Y-Chromosomal Lineages of Latvians

arvistro

Elite member
Reaction score
Y-Chromosomal Lineages of Latvians in the Context of the Genetic Variation of the Eastern-Baltic Region

Liana Pliss, Līga Timša, Siiri Rootsi, Kristiina Tambets, Inese Pelnena, Egija Zole, Agrita Puzuka, Areta Sabule, Sandra Rozane, Baiba Lace, Vaidutis Kucinskas, Astrida Krumina, Renate Ranka and Viesturs Baumanis.

Summary

Variations of the nonrecombining Y-chromosomal region were investigated in 159 unrelated Baltic-speaking ethnic Latvians from four different geographic regions, using 28 biallelic markers and 12 short tandem repeats. Eleven different haplogroups (hgs) were detected in a regionally homogeneous Latvian population, among which N1c, R1a, and I1 cover more than 85% of its paternal lineages. When compared its closest geographic neighbors, the composition of the Latvian Y-chromosomal gene pool was found to be very similar to those of Lithuanians and Estonians. Despite the comparable frequency distribution of hg N1c in Latvians and Lithuanians with the Finno-Ugric-speaking populations from the Eastern coast of the Baltic Sea, the observed differences in allelic variances of N1c haplotypes between these two groups are in concordance with the previously stated hypothesis of different dispersal ways of this lineage in the region. More than a third of Latvian paternal lineages belong specifically to a recently defined R1a-M558 hg, indicating an influence from a common source within Eastern Slavic populations on the formation of the present-day Latvian Y-chromosome gene pool.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ahg.12130/abstract

Not much surprises to be honest. Will give more detailed feedback later.

Statistics.
N1c1 = 42%
R1A1 = 38% (of those 35% M558+, 3% M458+)
R1B = 8%
I1 = 6%
I2 = 3%
Other (E, F, G, Q) = 3%

R1a-M558 % looks strange to me. But it looks like they included Z92+ under general M558+, otherwise it is hard to explain.

I checked regional % as well. Some paradoxes:
=N1C1 ratio goes down as we move from East Lettigallian (Baltic) to West Livonian (FU) folk.
Eastern - 48%
Central - 44%
South-West - 36%
North-West - 31%

=R1A is lowest in East (29%) and highest in North-West (45%). NW is Livonian lands, East is Latgalian.

On other regional things. R1B is highest (15%) in South-West which makes sense. I1 is highest (14%) in North-West which is strange. Former Livonian North-West - I1+R1a land?Little N1c?

edit: also this study is consistent with previous few that noted that Baltic (Letts, Lithuanians) have more N1C1 than Estonians. By around 5-10 percent points.

Table S3 Shared haplotypes among analyzed populations - this is interesting.

Couple of points - of 10 Latvian I1 haplotypes unique are 4, but the other 6 are shared with Finns and Karelians (!). Given I1 is highest in former Livonian lands, it starts to appear that Latvian I1 is of Finnish type for most part?
R1a haplotypes are equally shared with Lithuanians and Finno-Ugric folk. N1c haplotypes are not shared with populations outside of Latvia, strange. I would expect they would be shared with Lithuanians.

Anyway, I hope one day instead of haplotypes, they check for L1025, M2782 for N1c1 in Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia.

arvistro said:
also this study is consistent with previous few that noted that Baltic (Letts, Lithuanians) have more N1C1 than Estonians.

More N1c than ethnic Estonians, or more N1c than inhabitants of Estonia? Ethnic Estonians are only 2/3 of the population:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Estonia#Ethnic_groups

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Estonia#Languages

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estonianization#Family_names

Also there has been quite a lot of mixing between ethnic groups in Estonia, especially during the multi-culti Soviet period.

More N1c than ethnic Estonians, or more N1c than inhabitants of Estonia? Ethnic Estonians are only 2/3 of the population:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Estonia#Ethnic_groups

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Estonia#Languages

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estonianization#Family_names

Also there has been quite a lot of mixing between ethnic groups in Estonia, especially during the multi-culti Soviet period.
In these studies they take folk who call themselves Estonian.

Otherwise counterargument is there are more % of Estonians in Estonia than Latvians in Latvia...
So, if anything our N1c would be diluted most... But it is consistent with our Southern bros...
Also regionally, formerly Livonian regions have less N than East. NorthWest Latvia is most similar to Estonia (higher I1, less N, same R1a).

The hotspot of N1c1 is L_tts tribe (East Lithuania, East Latvia). Lettigalians, Lithuanians, terra Lettia (Jersika), etc.

What sort of R1b subclades were found? Are they mostly the same ones found in other Balto-Slavic populations, or are there any unusual ones?

What sort of R1b subclades were found? Are they mostly the same ones found in other Balto-Slavic populations, or are there any unusual ones?
Well, they are still doing comparisons on haplotypes not subclades (except m558, m458 for R1a). I can check if our haplotypes matched those of neighboring folk or not.

But..keep in mind those are just haplotypes...

In general r1b levels are in tact with all neighbors, except increase in SW Latvia (Kurzeme), which had more German connections than rest of Latvia.

In these studies they take folk who call themselves Estonian.

Otherwise counterargument is there are more % of Estonians in Estonia than Latvians in Latvia...
So, if anything our N1c would be diluted most... But it is consistent with our Southern bros...
Also regionally, formerly Livonian regions have less N than East. NorthWest Latvia is most similar to Estonia (higher I1, less N, same R1a).

thanks

following my T ydna , estonia has between 3 and 5% of T ..........I find the Latvians with zero T ydna strange................maybe Estonia was the landing and departing area fro the vikings slave trade, ie, from Scandinavia and the east baltic region...........or maybe the Danish kingdom

Maybe the R1b where late into the area , came via the
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livonian_Order

The germans from this order where mostly Saxons and Thurgians
Some of it, but like I mentioned the % of r1b in Latvia is not higher than Belarus that never experienced Livonian order.

Only exception SW Latvia (Kurland), but even there it is a good question how it got there. Scandinav colony 650-900, Livonian Order, German colonists after 1905 revolt, etc..

In general it looks like so called German nobility of Livonia was not that German.

Side note - could not find more info on R1b, they provided only haplotypes/not subclades in the free supplementaries.

thanks

following my T ydna , estonia has between 3 and 5% of T ..........I find the Latvians with zero T ydna strange................maybe Estonia was the landing and departing area fro the vikings slave trade, ie, from Scandinavia and the east baltic region...........or maybe the Danish kingdom

Sile, this information is wrong. There are haplogroup T members in Lithuania, Sweden and Finland but are not found in Latvia nor Estonia. All found Estonian K* belongs to L haplogroups, specifically to L2. Haplogroup L2 has their highest diversity in Europe, is found to be of deep European origin.

These Estonian haplotypes are publicly available and you can compare to the L2 haplotypes found in the FTDNA haplogroup L Project.

Sile, this information is wrong. There are haplogroup T members in Lithuania, Sweden and Finland but are not found in Latvia nor Estonia. All found Estonian K* belongs to L haplogroups, specifically to L2. Haplogroup L2 has their highest diversity in Europe, is found to be of deep European origin.

These Estonian haplotypes are publicly available and you can compare to the L2 haplotypes found in the FTDNA haplogroup L Project.

You should discuss this with the owner of this site Maciano and ask him where he got his Ydna T numbers from for Estonia

the onnly ones I seen was a test of 207 estonians of which 3.5% where T ydna , but all spoke a uralic language.

then there is the 2000 paper , since recalculated which has
haplogroup among Estonian men is N, found among 34 percent of those tested, followed by R1a, found in about 32 percent. I1 is found in 15%, R1b in 8%, T in 3.5%, I2* and/or I2a in 3%, E1b1b in 2.5%, J2 in 1%, I2b in 0.5%, and Q in 0.5%.

I did once see/recall a wiki note saying these estonians where all ydna L
Migration Waves to the Baltic Sea Region............paper does not state which marker L or T it was
someone stated they put the numbers through a program and said all the L are
L2-L595

I care little on what they are , T or L , they where once in union as LT-P326

This thread has been viewed 9413 times.

Back