Most WHG guy ever?

'steppe': what sort? 'Asian'??? what meaning, indeed?!?
His eyes are relatively almond shaped, his cheekbones. I don't think this is a good example of WHG at all, his bone structure is way off.

Can anyone explain why he looks the way he does then? Why is he so atypical?

Because phenotype is complex relative to genetic footprint. There is never a certain correlation between someones genetic profile and how the traits they inherit that makes them look the way they are. Even in the most homogenis populations (especially in south europe), ie. Portuguese, you'll find many different types of looks with people with the same genetic footprints. To pull this point further, im sure people can agree... in families alone (at least southern europeans) have a complexity of looks. In my own I have blue eyed, blonde haired germanic looking people, then you got atlantid-looking portuguese, mediterranid looking, and then even middle-eastern, north african looking, all in the same family.

The typical portuguese look like you
Atlantid ? ( not anthropology expert);)
Just asking because soon when i will visit
Portugal the place i would be is porto
It is more in the north of portugal no ?

Because phenotype is complex relative to genetic footprint. There is never a certain correlation between someones genetic profile and how the traits they inherit that makes them look the way they are. Even in the most homogenis populations (especially in south europe), ie. Portuguese, you'll find many different types of looks with people with the same genetic footprints. To pull this point further, im sure people can agree... in families alone (at least southern europeans) have a complexity of looks. In my own I have blue eyed, blonde haired germanic looking people, then you got atlantid-looking portuguese, mediterranid looking, and then even middle-eastern, north african looking, all in the same family.

I don't think that quite answers it. Those populations (ie portuguese) have Steppe ancestry relative to NF ancestry. That being said what's the fellow's who looks like neither compared relatively to his NF ancestry? Not steppe that's for sure.

Nevertheless it was the kind of face (bones) that was the more often found among the first Corded Ware. A maybe a more northern selected kit of features among Steppics who were a bit more massive and broad faced as a whole, and more variated concerning facial look, if I read well.
Currently the input of this "type" or of the principal features attached to this "type" is still visible among Scandinavian pop's and at a lesser level in other pop's of Germanic or even Slavic, Baltic, Finnic origin, spite not typical of the most of these last pop's.

I take you consider some of his features are present in these populations? That's what I thought too. I've even seen some in the British Isles like Ireland and Spain.

You just said he looks atypical.
Make up your mind.
I asume the more typical Sardinians do no have those features. His bone structure looks Central European.

Asian is far fetched. No evidence for that.

Asian is far fetched. No evidence for that.
Not at all.
Europe is small and part of Eurasian continent and Central Asia is next to Europe. You shouldn't watch a map, but a round globe.
The first post mentioned he is atypical. So the more typical inhabitants are the ones who look most WGH.

I agree for the most. But in some pop's there is more homogeneity for features than in others; it's true that as a pop grows in number, some new mutations can add some new features, but no wholly opposed to ancient ones.
The question is that when we speak of 'genetic footprints' we speak often of a new recent mix of different parental pop's (the most common case among Humans) and we consider people with roughly the same proportions of parental (parent pop's) genes or admixture that they have the same genetic profile: it's a half truth, because they do'nt share exactly the same parental genes but only a rather comparable %'s of the diverse pop's they are issued of. It's not opposed to what you say: even in same families, brothers and sister dont share so much homozygotic segments.
So the fact that in the same family you have very different phoenotypical traits is not the proof it's a normal case in nature; nature tends to constrain and select (even if it's very less true among modern Humans), but we Humans are very out-mating people since long enough time and our "de-selection" runs faster than our selection. BTW the same brethren show a high amount of differences in the distribution of autosomal traits.
That said, some pop's show some tendancies and peculiar individual looks appear commonly there. It's why we don't confuse Swedes, Czechs, Portuguese or Bosniaks when they are in groups of say: ten people, or a bit more (to discard statistical hazard).

This Sardinian (pedigree?);otherwise, has a too strong inferior jaw and his chin forms doesn't evoke me a typical 'mediter' of any kind, in typology. Neither his nose is.

The typical portuguese look like you
Atlantid ? ( not anthropology expert);)
Just asking because soon when i will visit
Portugal the place i would be is porto
It is more in the north of portugal no ?

Well, no John I'm not really the archetypical example of my ethnicity. I fit as Portuguese absolutely, because there are people like me if you visit which you'll see across from north to south, but I am naturally dark skinned olive, almost light brown, with dark hair, and eyes. The average untanned will be lighter olive, or reddish tan skin, with dark hair and eyes. But features are more important... most portuguese have smaller noses, and straight brown or black hair, and sharp jaw. Hope that helps.

Porto is beautiful you absolutely should visit. It's in the north, yes. I went a couple years ago when I was a bit younger and loved it up there.

I don't know if this the appropriate subsection for this.

This Sardinian fellow strikes me alot for being atypical. But he carries traits you'd might consider to be neither Anatolian Neolithic or Steppe but might consider natively "European" but more so on the radical side like Udmurts and Sardinians. Relatively darkskin, light eyes, and "Cro-Magnon" features.

View attachment 13420View attachment 13421View attachment 13422
Who knows he might be a WHG survivor. How much WHG would he be?

He looks pretty much like a so- called Mestizo. To me, he has a very exotic look.

He looks pretty much like a so- called Mestizo. To me, he has a very exotic look.

He certainly doesn't look anything like the most isolated Sardinians of the Gennargentu.

I think I'll start a thread about them. They are the people identified as being the most isolated and distinct Sardinians, with next to no steppe or eastern ancestry. Just vast majority of Anatolia Neolithic and then a chunk of WHG.

He certainly doesn't look anything like the most isolated Sardinians of the Gennargentu.

I think I'll start a thread about them. They are the people identified as being the most isolated and distinct Sardinians, with next to no steppe or eastern ancestry. Just vast majority of Anatolia Neolithic and then a chunk of WHG.

How much "WHG" do Sardinians score in total and percentage-wise?

according to this research using qpAdm model

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7080320/

supplementary table 14: page 29

9.7%( i dont know from where the sardinians samples they used came in the island there might be
variation in the anatolian neolithic and whg ancesteries in different parts of the islands
ogliastra for example: is the most isolated region so it migh have different values% of those components
)

p.s
neolithic and chalcolithic sardinians ( beside the I15940 outlier ) had more whg ancestery 14.6%
But it was diluted with iranian neolithic ancestery 13.9% in modern sardinians and even yamnaya ancestery 10.6%
in modern sardinians

according to this research using qpAdm model

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7080320/

supplementary table 14: page 29

9.7%( i dont know from where the sardinians samples they used came in the island there might be
variation in the anatolian neolithic and whg ancesteries in different parts of the islands
ogliastra for example: is the most isolated region so it migh have different values% of those components
)

p.s
neolithic and chalcolithic sardinians ( beside the I15940 outlier ) had more whg ancestery 14.6%
But it was diluted with iranian neolithic ancestery 13.9% in modern sardinians and even yamnaya ancestery 10.6%
in modern sardinians

Do you know how much a Portuguese person usually scores? I'd assume more. I get around 11.6% on the ancient calculator, but EEF and steppe also have some engrained in it.

Do you know how much a Portuguese person usually scores? I'd assume more. I get around 11.6% on the ancient calculator, but EEF and steppe also have some engrained in it.

yes that what i see portuguese average in ancient g25 calculator of davidski
https://www.exploreyourdna.com/whg.aspx

portuguase avergae
is 11.59% whg , 29.95% yamnaya, 49.22% antolian neolitihic barcin , 4.67% tepechik ciftlik turkey , 4.58% morocco- tarfolat

but i counting more on qpAdm runs from scientific papers i just don't know how to do it

Well, no John I'm not really the archetypical example of my ethnicity. I fit as Portuguese absolutely, because there are people like me if you visit which you'll see across from north to south, but I am naturally dark skinned olive, almost light brown, with dark hair, and eyes. The average untanned will be lighter olive, or reddish tan skin, with dark hair and eyes. But features are more important... most portuguese have smaller noses, and straight brown or black hair, and sharp jaw. Hope that helps.

Porto is beautiful you absolutely should visit. It's in the north, yes. I went a couple years ago when I was a bit younger and loved it up there.

Here's a funny thread... since John asked if I look like a "normal Portuguese". I've been asked this on many forums already, so to better wrap some heads around it here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/portugal/c...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Many portuguese responses. These are not people that care that much about being muh "european looking" these are ordinary folk who couldnt give a shit, bc they arent racially obsessed. Many are at least honest that they can pass as even non-european things, because Portugal has people like that, and the same is true for south italy, sicily, greece, etc. but some others won't be as honest on genetic sites bc that demographic cares too much about their image.

Sardinia is very heterogeneous. The most important dividing line, however, is the Sardinians of the Gennargentu massif, which is in western Ogliastra province and part of Nuoro province.

Chiang et al heavily sampled all regions and noted the differences. The villages on the massif range from 4%WHG to 18%. Steppe ranges from 0 to about 4%.

The particularly isolated and "unique" signature can be found in Arzana, Ilbono, Villagrande, then Gairo, Barisardo, Loceri, Lanusei.

Arzana is 9% Loschbour and 4% Yamnaya.

Ilbono is 4% Loschbour and 9% Yamnaya.

Villagrande is 14% Loschbour and 2% Yamnaya.

Gairo is 18% Loschbour and 0% Yamnaya.

Of course, these are averages. There is variation within the villages.

I'm sorry I can't upload the chart. I think they've blocked it. Anyway, it's in the supplement.

People of Gairo:

IMG-20190608-WA0068.jpg

DSC_1423.jpg

IMG-20190608-WA0064.jpg

WhatsApp-Image-2018-08-14-at-13.33.43-770x480.jpeg

Most of them don't look very Italian to me, if anyone cares about my subjective opinion. If admixture correlates with "phenotype", too much WHG, too little steppe, and too little "Minoan".

Sardinia is very heterogeneous. The most important dividing line, however, is the Sardinians of the Gennargentu massif, which is in western Ogliastra province and part of Nuoro province.

Chiang et al heavily sampled all regions and noted the differences. The villages on the massif range from 4%WHG to 18%. Steppe ranges from 0 to about 4%.

The particularly isolated and "unique" signature can be found in Arzana, Ilbono, Villagrande, then Gairo, Barisardo, Loceri, Lanusei.

Arzana is 9% Loschbour and 4% Yamnaya.

Ilbono is 4% Loschbour and 9% Yamnaya.

Villagrande is 14% Loschbour and 2% Yamnaya.

Gairo is 18% Loschbour and 0% Yamnaya.

Of course, these are averages. There is variation within the villages.

I'm sorry I can't upload the chart. I think they've blocked it. Anyway, it's in the supplement.

People of Gairo:

IMG-20190608-WA0068.jpg

DSC_1423.jpg

IMG-20190608-WA0064.jpg

WhatsApp-Image-2018-08-14-at-13.33.43-770x480.jpeg

Most of them don't look very Italian to me, if anyone cares about my subjective opinion. If admixture correlates with "phenotype", too much WHG, too little steppe, and too little "Minoan".

nihms-1502262-f0001.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RaVbfXX.jpg

This thread has been viewed 8992 times.

Back