Society New maps of cat & dog ownership by country

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Have you ever wondered in which countries people preferred cats over dogs or the other way round? Where are people most likely or least likely to own a dog? As usual a picture is worth a thousand words.

Americans are in fact the most likely to have a dog as a pet, with an amazing 63% of households who do have a canine friend as a family member. That is 16% more than the most dog friendly country in Europe: Romania. In average only 20 to 25% of Europeans have a dog. The Icelanders, Swiss, Austrians and Greeks are the least likely to have a dog, with respectively 8%, 12%, 13% and 14% of households having one. That is way higher than in most Muslim countries though, where dogs are generally shunned for religious reasons (the Quran makes quite a few negative references to dogs), so that less than 1% (often 0.1%) of households actually have one. One exception is Turkey with 7% of dog owners.

Cats are much more common in Muslim countries and the European average is also slightly higher than for dogs, hovering around 30%. Romanians are the biggest fans of cats, with 47% of households have one, followed by Americans (43%) and Ukrainians (42%). Other sources mention Russia on top with 59%, followed by Ukraine at 49%.

Icelanders and Greeks are once again among the least likely to own a cat.

So which countries have a marked preference for cats over dogs, with lets say over 10% more owners? These include:

Austria : +17% for cats
Switzerland : +16%
Norway : +14%
France : +11%
Latvia : +11%

Countries biased in favour of dogs are:

The United States : +20% for dogs
Czechia : +20%
Ireland : +19%
Spain : +15%
Slovakia : +14%

I had an American Cocker, a Golden Retriever and now I have a Chihuahua and it is delicious, charming, I had never really been attracted to that breed and I bought it for practicality due to its size and it was a discovery.

On my block of ten houses, five have dogs, so, close to the average, and these aren't working dogs they might have in more rural areas like the south and west.

Where I'm moving it's higher. It looks like a constant parade of dog walkers.

Do more Europeans live in apartments or condos versus free standing houses? Might that have something to do with it? My seventy-five pound dog needs a big yard and one and a half to two hour a day "workouts" in the woods and at dog parks, or it affects his behavior. The rest of the time he sleeps. It's the hound in him.:)

Do more Europeans live in apartments or condos versus free standing houses? Might that have something to do with it?

A much higher percentage of Europeans live in apartments than Americans, so that may be part of the reason. Only British, Irish and Macedonian people have a higher ratio of houses to apartments than the USA.

Live_in_apartments.png

I would like to get a dog, eventually. I like border collies, because they're one of the most intelligent breeds. They can learn up to a thousand words. But their fur would be an issue.

They also get cantankerous if they don't have a "job" to do. They need the mental stimulation.

Imo, all the nice big, smart breeds shed, and believe me, it's a big issue. I have sheets down on the places my dog sits and I have to vacuum the floors every day. There's hair all over.

I had once considered a Wheaten Terrier because they don't shed much if at all, but the owners I know to a person say they're very hard to train not to jump, to sit, and to come on command et.

I just saw an article where the breeder who started the trend for mixing two well known breeds to try to get the best qualities of each, i.e. the cockapoo, etc. said it was a huge mistake and they're crazy and difficult to train.

Best to stick to the pure breds if you can, so you know what you're getting, and from a recognized breeder and absolutely not from a pet store, who get their dogs from unscrupulous "puppy mills".

If you do not want hair, the Miniature Schnauzer, Yorkshire, Caniche (Poddle I think in english) or Bichon Maltes are delicious but it involves spending in dog grooming and many hours at home for hair care. If you do not take care of the hair of these dogs at home, do not expect to go to the dog groomer once a year afterwards and have the schauzer striming or spend 5 hours to remove the knots of hair from your Yorkshire because you don't brush it daily at home so they will have to cut by machine and you will have the Schanuzer or Yorkshire with short hair as almost everyone wears it.

I have neither the time nor the desire to brush a Yorkshire or a Schnauzer daily so I have a Chihuahua

More than a choice by taste, you have to choose what is best, it is my experience and one can take pleasant surprises.

If you live in an apartment, a female is preferable because she urinates crouched in the diaper, the males raise their legs to urinate and they can spend all day with the mop bucket cleaning many places in the house because the males mark the territory It doesn't even stop even though they are neutered.

There are shops and stores. There are stores that work with professional breeders and others perhaps import puppies, even though it is a very monitored and regulated legal activity at least today, a few decades ago there was more lack of control and more illegal imports, today it is difficult for a shop is gambling with a client with a puppy for a commission on the sale of € 200 or perhaps less At present, it is true that decades ago the store had a 100% margin on the special price that the breeder made, but the sale on the Internet, the illegal sales of puppies by individuals, Chinese bazaars, supermarkets e.t.c. they are making pet stores practically disappear.

I bought this last one online and by phone from a canine breeder in Seville who works very well and I chose it by photo and everything has turned out exceptionally well.

I don't think they send dogs to other continents or countries. Normally, if the purchase is online, as in this page, the breeders show their faces and other pages are easily accessed where they only show puppies and the kennel, e.t.c. facilities are not seen. I would trust less.

https://criaderocantillana.com/

Last edited:
They also get cantankerous if they don't have a "job" to do. They need the mental stimulation.

Imo, all the nice big, smart breeds shed, and believe me, it's a big issue. I have sheets down on the places my dog sits and I have to vacuum the floors every day. There's hair all over.

I had once considered a Wheaten Terrier because they don't shed much if at all, but the owners I know to a person say they're very hard to train not to jump, to sit, and to come on command et.

I just saw an article where the breeder who started the trend for mixing two well known breeds to try to get the best qualities of each, i.e. the cockapoo, etc. said it was a huge mistake and they're crazy and difficult to train.

Best to stick to the pure breds if you can, so you know what you're getting, and from a recognized breeder and absolutely not from a pet store, who get their dogs from unscrupulous "puppy mills".

I also wanted to get a dog. All my neighbors have dogs... almost, out of 5, 4 have dogs(labrador, golden retriever, some sort of small dog, and rottweiler) , and by this point I consider them my dogs too :) And they love me, positive reinforcement due to all the treats I give them I think :LOL:
At this point I do not think I would be the ideal "owner" (I hate that word) for a dog though, so I am delaying getting one. They have their needs and psychology, not walking/playing with them enough I would consider abuse.

I absolutely love how Dobermans look, but they are categorized as "bullies"... :(
Other than that Retriever (1), Collies(2), and Swiss White Shepherds(3) would be on top of the list if I were to get one. Although I think the best idea would be to get two... so they can stimulate each other mentaly and play together when I have no time to deal with their physical needs...

Edit: Forgot to put Doberman pictures:

292497_a918dbe720ef40b2aa562389e2c5a2e5~mv2_d_3181_4873_s_4_2.webp

44444.jpg

DBS_GoldRetriever_1280.jpg

watch

That head tilt when he focuses melts my heart <3

be273664ed1e23cb8044a43896f7af08.jpg

PS: I would also aim to adopt... I have no issues with "breeders" as its their livelihood and the professional ones go out of their way to beget healthy dogs... but I do have an issue with unregulated puppy farms...

Oh and I disprove of breeders that gave us this:

b8f46a82371691d57cc604f5509b449c.png

Feel sorry for the dogs being selectively bred to being cute... with the baggage that they will suffer from 101 health issues all their lives as a result.

84989321_166452628116120_3997010090233167872_n.jpgMy first dog was Daisy the beagle, and I now have a springer spaniel named Coco. My father is a big dog lover (Coco loves Grampa, as did Daisy before her), as is my maternal uncle, so I've got it from both sides. I'm not the first in the family to have a spaniel; my father's paternal grandparents were fond of cocker spaniels, a nice small dog to have when you live in a big city like Chicago.
73091488_108668693894514_7957120149331378176_n.jpg

Well this is my dog. He was my daughter's dog, and a shelter dog. I know it sounds heartless, but I wouldn't have done it myself. Each breed has its character, and when you settle on a breed that you think would be a good fit, and get one from a reputable breeder, the outcome is a better one.

With mixed breeds you don't know what you're going to get, and if they were abused they need all sorts of special care and training, and some never get over it.

Yet here I am. :) I love him to death, and he's the most affectionate dog I've ever had, but he has been a real challenge in a lot of ways, mostly for the fact that he takes protecting us and guarding the property to extreme lengths. Any sound from outside, any one ringing the bell, any workmen coming in and he goes into high alert. Sometimes it seems as if he's going to go right through the door to get at whoever it is. Worse, it extends to when we're in the car with him. Any dog or man approaching the car and he attacks the window. Let me tell you, anyone with lots of valuables or cash in the house or delivering them would do great with my dog. Seriously, I have a sophisticated security system but it's a waste except for when we're all out of the house, including him. He's better than any electronic security. He has actually trained "us" that when we are about to go to sleep he wants to go on a search of the entire perimeter of the property to make sure we're all secure.

His saving grace is that when we take him for walks or to dog parks or human parks for that matter he's as gentle as a lamb. He lets people pet him, licks their hands or faces if they'll let him, puts his head in their laps, and is polite to the other dogs. Well, unless he's at the dog park and some dog growls at him or tries to "hump" him. Then he gets angry. He has to always be the alpha dog.

I should add that although they told us he's a hound mix, and you can see it in his face, his coloring and body type looks to me as if it has a bit of either Doberman or Rottweiler. People tell me Rottweilers are extremely loving and affectionate toward their owners so maybe he's part Rottweiler.

This is when he was only about a year old. He's bigger, heavier and more muscular now.

q9IO2Og.png

IGvRNEI.jpg

@Joey,

I had a Springer Spaniel growing up; such a loveable dog! Only problem, as you know, is that they love water. He would swim in our pond all the time and then roll around in the dirt. Drove my mother crazy.

Also had a standard poodle. Clean, no shedding, smarter than most people, but wasn't really loving at all.

I've heard good things about Beagles too.

Love Labs and Golden Retrievers, except Golden Retrievers get so lazy and heavy with age it seems to me.

Worst thing about dogs? They have too short a lifespan.

There are different kinds of dog allergies,

Get tested, and depending on your allergies or sensitivity, find a breeder who’ll match you with a dog.

... there may be differences among the same kind of dogs,

It could takes a while and it costs a little money.

... ask to keep the dog for a week or two to see how it goes ... before committing.

One of my relatives did it :)

Well this is my dog. He was my daughter's dog, and a shelter dog. I know it sounds heartless, but I wouldn't have done it myself. Each breed has its character, and when you settle on a breed that you think would be a good fit, and get one from a reputable breeder, the outcome is a better one.

With mixed breeds you don't know what you're going to get, and if they were abused they need all sorts of special care and training, and some never get over it.

Yet here I am. :) I love him to death, and he's the most affectionate dog I've ever had, but he has been a real challenge in a lot of ways, mostly for the fact that he takes protecting us and guarding the property to extreme lengths. Any sound from outside, any one ringing the bell, any workmen coming in and he goes into high alert. Sometimes it seems as if he's going to go right through the door to get at whoever it is. Worse, it extends to when we're in the car with him. Any dog or man approaching the car and he attacks the window. Let me tell you, anyone with lots of valuables or cash in the house or delivering them would do great with my dog. Seriously, I have a sophisticated security system but it's a waste except for when we're all out of the house, including him. He's better than any electronic security. He has actually trained "us" that when we are about to go to sleep he wants to go on a search of the entire perimeter of the property to make sure we're all secure.

His saving grace is that when we take him for walks or to dog parks or human parks for that matter he's as gentle as a lamb. He lets people pet him, licks their hands or faces if they'll let him, puts his head in their laps, and is polite to the other dogs. Well, unless he's at the dog park and some dog growls at him or tries to "hump" him. Then he gets angry. He has to always be the alpha dog.

I should add that although they told us he's a hound mix, and you can see it in his face, his coloring and body type looks to me as if it has a bit of either Doberman or Rottweiler. People tell me Rottweilers are extremely loving and affectionate toward their owners so maybe he's part Rottweiler.

This is when he was only about a year old. He's bigger, heavier and more muscular now.

q9IO2Og.png

IGvRNEI.jpg

@Joey,

I had a Springer Spaniel growing up; such a loveable dog! Only problem, as you know, is that they love water. He would swim in our pond all the time and then roll around in the dirt. Drove my mother crazy.

Also had a standard poodle. Clean, no shedding, smarter than most people, but wasn't really loving at all.

I've heard good things about Beagles too.

Love Labs and Golden Retrievers, except Golden Retrievers get so lazy and heavy with age it seems to me.

Worst thing about dogs? They have too short a lifespan.

It looks like Gekas, evolution of Juras
gekas.jpg

41fcc9208b8b07c95458162c8074dff2-700x600.jpg

Juras the name is after Jurasic Alps

ixnilates1.jpg

my dog is 3/4 Gekas and 1/4 hound

It looks like Gekas, evolution of Juras
gekas.jpg

41fcc9208b8b07c95458162c8074dff2-700x600.jpg

Juras the name is after Jurasic Alps

ixnilates1.jpg

my dog is 3/4 Gekas and 1/4 hound

Oh my gosh, he looks so much like my dog! What a beautiful face! The other day someone at the dog park told my husband he looked like a "Hellenic hound". Is this what he meant, a gekas? Is it considered part of the hound family?

Do they have that very protective personality?

Other than that Retriever (1), Collies(2), and Swiss White Shepherds(3) would be on top of the list if I were to get one.

They are also my three favourites breeds. I used to have a Golden Retriever. Many of my neighbours of Border Collies. But if I had to get a new dog it would surely be a Swiss White Shepherd.

IGvRNEI.jpg

lietuviu-skalikas.jpg

This is skalikas - a Lithuanian national breed of hound dogs. He is also kind of reminds your dog. Nowadays very few people keep them because skalikai are so very fond of barking...

yDMoot8m6vK1p80SI96LHbyDAqdd5-eqCbLkzzJ9w4nBSXet9M3GU24-g0hojSxXekj-RldUCCg80wGN6gTm_so-FcIFPfKEvoM9bPhZne-U_8BHAwfe4WOkg95yLMEU_ep2KdR344RczDkM8GkkHvC8ACOHV6y4hdXJWBKw8NYC90vKKWV-caP91T6xxAvv8gF4ylYVRgN1fQie6p7IawgoqtiPQWZIMsBF9E3LXU_xiAt0u9hdjDkJZGXG06dKH8dNwVktITtowA8OBR1kVLEACV9Ns4e3d8IyWeHe7QmaGGOfQjDuhYWw9HOQDb7lhCUVSqafZM3ehJvGWsXOkGWJHFFfEs3089we7aCtzvzVjmXnXo6jKVHgGlxyI3KcABd6n8SOi1Sa6UhJfe3_1x2dRoA60CqEnyMst47xQk-Afle91UCI9ZMb9hHIBmQWciq36Zp_o5EPT-QPNpcGZWYaYwthKanB0S5HyxHkV49hT07vTScJLVT6rLZSfEq1lHDHcViKICjaFZX24eh8Gle-p3n1p39HQaR2iCa7TPN8IZz3CUO_QWTteWFsb_riYbBEUH32R5HU2TEqMEx8U8zDf6pflqeCp1BE90bBZPwPmn72I4gfa6jmmwBrgkbGSP8hFBDJP2eFhLf2TWuirtJv7aquZi6Q3Nl87YHPVH-1kOZcuLzC5cgoRSon2Q=w998-h748-no

This is mine dog - German pointer, he is almost 14 years now. I love him so much, incredible how much humans get attached and love their dogs ;) Time to go for a walk now - we'll head to the same spot which is on the picture.

Oh my gosh, he looks so much like my dog! What a beautiful face! The other day someone at the dog park told my husband he looked like a "Hellenic hound". Is this what he meant, a gekas? Is it considered part of the hound family?

Do they have that very protective personality?

wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_Harehound

he is so protective, that when my brother in law, who sometimes take him for training, felt by sliding the road,
he stood above him, so nobody touch him, offcourse also nobody him,
my nephew and daughters take him at their night walks, feeling saftety.

they are powerfull dogs according their size, but bark a lot,
they are used for rabit hunting mainly, and secondary for wild boars, sometimes for bird hunting but not their speciality.

They are very very jealous, and need special training for that,
they are sensitive so you understand their feelings, as also they understand you.

Generally they understand every word and feeling, but if become pack, their place is not clean, and a 'sexy being' pass, by they are just 'mules'
they have a supreme 'ego', they must have 1 boss with strong will, and they adopt his family as member of the pack.

my dog rests only at early morning, all day he runs his place-field, and then stands as guardian at his yard door.
no need for a camera, he barks so everybody knows that someone is coming.

they are very difficult dogs, when he was 1,5 years old he run 14 km following his nose and return
Just never never leave him alone and dissapointed, their character turns to negative,
he demands his daily program, and 1-2 times his big walk to exercise his nose.

you understand their psycology by the way he looks at you, and if starts digging,
digging is a kind of anger for being lonely for them.

average 25+- 5 kilos

Last edited:
The Lithuanian Hound is a sturdy, medium sized dog.
Male and female are similar in size and weight.
Height: 21 - 24 inches (53 - 61 cm)
Weight: 60 - 75 pounds (27 - 32 kg)
Somehow they seem to be smaller to me than 60 cm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5bjQvFa5gA
https://www.dogzone.com/breeds/lithuanian-hound/

lithuanian-hound.jpg

Lithuanian hounds are very active scent hounds and are persistent and relentless hunters. They develop a strong attachment to their handler or family and can be somewhat reserved toward people they don't know. Their strong sense of smell combined with attachment to the family make them reasonably good watchdogs. They require daily, vigorous exercise, and have a moderate life span of 12 to 14 years.

Practically, Lithuanian hounds are most often kept by hunters and not by one but in packs; and they need a company of either other dogs or humans, and a lot of exercise and challenges to keep them out of destructive behaviour.

I liked their appearance, however, for keeping in a flat, German pointer is a better choice, as German pointers need a lot of exercise, too, but they don't have that much of chasing / barking instinct.

The Lithuanian Hound is a sturdy, medium sized dog.
Male and female are similar in size and weight.
Height: 21 - 24 inches (53 - 61 cm)
Weight: 60 - 75 pounds (27 - 32 kg)
Somehow they seem to be smaller to me than 60 cm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5bjQvFa5gA
https://www.dogzone.com/breeds/lithuanian-hound/

lithuanian-hound.jpg

Lithuanian hounds are very active scent hounds and are persistent and relentless hunters. They develop a strong attachment to their handler or family and can be somewhat reserved toward people they don't know. Their strong sense of smell combined with attachment to the family make them reasonably good watchdogs. They require daily, vigorous exercise, and have a moderate life span of 12 to 14 years.

Practically, Lithuanian hounds are most often kept by hunters and not by one but in packs; and they need a company of either other dogs or humans, and a lot of exercise and challenges to keep them out of destructive behaviour.

I liked their appearance, however, for keeping in a flat, German pointer is a better choice, as German pointers need a lot of exercise, too, but they don't have that much of chasing / barking instinct.

they are simmilar to the Greek hound Gekas, maybe more vertical cut at head.

these are from breeder trainer, and are too black, they hunt a jack rabbit.

there are 7 subraces of the old Balkan hound,

among the Greek Gekas recogn might be a split to the South Greek smaller and massive black and central-north Greek less black, and Olympus and mountain wich have a white feather line at neck

the bellow videos shows the old typical, to distinguish from Serbian hound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9uBje6P6lo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh3g3qALbiM

that is his cousin, the Serbian, notice the colour of the feet from the outside corner.
810bec7ad5e9d0c9aa6e6f6e8134e582.jpg

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 11867 times.

Back