Religion The age of conventional farming and conventional religion

lexico

Chukchi Salmon
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Paleo-Asian
A hypothesis on the origin of farming and religion and some questions regarding the evolution of modern ideas

Social behavior of the human species evloved out of the simple sharing of a common habitat due to the competitive edge of a coordinated mode of food production, food distribution, and food consumption over uncoordinated modes. The particular balance of the two conflicting principles of reciprocation and exploitation/deprivation depended on how one certain community would choose to selectively apply one principle for one relationship instead of the other.

The stable, predictable distribution of power and obligation among the in-group members would prefer reciprocation, and food produced would be offered in both directions, whereas the unstable, unpredictable relationship with an out-group could go either way; either reciprocal assuming on-going exchange of food, or non-reciprocal, the stronger getting away with exploitation while the weaker having to accept deprivation without reciprocation.

Offering up goods to the anthropomorphised greater powers of nature (or an abstraction of the deceased, powerful parents and ancestors) must have been based on the principle of reciprocation. By offering food to the "god(s)" in thanks for the beneficial foraging, the "god(s)" would reciprocate by allowing further successful foraging. Such ritually reciprocal relationship must have encouraged the reserving of the following as offerings to the "god(s)";

1) the best of captured wild animals
2) the best of foraged food plants

Out of the offspring of thus selected wild animals were born domesticated livestock with progressively positive traits, and vegetables and crop were similarly improved by harvesting the vegetables and crops that were foraged from what grew out of a prior season's offering into the ground. This is a possible model of the origin of domesticated animals and plants when the three major beginnings (neolithic technology, farming and herding, and the beginning of civilsation) roughly coincided around 12,000 yrs ago.

After 12,000 of cultural evolution, we are at a time when the authority of old religions founded several thousand yrs ago has much eroded with the progress of scientific ideologies, accessible information, and the spread of relativism. Nevertheless the old modes of goods production are still sun-based in the majority, and there has been no fundamental change in the manner in which we produce food while other goods production such as clothing, housing, and energy may have experienced great technological progress.

Could the non-symmetric development of goods production explain the awkward coexistence of scientific ideologies and conventional religion ?
Or does the persistence of the old mode of food-production mean conventional religions are far from over ?
Is a unifying philosophical understanding emerging out of the mosaic of modern science and conventional religion ?
Is modern science taking over what used to be governed by conventional religion although it does not have a unifying world view ?
Will a still new mode of thinking emerge that denies and surpasses both modern science and conventional religion ?
Or do you think the age of regious thinking is well over, and that we will live in a religion-free state for quite some time to come ?

edit: I apologise for the not-so-tidy wording and too many questions; also some references should have been provided from which I borrowed ideas. I was reading the "What is your religion ?" thread and remembered an old question; but I removed the Christian bias.

Last edited:
and there has been no fundamental change in the manner in which we produce food while other goods production such as clothing, housing, and energy may have experienced great technological progress.
There were some changes. Maybe we can`t call them fundamental, but nontheless... Many actions what were done earlier manually today are completed with various machinery or completely without human involvement. We certainly messed up with genetics to have more beefy with high milk-yielding capacity cattle. Those numerous chickens in poultry plants, vegetables, fruits what do not rotten and so on

Could the non-symmetric development of goods production explain the awkward coexistence of scientific ideologies and conventional religion ?
Maybe, it`s not the conventional farming, but one thing we can`t change - we MUST eat, food is the sourse of our energy, building materials. And we can`t make much of artificial food, our body seems to reject it or even mutate. Our mind can jump to and explore the unthinkable, but our body still limited reminding us of our earthly existence and mortality

Or does the persistence of the old mode of food-production mean
conventional religions are far from over ?
perhaps, as long as we need a superior being to explain things we can`t explain ourselves there always will be place for conventional religion

Is a unifying philosophical understanding emerging out of the mosaic of
modern science and conventional religion ?
could you, plz, clarify the question?

Is modern science taking over what used to be governed by conventional religion although it does not have a unifying world view ?
it doesn`t have such view, even trying to establish multi-disciplinary ties. Besides even social and human studies can`t substitite one function of religion - to console the heart. (though, not sure how successful is religion in this field)

Will a still new mode of thinking emerge that denies and surpasses both modern science and conventional religion ?
Someone said: Knowledge is that area of ignorance which we arrange and classify. The longer is the radius of our knowledge - the greater is perimetry which separates the known area from the unknown. Whatever mode of thinking suits the time it will emerge sooner or later (even if it`s a "new-long-forgotten-staff")

Or do you think the age of regious thinking is well over, and that we will live in a religion-free state for quite some time to come ?
Religion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-ljn)
n.
1. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator
and governor of the universe.
2. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
3. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
4. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
5. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.
p. 4, 5 can suit science as well? so, in a way, it is a religion with all its axioms and ideal concepts.
Who said that if God wouldn`t exist He should be created? :D

Last edited:
Well Lexico, it's a packed bunch of questions, and I'd like to take a look at all of them. Now, I do have one pet-hypothesis I'm developing, but I don't it's formulated enough to expound on at this point. Maybe I can guesstimate that science will eventually edge out into the lead, as the present religions degress, and a newer, more unified religion comes into existence. (one which does not plead to any unknowable outsider, so to speak, but revels in the existence of what is known to be in the universe.)

It has been said that strangly enough, the human psyche seems to be such as to need a form of reverence towards an object for its well being. (As you can guess, some have used that understanding (only theory) to say it was put there. . . ha, ha, ha)

Now, maybe Void was thinking about Scientism in the above post. I know of some scientists and religious scientists who have spent some time trying to point out that science, in and of itself, is not equivelant to 'Scientism' and that there are some in the sciences who are pushing that ideology. I strongly feel opposed to Scientism, as far as I have seen it defined, but am very much for scientific method--the larger system, yet it seems. (I'd have to go do some digging for source material on the above, however--I'll honestly admit)

QUOTEk: Who said that if "God" (quotation marks mine) wouldn't exist "He" (mine again) should be created? A good question, Void, I'd think the answer would be, well, maybe humanity? A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe also agrees with that proposition--obviously humankind created the 'doer/maker god' because that was what it did.

Mars Man said:
QUOTEk: Who said that if "God" (quotation marks mine) wouldn't exist "He" (mine again) should be created? A good question, Void, I'd think the answer would be, well, maybe humanity? A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe also agrees with that proposition--obviously humankind created the 'doer/maker god' because that was what it did.

i remembered - it was Voltaire :)

as for Scientism, i didn`t even know this word :D only was talking about that science taken to extremes also can fall under definition of religion

Void said:
i remembered - it was Voltaire :)

as for Scientism, i didn`t even know this word :D only was talking about that science taken to extremes also can fall under definition of religion

Yes, this is a word which has come up which defines certain elements in the field of science who tend to put 'science' itself, in some type of religious setting. Professor John Haught of Georgetown University gave me a copy of his book which deals with science and religious dialog; I'll pull it out and point out some aspects of this 'Scientism' thing.

I'm a strong believer (which is not really a good word to use here, but just for lack of a better one at the moment) in scientific method--reasoning, if you will. I'll get back with this later. Sorry for the delay. :sorry:

This thread has been viewed 279 times.

Back