23andMe Share your 23andMe Ancestry Composition

JajarBingan, that makes sense only if I am curious about more recent connections with newer relatives, i guess a higher number of relatives with all 4 grandparents in the same country is telling you a story closer to present time, perhaps one stretching back to the last 200 years. My main curiosity lays between 2800 years ago (TMRCA of my last known subclade) and maybe 300-400 years ago. My main focus is on the deeper roots, I have a pretty decent image regarding the relatives up to great great parents, but from that point backwards is where the things gets blurred and I think the dots I connected earlier might tell an older story, exactly what I am more keen to find.

But i can try such a chart of course:)

1 grandparent:

• United States of America (225)
  • Romania (110)
  • Poland (40)
  • Greece (36)
  • Ukraine (32)
  • Canada (31)
  • Italy (28)
  • Croatia (27)
  • Germany (26)
  • Russia (24)
  • Hungary (22)
  • Slovakia (22)
  • Bulgaria (19)
  • Austria (17)
  • Serbia (15)
  • United Kingdom (14)
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina (11)
  • Ireland (9)
  • Turkey (9)
  • Belarus (7)

4 grandparents:

• Romania (72) 0.0000036659
  • United States of America (66) 0.0000002026
  • Greece (14) 0.0000012999
  • Croatia (8) 0.0000019258
  • Poland (7) 0.0000001843
  • Bulgaria (7) 0.0000009856
  • Serbia (7) 0.0000009969
  • Canada (5) 0.0000001346
  • Italy (4) 0.000000066
  • Slovakia (4) 0.000000736
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina (3) 0.0000008554
  • Ukraine (3) 0.0000000669
  • Austria (2) 0.0000002279721874
  • Germany (2) 0.0000000241575069
  • Turkey (2) 0.0000000250595164
  • Hungary (1) 0.0000002044780697
  • Russia (1) 0.0000000069204152
  • Ireland (0)
  • United Kingdom (0)
  • Belarus (0)

The top5 connections with samples having all 4 grandparents in the same country relative to that country number of inhabitants is:
1.Romania: 0.0000036659
2.Croatia: 0.0000019258
3.Greece: 0.0000012999
4.Serbia: 0.0000009969
5.Bulgaria: 0.0000009856

Thanks for sharing such interesting results, your discovery regarding the unlocking of the beta section was simply spot on, and it just opened new research directions for me.
I am highly appreciative regarding your will and commitment to share new findings...much appreciated sir.

For the relatives, I suggest filtering to 4 grandparents.
Here's a personal example:
Russia - 60 relatives; with 4 grandparents - 0
Germany - 28; with 4gp - 0

So for me the distribution of relatives (without the New World) overall looks like this:

Poland (74)
Ukraine (66)
Russia (60)
Romania (43)
Germany (28)
Hungary (21)
Austria (20)
Italy (18)
Slovakia (16)
United Kingdom (15)
Lithuania (13)
Greece (11)
Belarus (10)
Croatia (9)
Czechia (7)
Moldova (7)
Serbia (7)
France (6)

But when that's filtered down to 4 grandparents, it suddenly makes more sense:

Romania (26)
Poland (15)
Ukraine (12)
Moldova (5)
Hungary (4)
Serbia (4)
Greece (4)
Belarus (3)
United Kingdom (3)
Croatia (2)
Slovakia (2)
Austria (2)
Italy (2)
France (2)
Lithuania (1)
Czechia (0)
Germany (0)
Russia (0)

Last edited:
You are from Romania or have Romanians ancestors?
Domogled is an area in Cerna Mountains in Caras-Severin County.

domogled is one of the nicknames i use since more than 20 years ago, I know pretty well the area, I was born in its vicinity, Domogled is a mountain peak in the Mehedinti mountains afaik, right above Baile Herculane Cerna mountains I believe are the ones on the western/other side of Baile Herculane and they are part of the Caras Severin County while Domogled and Mehedinti mountains belong to the Mehedinti county. Domogled Cerna national park is an area stretching in these two counties.
I was born in Romania and I have ancestors there, i think I already mentioned in my first post here not many pages ago precisely in this thread :)

Last edited:
domogled is one of the nicknames i use since more than 20 years ago, I know pretty well the area, I was born in its vicinity, Domogled is a mountain peak in the Mehedinti mountains afaik, right above Baile Herculane Cerna mountains I believe are the ones on the western/other side of Baile Herculane and they are part of the Caras Severin County while Domogled and Mehedinti mountains belong to the Mehedinti county. Domogled Cerna national park is an area stretching in these two counties.
I was born in Romania and I have ancestors there, i think I already mentioned in my first post here not many pages ago precisely in this thread :)
Bine ai venit printre noi! :) Eu provin putin mai din Est, de pe langa Olt.
I think you have a very good idea to calculate the percentage of relatives from, the total number of inhabitants in each country, and also JajarBingan with all 4 grandparents in the same country.

Domogled's possible historical connections:

-the entire Olt valley,rich in salt deposits and shepherd activity all along,starting with the mountains from Mures,ending with the lower area towards the Danube,like Slatina
Around Mures,the Romanians are attested since the Mongol invasion, cca. middle of the 13th c,another record from that area,Simon de Keza,mentions the Vlachs from where the Szeklers have learned the letters.

That portion of Eastern Carpathians was still heavily used by the transhumant shepherds until recently.

Further south is the extremely important country called Tara Oltului, followed by the Wallachian state core Valcea-Arges,Litovoi-Barbat's possessions.

Brasov and Sibiu,heavy shepherd background, most of the land was owned by Wallachia.
Alba,Tara Motilor,like the whole mountain parts from the Western Transylvania also has lots of Paleo-Balkanic autosomes.

Bine ai venit printre noi! :) Eu provin putin mai din Est, de pe langa Olt.
I think you have a very good idea to calculate the percentage of relatives from, the total number of inhabitants in each country, and also JajarBingan with all 4 grandparents in the same country.

Mulţumesc frumos pentru urare domnule,
my mother is from Timis county from a village named Hodoni (hungarian original name Hodony, odon~ very old/batrin), my father is from Turnu Severin, I used to live in Timis and Caras Severin counties (Lugoj &Timisoara and Moldova Veche & Resita)
On my fathers side I can trace back to my great grandparent using family documents, the local archives burned during an allied air raid back in WW2.
As the new town of Turnu Severin had been rebuilt starting around 1850 a sheer number of settlers came from all around, lured by the prospect of a new town exceptionally placed at the very western most point of Walachia a meeting point of it with Banat/Austrian hungarian empire, Serbia and Bulgaria/ottoman empire, and Danube, Timok and Iron Gates Danube gorges dividing and gathering people, waters and mountains. So they came south italians, austrians( they were the big promoters of the newly re/born town with their Danube navigation company), hungarians, germans both sachsen and schwaben from Banat, sephardic jews, serbians, croats, greeks and even some french. It used to be the most cosmopolitan town of the romanian principalities not united yet, back in the era under the russian protectorate of General Pavel Kiseleff. My grandparents in Turnu Severin had italian neighbors till they passed away one by one in the 80's and 90's the last grandchildren of the ones who came in the mid XIX century as stone workers/masons, Mingarelli, Masutti and Marchesini families were living exactly on the very same area, few houses away. Some of you might have heard of an exceptional theater actress known as Ileana Stana Ionescu, her name sounds 100% romanian but she was quite an active part of the comunity of the italians in Romania, she was raised in Turnu Severin having an italian grandfather and an Austrian grandmother...She doesn't know why his grandfather came from Mantova Italy to Turnu Severin, but my great grandfather was a good friend of him. In Mantova there is a rolling stock factory, in Turnu Severin they were converting train cars repairing workshops into a rolling stock factory. Same as ship repairing workshops turned into one of the oldest shipyards in Romania if not the oldest, thanks to the Austrians Danube Navigation company.

The town was a melting pot and my surname is pretty common in Serbia and Croatia. My connection with Bor District in Serbia is supporting my grandfathers tales that his grand mother was from the other side of the Danube only 2 kms cross with a boat.
On my mom's side I know they were locals since at least 5 generations there but I know about some relatives in Cluj county, a cousin of my mother is from there.
I tend to believe the romanian connections in Cluj and the other transylvanian counties comes from my mother side as for the ones in the Balkans in the ex yugoslav space I think my father's side is the one responsible for.

The Sibenik Knin area in Croatia is the hometown of one of the best basketball player Europe gave, I share his surname and coincidence or not, all my 27 connections from Croatia are from exactly the same county...it is quite impressive tbh and discovering that few days ago it simply amazed me.

Last edited:
Domogled's possible historical connections:

-the entire Olt valley,rich in salt deposits and shepherd activity all along,starting with the mountains from Mures,ending with the lower area towards the Danube,like Slatina
Around Mures,the Romanians are attested since the Mongol invasion, cca. middle of the 13th c,another record from that area,Simon de Keza,mentions the Vlachs from where the Szeklers have learned the letters.

That portion of Eastern Carpathians was still heavily used by the transhumant shepherds until recently.

Further south is the extremely important country called Tara Oltului, followed by the Wallachian state core Valcea-Arges,Litovoi-Barbat's possessions.

Brasov and Sibiu,heavy shepherd background, most of the land was owned by Wallachia.
Alba,Tara Motilor,like the whole mountain parts from the Western Transylvania also has lots of Paleo-Balkanic autosomes.

Thank you for sharing, al in all a very interesting material to read no doubt about that , I will look closer about those info you gave me and hopefully I will find some interesting connections. I hope 23andme will refine the results on the maps and will offer the numbers fort each and every region or county so I can have a more refined result and perhaps to understand to a better extent certain aspects.
Best regards dreptule valah ;)

Last edited:
The counties that you have mentioned are very high in Proto-Romanian autosomes,these can also be found at significant levels only in the Albanian populations, it seems,the compatibility with Serbia is much smaller.

Plus,these counties are connected in a single set of genes,that clearly looks Proto-Wallachian,the other two ,Bukovinian-Maramures-Cris and Northern Transylvanian-Moldavian,all of them,I repeat,mainly connected with the Albanian samples.

Even if in the town may have lived other populations, as usual,I really don't know why you don't say anything about Romanians.

In many Romanian towns,the Greek,Balkanic, German,Jewish,etc.,populations had barely survived Communism,proportionally, because much more peasants from the countryside were moved here.

When 23andme says Greek-Balkan, does it mean there is a Greek component, a Balkan one different from Greek or a single one called Greek-Balkan?
What is Balkan, knowing that there is Slavs, Albanian, Bulgarian with different origins
Can any one explain this to me, since I am confused about these definitions

This new name is in my opinion a little arbitrary and not particularly effective, but I think it identifies a single component - we could call it differently "paleobalkan" - whose maximum signal is found in the Albanian / Kosovar territories, in the northern greek ones, and in the immediate adjoining areas, linguistically Slavic, but where the preslavic substrate remained in fact intact.
I understand that whoever is from that region, beyond ethnic or linguistic affiliation, can expect values of over 90% of that component

The counties that you have mentioned are very high in Proto-Romanian autosomes,these can also be found at significant levels only in the Albanian populations, it seems,the compatibility with Serbia is much smaller.

Plus,these counties are connected in a single set of genes,that clearly looks Proto-Wallachian,the other two ,Bukovinian-Maramures-Cris and Northern Transylvanian-Moldavian,all of them,I repeat,mainly connected with the Albanian samples.

Got any sources for these autosomal connections?

Got any sources for these autosomal connections?

Florin Stanciu,"Analiza markerilor STR autozomali"(Teza de doctorat).

The maps with the Proto-Romanian sets of genes I have posted on the Vlach thread.

However, they didn't missed the chance to say that" the Y-DNA chromosome analysis has proved the highest compatibility with Serbia and Macedonia, then,Bosnia and Croatia, proving the Slavic influence of the conquestors in the Proto-Romanian genetic pool."

Basically, the Old Stalinist school,that doesn't prove why the Proto-Romanians weren't Slavicized,like the Balkanic ancestors of the South-Slavs.

Florin Stanciu,"Analiza markerilor STR autozomali".

This boy?

Presa Locală: Suntem slavi sau latini? Cu cine ne înrudim?
Florin Stanciu: Din punct de vedere genetic suntem un amestec de influențe, din care, în zilele noastre cea slavă este dominantă. Acest lucru a fost dovedit studiind mai multe categorii de markeri genetici și folosind cele mai mari eșantioane populaționale pe care s-au făcut vreodată astfel de analize, în România.

https://www.presalocala.com/2016/11...-influente-din-care-cea-slava-este-dominanta/

Listen,Mickey Mouse,be careful with your form of addressation,I've googled for him,he is from Transylvania, judging by the speech,that's why the Proto-Romanian genes are called "Latin".

Even if in the town may have lived other populations, as usual,I really don't know why you don't say anything about Romanians.

In many Romanian towns,the Greek,Balkanic, German,Jewish,etc.,populations had barely survived Communism,proportionally, because much more peasants from the countryside were moved here.

Thanks for bringing it up in the front.. ;)
I have zero connections with Albania, zero with Montenegro and zero with FYROM
Moreover, the particular E-V13 clade I am A+ is not at all an albanian, bulgarian or serbian one... but apparently S19928* has on yfull only two italian results one from Bergamo and another one from Cagliari.
As the Yseq test came negative at G for the branch below S19928, the BY4518/BY4507 my final result is S19928*...again not an albanian, serbian or bulgarian clade of CTS 9320.
The romanians start to move in newly built town of Turnu Severin from the ex capital of The Mehedinti county - Cerneti around 1915, till then roughly 80% of the population (according to a census from around 1910) was anything else but Romanian from the villages around.
Unfortunately the town had barriers at its entrances and the jandarms were forcing the peasants coming to sell their products in the market to take of their "opinci and itari" At that very moment my ancestors on my fathers side were already at the third generation, I can share with you a picture from the railway station at the reception of a newly delivered Skoda locomotive. My great grandfather was a driver/ engineer on a steam locomotive around the period of the Balkanic wars.
I can tell you many things about the Romanians who came into the city after they decided to move from Cerneti, yet I'm afraid it is not relevant for the discussion as I am not searching for the history of the town from 1915 onward.
The forced industrialization during commie times is another chapter in town's history I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Listen,Mickey Mouse,be careful with your form of addressation,I've googled for him,he is from Transylvania, judging by the speech,that's why the Proto-Romanian genes are called "Latin".

Shepherd boy, I'm not trying to be rude, but you can't just outright lie and quote him as evidence. The guy clearly says the opposite from you.
Here's a translation for the non-Romanian speakers.

I said," from the study",he has many papers.

This is the last time when I'm asking you to behave nice.

I said," from the study",he has many papers.

This is the last time when I'm asking you to behave nice.

Well, here's Wallachia: https://hrcak.srce.hr/file/63794

"We analyzed 1910 unrelated individuals from 14 of 15counties in Wallachia region as follows: 259 samples fromArgeş, 148 from Brăila, 10 from Buzău, 11 from Călăraşi, 215from Dâmboviţa, 288 from Dolj, 114 from Giurgiu, 154 fromGorj, 117 from Ialomiţa, 113 from Ilfov, 122 from Mehedinţi,20 from Olt, 331 from Prahova, and 8 from Teleorman. Theregion of the Romanian capital city, Bucharest, was excluded from the study.

Results With the exception of vWA locus (P=0.001), noother significant deviations from Hardy-Weinberg expectations were found. Single locus comparisons with dataon geographically close populations showed significantdifferences between the population of Wallachia and thepopulation of Bucharest area, Greece, Turkey, Italy, Hungary, Belarus, and Poland, but no differences were found fromthe population from Croatia and Serbia.Conclusion According to 15 analyzed STR loci, the population of Wallachia region was found to be genetically moresimilar to Slavic populations of Croatia and Serbia than toother surrounding populations."

How have you seen my results? They are on page 14, one month the thread is stopped, I publish my results and they are buried in 10 minutes. The percentage that I have taken from Iberia the strongest color on the maps means the possible origin, since the colors on the maps appear stronger in the center and decrease in tone as they move away from the epicenter. The removal of a somewhat higher percentage of Western and Central Europe than in Iberia itself may be of a relatively modern origin or may be older. And 10% of Southeastern Europe, which includes so many countries, what historical explanation can it have in relation to Spain? As much as 4% of North Africa can be Carthaginians or it would be in a more modern period. What do you think?

It looks like 23andMe "re-somethinged" their Ancestry Composition reports

It looks like the Ancestry Composition reports has changed in its breakdown. Being half Sicilian and half southern Italian I can understand the Greek influence. Middle Eastern is gone and looks like it was rolled into Western Asian & North African. It looks like several categories were rolled into others.

Is this change a result of better testing and analysis, and grouping? More people testing?

This was my original Ancestry Composition from 2015 (I don't have the graphic on this computer).

European 86.5%
Southern European 81.4%
Italian 70.8%
Balkan 0.2%
Broadly Southern European 10.4%
Northwestern European 1.4%
Broadly Northwestern European 1.4%
Ashkenazi 0.1%
Broadly European 3.6%
Middle Eastern & North African 12.9%
Middle Eastern 10.7%
North African 1.1%
Broadly Middle Eastern & North African 1.2%

Here is the new one.

pc29e7hsl109.png

Oops... I should have checked this thread, if this one should be moved, I'm cool with that. https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/36919-Any-thoughts-on-Admixture-distributions-re-the-new-update

How have you seen my results? They are on page 14, one month the thread is stopped, I publish my results and they are buried in 10 minutes. The percentage that I have taken from Iberia the strongest color on the maps means the possible origin, since the colors on the maps appear stronger in the center and decrease in tone as they move away from the epicenter. The removal of a somewhat higher percentage of Western and Central Europe than in Iberia itself may be of a relatively modern origin or may be older. And 10% of Southeastern Europe, which includes so many countries, what historical explanation can it have in relation to Spain? As much as 4% of North Africa can be Carthaginians or it would be in a more modern period. What do you think?
It seems you have ancestry in common with those living there now.

This thread has been viewed 237296 times.

Back