Anfänger

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Iranian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-Z2103
mtDNA haplogroup
U7a4
[h=1]Ancient DNA from Mesopotamia suggests distinct Pre-Pottery and Pottery Neolithic migrations into Anatolia[/h]
[h=2]Connecting genes and history[/h]Stories about the peopling—and people—of Southern Europe and West Asia have been passed down for thousands of years, and these stories have contributed to our historical understanding of populations. Genomic data provide the opportunity to truly understand these patterns independently from written history. In a trio of papers, Lazaridis et al. examined more than 700 ancient genomes from across this region, the Southern Arc, spanning 11,000 years, from the earliest farming cultures to post-Medieval times (see the Perspective by Arbuckle and Schwandt). On the basis of these results, the authors suggest that earlier reliance on modern phenotypes and ancient writings and artistic depictions provided an inaccurate picture of early Indo-Europeans, and they provide a revised history of the complex migrations and population integrations that shaped these cultures. —SNV
[h=2]Abstract[/h]We present the first ancient DNA data from the Pre-Pottery Neolithic of Mesopotamia (Southeastern Turkey and Northern Iraq), Cyprus, and the Northwestern Zagros, along with the first data from Neolithic Armenia. We show that these and neighboring populations were formed through admixture of pre-Neolithic sources related to Anatolian, Caucasus, and Levantine hunter-gatherers, forming a Neolithic continuum of ancestry mirroring the geography of West Asia. By analyzing Pre-Pottery and Pottery Neolithic populations of Anatolia, we show that the former were derived from admixture between Mesopotamian-related and local Epipaleolithic-related sources, but the latter experienced additional Levantine-related gene flow, thus documenting at least two pulses of migration from the Fertile Crescent heartland to the early farmers of Anatolia.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abq0762

Thank you very much, Anfanger.

Finally! Mesopotamia!

My God, Lazaridis has been really quiet for a long time for a very good reason; he's been really busy!

It's an embarrassment of riches to use an old saying; I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, but I will read it carefully.

Anyone can see Y-DNA results? Mesopotamia is more than welcome.

Ancient DNA from Mesopotamia suggests distinct Pre-Pottery and Pottery Neolithic migrations into Anatolia

Connecting genes and history

Stories about the peopling—and people—of Southern Europe and West Asia have been passed down for thousands of years, and these stories have contributed to our historical understanding of populations. Genomic data provide the opportunity to truly understand these patterns independently from written history. In a trio of papers, Lazaridis et al. examined more than 700 ancient genomes from across this region, the Southern Arc, spanning 11,000 years, from the earliest farming cultures to post-Medieval times (see the Perspective by Arbuckle and Schwandt). On the basis of these results, the authors suggest that earlier reliance on modern phenotypes and ancient writings and artistic depictions provided an inaccurate picture of early Indo-Europeans, and they provide a revised history of the complex migrations and population integrations that shaped these cultures. —SNV
Abstract

We present the first ancient DNA data from the Pre-Pottery Neolithic of Mesopotamia (Southeastern Turkey and Northern Iraq), Cyprus, and the Northwestern Zagros, along with the first data from Neolithic Armenia. We show that these and neighboring populations were formed through admixture of pre-Neolithic sources related to Anatolian, Caucasus, and Levantine hunter-gatherers, forming a Neolithic continuum of ancestry mirroring the geography of West Asia. By analyzing Pre-Pottery and Pottery Neolithic populations of Anatolia, we show that the former were derived from admixture between Mesopotamian-related and local Epipaleolithic-related sources, but the latter experienced additional Levantine-related gene flow, thus documenting at least two pulses of migration from the Fertile Crescent heartland to the early farmers of Anatolia.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abq0762

Wow, finally Mesopotamia. Thanks for the great paper.

Thank you very much, Anfanger.

Finally! Mesopotamia!

My God, Lazaridis has been really quiet for a long time for a very good reason; he's been really busy!

It's an embarrassment of riches to use an old saying; I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, but I will read it carefully.

I second that.

You're welcome guys!

Unfortunately, as I expected, there is no DNA from Sumerian sites but from further north in Upper Mesopotamia and the samples from the southern Caucasus are all already mixed with Anatolian_Neolithic DNA. I hoped that there were samples from 6500-6000BC but not in the southern arc papers.

Here is the PCA:

View attachment 13523

Distance to:
IRQ_Nemrik9_PPN_I6445
1.14161134IQ_Babylon
1.18688463IQ_Anbar
1.20103194Kurdish_Jew
1.23508165IQ_Maysan
1.24857567IQ_Wasit
1.26972512IQ_Arab_Ninevah
1.29633377IQ_Mandean
1.32909358IQ_Basra