Is anthrogenica.com gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had been wondering if Anthrogenica was down or permanently gone. I haven't been able to access the website for quite some time now.

It may largely depend on the site owner being available and ready to pay. I just hope the person in charge renews and they don't lose the domain. Otherwise they could also start with a new URL hopefully. Its just good to have different sites dealing with the subject, visited by different people and which can share and cross share with other boards anyway. I'm just afraid of a significant part of the community getting lost.

isn't work to now in fact It's a bit worrying

Wasn't anthrogenica really just an extension of the eurogene blog? Because it seemed like everyone just agreed with what Generalismo said, and the moderators cracked down on anyone that opposed him.

It makes me wonder if all of the authors of the papers that he was irate at would be banned, if they would debase themselves to argue with laymen.

i never agreed with Generalismo , never had an issues with the North American owners..............A Tuscan and Myself never agreed with him .................we never agreed with each other either , LOL

I thought the recent thread on the new Anglo Saxon paper was a good read, tbh all forums seem to have a bias,
on another note new registration was shut before it went down so maybe dos attack ?

Unfortunately I don't have time to participate simultaneously in several fora in the internet, we have our "real life". I have seen anthrogenica site off before, I hope they can return, I don't know about this time. Anthrogenica always had a plurality of positions and opinions, I have always been from the Southern PIE party and this "Southern Arc" really infuriated the "Northern Steppe Kurganists", usually people who never had a permanent proper Empire and a modern expansion/conquest with their own ethnic and native language and had a strong emotional connection to the IE expansion in the Bronze Age, just like General or Khan, as a kind of cultural misappropriation of the Southerner CHG/Iran origin. In the first decade of genetic genealogy (2005-2010) we saw DNA-L Rootsweb, you can read some of the archives there. We had DNA-Forum, Russian sites and several other, some with sudden death. Anthrogenica has had/was a good archive of the issues, questions and developments of this scientific field but we know several people wanted to erase the past written errors they made there. Let's wait ! All the best !

I thought the recent thread on the new Anglo Saxon paper was a good read, tbh all forums seem to have a bias,
on another note new registration was shut before it went down so maybe dos attack ?

Fact is the domain wasn't renewed. That's a very bad sign, but it could be just a slip.

Isn't the owner still DMXX? He is an Iranian and also admin of one of their project groups on FTDNA.

It generally is a site where misinformation spreads are being tolerated and at the same time promoted. Contradicting pseudo-scientific statements against certain European ethnic groups, such as "insert SE European group" being supposedly Ottoman Anatolian remnants apparently gets you banned.

Hope the website really is down and stays that way.

Unfortunately I don't have time to participate simultaneously in several fora in the internet, we have our "real life". I have seen anthrogenica site off before, I hope they can return, I don't know about this time. Anthrogenica always had a plurality of positions and opinions, I have always been from the Southern PIE party and this "Southern Arc" really infuriated the "Northern Steppe Kurganists", usually people who never had a permanent proper Empire and a modern expansion/conquest with their own ethnic and native language and had a strong emotional connection to the IE expansion in the Bronze Age, just like General or Khan, as a kind of cultural misappropriation of the Southerner CHG/Iran origin. In the first decade of genetic genealogy (2005-2010) we saw DNA-L Rootsweb, you can read some of the archives there. We had DNA-Forum, Russian sites and several other, some with sudden death. Anthrogenica has had/was a good archive of the issues, questions and developments of this scientific field but we know several people wanted to erase the past written errors they made there. Let's wait ! All the best !

It may just have been attacked and they need time to get it up and running again.

It would seem a little extreme to take down the whole site to cover up all of their mistakes; a good scrubbing would do it. Eurogenes does it all the time.

If the domain was not renewed:
  • that removes the possibility of an attack
  • adds a dimension of the owner being the point of failure for the site going down, if that is true, hope he is alright and just missed a deadline/some emails
  • adds the possibility the domain is being sold and/or moving

Was he able to monetize the website? It may have been an austere decision to not renew. A lot of people are falling on hard times due to the economy. There have been a lot of layoffs, even at my own place of work. Even though I didn't like the website, I hope that is not the case. Because I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Was he able to monetize the website? It may have been an austere decision to not renew. A lot of people are falling on hard times due to the economy. There have been a lot of layoffs, even at my own place of work. Even though I didn't like the website, I hope that is not the case. Because I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I saw no indication of monetization outside of Gold memberships, but doubt those are recurring hence they can only cover so much. Depending how the domain was leased/bought costs can indeed bubble. But I am sure if that was the case crowdfunding would have been easier to achieve rather than an abrupt shutdown.

Hope the guy is healthy and well.

Try accessing it from your phones, the mobile page works.

Isn't the owner still DMXX? He is an Iranian and also admin of one of their project groups on FTDNA.

It generally is a site where misinformation spreads are being tolerated and at the same time promoted. Contradicting pseudo-scientific statements against certain European ethnic groups, such as "insert SE European group" being supposedly Ottoman Anatolian remnants apparently gets you banned.

Hope the website really is down and stays that way.

You derailed several threads yelling that Southern Illyrians were like Northern Italians even though you had no clue. Don't play so innocent here.

Anthrogenica, a den of racists and nordicists ?

DPjI5nk.png

Sure, on Anthrogenica, some people get banned for strange, incomprehensible, sometimes illegitimate reasons. But all things considered, it's no worse than that furious witch-hunt going on here, with a certain fiery moderator enjoining you to shut your trap as soon as you mention anything happening north of the 40th parallel. A crusade against nordicists and nordicism may be just fine, but constant, undue suspicions and aggressive slurs (condemning, stigmatizing, ostracizing... as if one were the sole depositary of the Truth Revealed) eventually turn anti-nordicism into its own form of racism. I moved to Anthrogenica because I found the atmosphere stifling here. I felt comfortable there, discussing things with Irishmen, Poles, but also Portuguese, Italians, Greeks, Turks, Jews and what not. Genetically, I stand on an isthmus between north and south, and feel comfortable with both sides on Anthro. Not so here.
Whether Anthro gets revived or not, I won't be staying here for sure. I popped in in passing to see how things stood... they are worse than when I left. I hope Maciamo (whom I greatly respect) will eventually put his foot down and take the Thought Police down a peg or two.

Anthrogenica, a den of racists and nordicists ?
DPjI5nk.png

Sure, on Anthrogenica, some people get banned for strange, incomprehensible, sometimes illegitimate reasons. But all things considered, it's no worse than that furious witch-hunt going on here, with a certain fiery moderator enjoining you to shut your trap as soon as you mention anything happening north of the 40th parallel. A crusade against nordicists and nordicism may be just fine, but constant, undue suspicions and aggressive slurs (condemning, stigmatizing, ostracizing... as if one were the sole depositary of the Truth Revealed) eventually turn anti-nordicism into its own form of racism. I moved to Anthrogenica because I found the atmosphere stifling here. I felt comfortable there, discussing things with Irishmen, Poles, but also Portuguese, Italians, Greeks, Turks, Jews and what not. Genetically, I stand on an isthmus between north and south, and feel comfortable with both sides on Anthro. Not so here.
Whether Anthro gets revived or not, I won't be staying here for sure. I popped in in passing to see how things stood... they are worse than when I left. I hope Maciamo (whom I greatly respect) will eventually put his foot down and take the Thought Police down a peg or two.

Agreed, Anthrogenica is definitely not a den of nordicists. Not even theapricity is anymore. It's mostly iberians, italians, balkan people, and latin americans. :LOL: Nordicism in anthroforums isn't really even that much of a thing anymore. It's true that the majority of members on anthrogenica have ancestry from the british isles, or northern europe, but the majority of ancestry test takers are of wasp ancestries so it makes sense. But these people generally are the least of the racist people in my experience, and quite frankly the most respectful compared to others. Sadly, and for whatever reason, southern europeans, and (colonial latin american types) are full of racial insecurity and it's what creates a very radiant environment. I like anthrogenica because it's focused on the scientific approach... albeit there is a lot of bans that are from very small things, and I disagree with some of those decisions, the same happens on other forums for some other pathetic reasons. Every forum has agendas.

I hope Anthrogenica will be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 106626 times.

Back