8% Greek ancestry.

View attachment 13429
Red dot is Pontic Greeks

By the way can someone help me post sources from Admixture JS? I cant.

Wait for an ancient Ionic sample and use other sources that could make historical sense e.g. a 'Colchian' CHG heavy source. Maybe Iranic (Persian), Anatolian (Cappadocian) and Semetic ('White Syrian') sources. Maybe Imperial Roman?

Wait for an ancient Ionic sample and use other sources that could make historical sense e.g. a 'Colchian' CHG heavy source. Maybe Iranic (Persian), Anatolian (Cappadocian) and Semetic ('White Syrian') sources. Maybe Imperial Roman?

Yes we must wait for an ancient ionic sample.I think that colchian makes historical sense.Colchis was in Georgia and Laz people are from Georgia.

The colonists were already a mix of Ionic and Carian people when they settled there (Eastern Pontus). Historical and ethnographic sources mention the Macrones (proto-Kartvelians, later to be named Tzan/Tsan/Tzanni) and the Colchians (ancestors of the Laz speakers) as their immediate neighbors (see Herodotus and Xenophon). That's in pre-Roman and early Roman era.

During Byzantine times, especially of the late period, ie post-1204 A.D., there is historical mention of other groups like the local Laz, Georgians, Armenians, Christianised Turks and others, as being part of the population corpus of the Komnenian Empire of Trebizond.

Then you have the Western/Bithynian Pontics who are mentioned as colonists/relatives to Capaddocians and Thracians, those of the Crimean peninsula, as well as the rest of the Caucasus, like Georgia and Abkhazia, etc.

So there is variation between each geographical part.

The colonists were already a mix of Ionic and Carian people when they settled there (Eastern Pontus). Historical and ethnographic sources mention the Macrones (proto-Kartvelians, later to be named Tzan/Tsan/Tzanni) and the Colchians (ancestors of the Laz speakers) as their immediate neighbors (see Herodotus and Xenophon). That's in pre-Roman and early Roman era.

During Byzantine times, especially of the late period, ie post-1204 A.D., there is historical mention of other groups like the local Laz, Georgians, Armenians, Christianised Turks and others, as being part of the population corpus of the Komnenian Empire of Trebizond.

Then you have the Western/Bithynian Pontics who are mentioned as colonists/relatives to Capaddocians and Thracians, those of the Crimean peninsula, as well as the rest of the Caucasus, like Georgia and Abkhazia, etc.

So there is variation between each geographical part.

I agree that the colonists were a mix of ionic-carian dna.

Can we get a higher def image?

This thread has been viewed 2876 times.

Back