african admixture in Europeans

jgviv

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
J1P58
mtDNA haplogroup
H1
Good afternoon,
I uploaded my 23andme ancestry results in its more recent version and it appears a 0'5% of subsaharian african (while in the old version appeared just 0'3). Im surprised because this african admixture does not appear in my FTDNA results or My heritage. The thing is my mother recently took the test and she appears to have 1,4 % of subsaharian admixture. As far as i know all my ancestors(for centuries) are iberian.
Being that small percentage, could be just noice or actually mean something?
Thanks in advance for your answers :)

Good afternoon,
I uploaded my 23andme ancestry results in its more recent version and it appears a 0'5% of subsaharian african (while in the old version appeared just 0'3). Im surprised because this african admixture does not appear in my FTDNA results or My heritage. The thing is my mother recently took the test and she appears to have 1,4 % of subsaharian admixture. As far as i know all my ancestors(for centuries) are iberian.
Being that small percentage, could be just noice or actually mean something?
Thanks in advance for your answers :)

It exists. 23andme is just the best at recognizing it.

I just received my 23andMe results. It showed (rounded off) 76% French & German, 5% British & Irish, 5% Scandinavian, 2% Eastern European, .3% Italian, and 7.5 Broadly Northwestern, 1% Broadly Southern, and 2.3 Broadly European.
These were much more widespread than I would have supposed, seeing that my family tree consists of German and Austrian farmers living in remote villages (with church records) since the 1600's. The Industrial Revolution got them off the farms, but just to the nearest city.
Finding out my Haplogroup was I-P109 explained how the ancestry could be accurate, since it was in all these regions.
Now the interesting part: It told me that I am .1% Sub-Saharan African, specifically Broadly NorthernEastern African.
Yes, I realize the misconceptions and ignorance people have about their ancestries but I cannot imagine this being possible. The Horn of Africa is not, I don't believe, an area much known for emigration.
BTW, this not racist in any way; it is about trying to make sense of an unlikely situation. Help me, Angela.

pnas-1306223110fig02.jpg

Fig. 2.
Haplotype-based estimates of genetic sharing between Europe and Africa show a significant latitudinal gradient where the highest sharing is in the Iberian Peninsula.

When it comes to Iberia, the source of African ancestry is likely to be a product of migration from North Africa to Europe in historical times. A migration event from North Africa to Europe would have occurred at least 6–10 generations ago (∼240–300 ya) in Spain. A North African individual normally has a substantial sub-Saharan African component in his genome (19%), while around 4% of their genomes of Southwestern European populations are assigned to a North African ancestral cluster (Botigué et al. 2013).

A gradient of shared IBD segments is observed from southern to northern Europe (based on WEA; Fig. 2 and SI Appendix, Table S3). This sharing is highest in the Iberian Peninsula for both North Africa and Sub-Saharan African IBD segments. Interestingly, the Basques are an exception to this pattern because they show similar levels of sharing to other European populations, but inhabit the Iberian Peninsula. Additionally, IBD sharing between North Africa and Europe is nearly an order of magnitude higher than that between Sub-Saharan Africa and Europe, of which a total of 30% of its IBD segments are also shared between North Africa and Europe. Interestingly, these segments represent only 2% of the bulk of IBD segments shared between North Africa and Europe, a proportion similar to that found in previous studies based only on Sub-Saharan populations (9). Considering that only 2% of the segments shared between North Africa and Europe have a Sub-Saharan origin, it is not likely that the gradients observed in Fig. 2B is driven primarily by theSub-Saharan segments. Finally, high correlation (0.83) exists among the values of WEA between Sub-Saharan Africa and Europe, and North Africa and Europe. Overall, these results support the hypothesis that Sub-Saharan gene flow detected in Europe entered with North African gene flow. We regressed the North African–European IBD metric (WEA) on the sine of latitude to evaluate the strength of this gradient and find a significant relationship across southern-to-northern Europe, P = 7.4 × 10−8 (Fig. 2D).

At k = 4, the ancestry assignment differentiated between non-Jewish European populations (from now on referred to as “European”), European Jews, Sub-Saharan Africans, and a group formed by Near Eastern and North African populations. At k = 5,6 components mainly assigned to North African populations and Tunisian Berbers, respectively, clearly appear. European populations sharing this North African ancestral component are almost exclusively in southern Europe (Fig. 1 and SI Appendix, Fig. S3). Southern European populations have a high proportion (5–35%) of joint Near Eastern | North African ancestry assigned at k = 4. However, identification of distinct Near Eastern and North African ancestries in k ≥ 5 differentiates southeastern from southwestern Europe. Southwestern European populations average between 4% and 20% of their genomes assigned to a North African ancestral cluster (SI Appendix, Fig. S3), whereas this value does not exceed 2% in southeastern European populations. Contrary to past observations, Sub-Saharan ancestry is detected at <1% in Europe, with the exception of the Canary Islands. In summary, when North African populations are included as a source, allele frequency-based clustering indicates better assignment to North African than to Sub-Saharan ancestry, and estimates of African ancestry in European populations increase relative to previous studies. European ancestry is also detected in North African populations. At k = 6 it ranges between 4% and 16% in the rest of North Africa, with notable intrapopulation variation (35) and is absent in most Maghrebi (western North African) individuals from Tunisia and Western Sahara.

Last edited:
I just received my 23andMe results. It showed (rounded off) 76% French & German, 5% British & Irish, 5% Scandinavian, 2% Eastern European, .3% Italian, and 7.5 Broadly Northwestern, 1% Broadly Southern, and 2.3 Broadly European.
These were much more widespread than I would have supposed, seeing that my family tree consists of German and Austrian farmers living in remote villages (with church records) since the 1600's. The Industrial Revolution got them off the farms, but just to the nearest city.
Finding out my Haplogroup was I-P109 explained how the ancestry could be accurate, since it was in all these regions.
Now the interesting part: It told me that I am .1% Sub-Saharan African, specifically Broadly NorthernEastern African.
Yes, I realize the misconceptions and ignorance people have about their ancestries but I cannot imagine this being possible. The Horn of Africa is not, I don't believe, an area much known for emigration.
BTW, this not racist in any way; it is about trying to make sense of an unlikely situation. Help me, Angela.

I'm pretty sure that the French & German and the British & Irish and Broadly Northwestern are about shared ancestry with Celtic and Germanic people. I have the same Northwestern ancestry as a Swiss native with some German ancestry. Your .1% Sub-Saharan African is weird especially because Northeastern African should not cluster with Sub-Saharian ancestry. And i dont believe to that noise thing, because i personally didn't have any noise in my ancestry from 23andme, so why would a German have SSA ancestry and not a Swiss if it would detect noise.

View attachment 10647

View attachment 10648

I have also obtained two results from sub-Saharan Africa, they call it traces or noise, but they are clearly not European. There may have been a certain period where a certain number of black people entered the Iberian peninsula where ivory, amber and shell of ostrich eggs were found. Perhaps some kind of trade in Sub-Saharan Africa with the Iberian Peninsula that would have favored the entry and stay of a determined number of black men and women in the Iberian Peninsula and that perhaps was interrupted by other events that happened in the Iberian Peninsula. I have some contacts of North Americans on facebook of clear European or Northern European center descent with some Iberian percentage that have also obtained results in sub-Saharan Africa.

African admixture in Europeans.

Unknown history of Portugal: the mulattoes of Sado.

Part of Portugal's history is still unknown to many of us. In century XVI the valley of the Sado was populated with slaves.

For centuries Lezíria and Ribeira do Sado were an uninhabited territory, with a reputation for unhealthiness, surrounded by heaths.

In the century XVI, many Portuguese boarded the ships, which further aggravated the existing demographic deficit. That was the reason why, at that time, the owners of the fertile lands bathed by the Sado would have resolved to populate them with negroes, bought in the slave markets. The mulattoes of the Sado of our day are therefore descendants of these former black slaves.

Whoever now walks along the Ribeira do Sado, you will no longer see truly black people before your eyes.

The miscegenation has already consummated itself completely. But the physiognomic features observable in many of the region's inhabitants, as well as the darker color of their skin, are immediately evident, and they immediately refer us to Africa south of the Sahara.

The story described above applies to Portugal. If the mulattoes of the Sado migrated, in part, to Spain, I do not know and nobody will knows, I believe.

But it is a fact that during the period of the great navigations and during the existence of the great Portuguese and Spanish colonial empires in the Americas, many settlers of the metropolis maintained close contacts with natives and Africans, and often many of these mestizo descendants returned to Europe with their parents or grandparents.

^^

http://www.feminismoandaluz.com/2018/03/21/sabias-20-la-poblacion-cadiz-negra/

In some population of Andalusia there are also descendants of the era of slavery, since the ports of Seville, Cádiz and Barcelona were the ports from where slavery was managed as far as Spain is concerned.
In many neighborhoods these descendants of black slaves have been mixed with the gypsy people with what this implies in terms of isolation.

I think the results obtained are from an older Iberia, the end of the Neolithic or Chalcolithic.

Minute 23:59 In this video of the regional television in Andalusia the subject is discussed. In the minute that I quote, a woman descended from a "dark" father, as they called the descendants of slaves in those towns, holds her two blond grandchildren with blue eyes. A man also speaks and says that in the neighborhood the only black family is his, that the rest is mixed with gypsies. These cases are relatively modern and there is oral tradition and footprint visible in the present in question of appearance, so it can not be related to the results of preterite eras where only the science of genetics is beginning to help to write or increase knowledge historical periods very distant.

The woman speaks as her mother's family opposed to marrying a "dark"
The man says that his mother had his hair shaved and even many caciques tried to abuse her. Lives very difficult and with much rejection, stigmatized lived.

Thank you Carlos.

Beautiful production of the Andalusian television showing part of the hidden history of the black slaves who were taken to the region.

In fact, to have the appearance of a Negro in a region populated mostly by whites should, of course, make them a stigmatized population.

I send you a video produced by the Portuguese television that deals with the typical genetic stamp of the Portuguese, and that only the Portuguese have.

From the minute 2:50, the geneticist speaks of the genetic sequences brought by various peoples to Iberia and, especially, to the Portuguese people, citing the Berbers 6,000 years before Christ, then the Celts, Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans, Germans, again the Berbers and, finally, the slave trade, which brought genetic sequences from sub-Saharan Africa to Portugal. She ends by saying that, in addition to everything else, there are typical sequences of Sephardic Jews in Portugal.

Greetings and a big hug.

Duarte.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dACxYqQJIDU&feature=share

^^
I have seen the video, very interesting, I did not know that the Portuguese had those unique genetic characteristics.

From the minute 2:50, the geneticist speaks of the genetic sequences brought by various peoples to Iberia and, especially, to the Portuguese people, citing the Berbers 6,000 years before Christ, then the Celts, Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans, Germans, again the Berbers and, finally, the slave trade, which brought genetic sequences from sub-Saharan Africa to Portugal. She ends by saying that, in addition to everything else, there are typical sequences of Sephardic Jews in Portugal.

Because of that Portuguese genetics is such a fascinating (but also hard) topic to investigate! There are so many layers and possibilities when discussing genetic origins in Portugal. Then you add the also highly multiethnic African and Native American (world aparts as far as genetic structures go) and add to Portuguese and you form the even more impossibly complex genetic origins of the "classical" old-stock Brazilian population. And they still had to add Italian, German, Spanish, Arab, Japanese, Polish, Dutch ancestry. What a messy but great challenge for people interested in population genetics, but unfortunately still very much underestimated.

Do appear that “cracked” website has lost something important now my iPhone blocked because there is certification error and has “not secure website” label!

I finally realized that the DNA tests show where people with a shared ancestor live, not those that are "direct" ancestors. The connection could go back thousands of years. Thanks to those that responded; interesting comments.

[FONT=&quot]23andMe found; "West-African" 0,1%.
I "made up" a whole story of posible slave trade connection.

But after an update it became "broadly East African" 0,1%... on an another chromosome.

I don't know if these small traces are noise, or just admixture labeled wrong.

[/FONT]

and... just beta-updated to 0,1% Senegambian & Guinean... this make sense actually.
Senegambia was connected to the Dutch West India Company (WIC) due to slavery.

This thread has been viewed 13377 times.

Back