R1b-M269 / L23 and the diffusion of early metallurgy

More:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blacksmiths_of_western_Africa

Blacksmiths emerged in western Africa around 1500 BC. They are feared in some societies for their skill in metalworking, which is considered a form of magic, but universally revered by for their technological pioneering. While common people fear the power of the blacksmith, they are highly admired and hold high social status. Because the trade is so specialized and dangerous, blacksmiths are often requisitioned by towns and villages where there are none (Ross). Other ironworking societies such as the Mande people of Mali and the Bamana exist in West Africa.

Someone should test Y-DNA haplogroups of different Western African blacksmiths.

It might turn out that most of them share a common ancestor who lived ca. 1500 BC.

ATP3 (who was R1b-M269+ ???) from Iberia was among burials classified as "Pre-Bell Beaker" by archaeologists:

Check this paper - "An unusual Pre-bell beaker copper age cave burial context from El Portalon de Cueva Mayor site (Sierra de Atapuerca, Burgos)":

https://www.researchgate.net/public...e_Cueva_Mayor_site_Sierra_de_Atapuerca_Burgos

https://www.academia.edu/16986146/P...ón_de_Cueva_Mayor_Sierra_de_Atapuerca_Burgos_

When they say "Pre-Bell-Beaker" do they mean that he was no BB or that he was ancestral to BB?

I'm sceptical if one haplogroup could capture an idea, like bronze smelting, and run with it for centuries or even millennia spreading their Y DNA. It seems to be more of a Superhero realm than normal people. It is a nice read though, and kept me going for a while. :)

I tend to agree. I see some people still pushing the whole "metallurgy in western Europe came from Yamnaya people" scenario. Have they forgotten that Yamnaya was initially very primitive in terms of metallurgy, and borrowed the technology from others? Have they also forgotten that Remedello in northern Italy had copper metallurgy and were I2a typically Middle Neolithic people autosomally, and that G2a Oetzi used copper tools and more importantly had arsenic in his blood and so might have been a copper worker? Corded Ware barely had copper metallurgy when it was expanding.

As for J2, it's obvious that at some point J2 dominated cultures became highly skilled metalworkers.

I'm skeptical about all this speculation in the absence of hard data.

As for Iberian Bell Beaker, we should know very soon what yDna and autosomal signature they carried. I will say that a lot of the Beaker settlements in Iberia look coastal, with the large riverine ones perhaps spreading from the coast:
BellBeakerIberia2.png

For another view of the origin of Bell Beaker-The dogma of the Iberian origin of Bell Beaker:
http://www.jna.uni-kiel.de/index.php/jna/article/view/112/113

If it didn't originate in Iberia all bets would be off.

Does anyone know whether the Bell Beaker samples being tested by the Reich Lab include any from Los Millares? You'd have to be very careful about the dating though, as there are definitely different stages, an earlier Megalithic one and then a Bell Beaker one. Also, it's always looked to me as if there was definitely a new population movement into the area, and not necessarily from Europe.

Where they came from and what y signatures they carried is a whole other story.

"Los Millares was constructed in three phases, each phase increasing the level of fortification. The fortification is not unique to the Mediterranean area of the 3rd millinnum; other sites with bastions and defensive towers include the sites of Jericho, Ai, and Aral (in Palestine) and Lebous, Boussargues and Campe of Laures( in France)."
http://archaeology.about.com/od/mterms/qt/los_millares.htm

Their y signature might have been J2 for all we know.

See also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Millares
"Similarities between Los Millares architecture and the step pyramid at Monte d'Accoddi inSardinia have been noticed.

Angela said:
I see some people still pushing the whole "metallurgy in western Europe came from Yamnaya people" scenario. Have they forgotten that Yamnaya was initially very primitive in terms of metallurgy, and borrowed the technology from others?

Is it about me ??? Of course I'm not saying that metallurgy came to Europe from Yamnaya.

I'm saying that R1b men from the Balkans or from the Middle East introduced metallurgy to Yamnaya.

Angela said:
Have they also forgotten that Remedello in northern Italy had copper metallurgy and were I2a typically Middle Neolithic people autosomally, and that G2a Oetzi used copper tools and more importantly had arsenic in his blood and so might have been a copper worker?

They were just native Farmers of the area - not people responsible for spreading metallurgy.

What does it mean "copper worker" - physical labourer, simple miner? Surely not a skilled blacksmith.

Remedello in northern Italy had copper metallurgy and were I2a typically Middle Neolithic people autosomally

Powhatan were autosomally 100% Native Americans in 1620. But it doesn't disprove the existence of Jamestown. :)

When John Smith (what a coincidence!) came to North America, he did not immediately fell in love with Pocahontas.

Admixture between locals and newcomers always takes time (both groups are initially genetically distinct). When a new population mixes into a pre-existing gene pool, the percentage of the invader's genes within the population must be ~0 at time=0, by definition. The growth of admixture must be something like a linear slope, from a percentage of 0 at time=0 to a percentage X at time T. A population can't "start off as pretty heavy" anything. Individuals interbreed one by one. Entire cultural groups do not instantaneously interbreed.

Intermarriages of two groups result in a continuous change in admixture from zero to X, and do not require a large percent at t=0.

It could be that most of Remedello population was still Middle Neolithic autosomally, but some immigrants were already there.

When they say "Pre-Bell-Beaker" do they mean that he was no BB or that he was ancestral to BB?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that they mean "ancestral to BB".

Angela said:
and that G2a Oetzi used copper tools

This doesn't really tell us anything about Oetzi's profession.

Right now I'm using a smartphone - but I didn't produce it.

Why do you assume that Oetzi personally made those tools?

I tend to agree. I see some people still pushing the whole "metallurgy in western Europe came from Yamnaya people" scenario. Have they forgotten that Yamnaya was initially very primitive in terms of metallurgy, and borrowed the technology from others? Have they also forgotten that Remedello in northern Italy had copper metallurgy and were I2a typically Middle Neolithic people autosomally, and that G2a Oetzi used copper tools and more importantly had arsenic in his blood and so might have been a copper worker? Corded Ware barely had copper metallurgy when it was expanding.

As for J2, it's obvious that at some point J2 dominated cultures became highly skilled metalworkers.

I'm skeptical about all this speculation in the absence of hard data.

As for Iberian Bell Beaker, we should know very soon what yDna and autosomal signature they carried. I will say that a lot of the Beaker settlements in Iberia look coastal, with the large riverine ones perhaps spreading from the coast:
BellBeakerIberia2.png

For another view of the origin of Bell Beaker-The dogma of the Iberian origin of Bell Beaker:
http://www.jna.uni-kiel.de/index.php/jna/article/view/112/113

If it didn't originate in Iberia all bets would be off.

Does anyone know whether the Bell Beaker samples being tested by the Reich Lab include any from Los Millares? You'd have to be very careful about the dating though, as there are definitely different stages, an earlier Megalithic one and then a Bell Beaker one. Also, it's always looked to me as if there was definitely a new population movement into the area, and not necessarily from Europe.

Where they came from and what y signatures they carried is a whole other story.

"Los Millares was constructed in three phases, each phase increasing the level of fortification. The fortification is not unique to the Mediterranean area of the 3rd millinnum; other sites with bastions and defensive towers include the sites of Jericho, Ai, and Aral (in Palestine) and Lebous, Boussargues and Campe of Laures( in France)."
http://archaeology.about.com/od/mterms/qt/los_millares.htm

Their y signature might have been J2 for all we know.

See also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Millares
"Similarities between Los Millares architecture and the step pyramid at Monte d'Accoddi inSardinia have been noticed.

just for the record, Los Millares were not BB, at least not in origin
first BB appeared outside the walls of Zambujal in Portugal
Zumbujal was a walled city in which copper ores were smelted, just like Los Millares
Los Millares is a few centuries older than first BB

anyway it would be nice to have some early Iberian BB DNA, and Csépel BB DNA would be very interesting too

If no copper how could they get the idea?
I was just saying that invention of metallurgy doesn't need to correlate with areas of most abondance of metal.

anyway it would be nice to have some early Iberian BB DNA

David Reich's team is currently working on it, AFAIK.

As for me - I expect R1b to be a minority in early Iberian BB, but I think some will be there.

The majority will be typically Megalithic haplogroups.

It seems that Davidski (Eurogenes/Polishgenes) thinks that there will be no R1b in Iberian BB.

Tomenable;479662]Is it about me ??? Of course I'm not saying that metallurgy came to Europe from Yamnaya.

I'm saying that R1b men from the Balkans or from the Middle East introduced metallurgy to Yamnaya.

No, I wasn't thinking of you. As to the second statement, how can we possibly know whether the metal workers of the Balkans were R1b? The likelihood is surely greater at this point that they were either G2a like Oetzi or I2a. That's not to say there might not have been some R1b among them. The point is that this is total speculation with not one scrap of data upon which to base it.

They were just native Farmers of the area - not people responsible for spreading metallurgy.

No, actually they weren't just native farmers of the area. They had many of the indicia of an Indo-European culture. That's why Gimbutas, David Anthony, and Jean Manco were originally convinced that they were people of the steppe. They were also indeed skilled metallurgists.

See:
http://www.anthrogenica.com/archive/index.php/t-2685.html
"Yamnaya elements in the Remedello culture, such as single graves, copper-arsenic alloys and tanged daggers."

"The Remedello-Rinaldone complex (3200-2500 B.C.) bears all the marks of an Indo-European invasion: a new style of ceramics, a new burial rite, changes in the social structure, the introduction of a warrior aristocracy, the introduction of metallurgy, the horse and the chariot."

The Remedello samples from Allentoft et al are all I2a and are dated as follows:
Sample: RISE487
cal BC: 3483-3107 cal BC (Remedello I)
Sample: RISE489
cal BC: 2908-2578 cal BC (Remedello I-II)
Sample: RISE486
cal BC: 2134-1773 cal BC (Remedello III)

Two out of the three are after David Anthony's dates for the move up the Danube of the Yamnaya people (the earliest date given is 3100 BC and the later one is 2800 BC). One out of the three is very late indeed. Yet, still I2a and still autosomally Oetzi like.

Obviously, they were also already working with arsenical copper in Remedello I, before any of these movements, because Oetzi was carrying a Remedello style copper ax in 3300 BC.

I think the early technology probably thus did come from the Balkan However, there's no R1b around to date. (That early mine in Liguria is dated to 3500 BC.)

The Bell Beaker phase is not until 2400 BC, and the Bell Beaker metallurgy here is actually less advanced, which makes me think that if there was any influx of steppe people, this is when it took place.

The only autosomal change is in the very late Bell Beaker phase, in one sample, and it's very slight.
http://www.anthrogenica.com/archive/index.php/t-1389.html

See: Allentoft et al:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v522/n7555/full/nature14507.html

Cultural and technological changes are not always brought about by large movements of people. The Fu et al paper has pointed that out in showing that regardless of the cultural similarities the Gravettian of Europe had nothing to do with Mal'ta.

What does it mean "copper worker" - physical labourer, simple miner? Surely not a skilled blacksmith.

All we know is that he carried a Remedello style ax, from metal mined in Italy, and they found copper and arsenic during an analysis of his hair, so metallurgy was taking place and he was taking part in it.

"Ötzi’s hair also offered clues about the time in which he lived and his potential occupation. Analysis of Ötzi’s hair found traces of arsenic and copper particles and when combined with the copper axe which was found alongside his remains, some researchers have determined that he was involved in copper smelting."

[h=3]A close examination – Ötzi’s axe[/h]The metal for the axe edge was smelted from copper ore. It was then heated into a molten state and cast. Finally shaping was accomplished by cold-forging. The edge shows clear signs of use and resharpening with a whetstone.

I suppose it's also possible that Otzi got that copper and arsenic in him when sharpening the blade?

Now, since Otzi and his ax are dated to 3300 BC, and the axe is Remedello type, the people of Remedello were doing this work before any movement from the steppe. (In fact, Otzi's axe is older than the oldest Remedello axe found.)Again, I think it's Balkan and if the technology was not brought by G2a people, might have been brought by I2a people. After all, Remedello seems to be all I2a, and for hundreds of years.

https://books.google.com/books?id=k...tzi's copper ax-was it Remedello type&f=false

@Angela

I see some people still pushing the whole "metallurgy in western Europe came from Yamnaya people" scenario. Have they forgotten that Yamnaya was initially very primitive in terms of metallurgy, and borrowed the technology from others?

It's a bunch of ideas jumbled together so to clarify what I'm saying is:

1) The idea of endogamous metal working castes spreading certain dna in small amounts over wide areas. This possibility is a thing in itself - separate from what specific dna it was and where from.

2) Then if (1) is correct a debate over where from.

3) The idea that if (2) is correct there might be stages to it related to basic vs advanced metallurgy i.e. basic copper working is cold working - hammering copper into simple shapes like beads - like the steppe guy with 200+ copper beads. Later advances brought smelting etc into the mix. My view is that the first stage would most likely occur where copper is easily found on the surface. Later advances might happen elsewhere and lead to similar but possibly different dna caste expansions on that basis.

My view probably wasn't clear but it's that the first cold working stage would likely start in regions like Kargaly (there may be others as well) because of the size of the copper field. I don't think the more advanced stages necessarily did - and in fact I think it is *unlikely* simply due to lack of wood - so a backflow of the more advanced processes onto the steppe wouldn't surprise me.

If the Kargaly part is true - and maybe it isn't - then for me the most likely location for the smelting advance would be nearby locations that had both lots of copper and lots of wood e.g. Caucasus, Balkans and *if* there were secondary expansions caused by advances in metallurgy *and* the caste idea is correct then the ydna associated could flip with the advances (if you see what I mean).

For example
- cold working caste with dna y1 from Kargaly
- dna y1 moves to Caucasus/Balkans, develops more advanced metallurgy, picks up dna y2
- dna y2 moves to Cyprus
- dna y2 moves to Iberia

#

so
- agree with the possibility of the metal working caste
- disagree over where the first stage may have started
- neutral where secondary stages may have started

That may be clearer.

Smith is the most common surname in Britain. Kowalski (= "Smithski") is the most common surname in Poland. The profession was hereditary. If one clan invented furnace metallurgy, they kept the secret to themselves for as long as possible.

And all early smiths around Western Eurasia were likely descended from those very first smiths.
It prove your point you would need to present data that haplogroups of Kowalski or Smiths are substantially different from haplogroups of general population. Are there Kowalski or Smith families projects, and results available online?

After ENF = 60% G2a does anyone still believe in rapid cultural transitions without migrating people involved? :) It is obvious that early diffusion of advanced metallurgy = a demographic event (migrations of hereditary smiths). "Early Blacksmith Modal Haplotype" surely existed.
There is a difference. Spreading farming required spreading farming genes. So far there was no HG genetic community in Eurasia who learned to farm without genetic transfer, not even recent prairie Indians or Australian Aborigines. Don't take me wrong, they can understand the concept, they just don't care for it. And of course some individuals in these communities will be up for it, but not the general population.
Now unlike farming, spread of metallurgy didn't require spreading genes with knowledge. Sure a trade used to run in family as hereditary thing, but I'm not sure if it had trans-cultural effect. However if it is true, then we need to find out who had spread clay pots and ceramic in general into all hunter gatherer communities of Eurasia?

Spreading farming required spreading farming genes.

What ??? Sorry but farming is much easier to learn than mastering the art of metal working.

So spreading advanced metallurgy required spreading even more of metallurgical genes.

BTW - it is clear that modern so called "EEF" admixture in Europe is not in fact EEF, but something which came later.

Because G2a in Europe is almost extinct today, but EEF is not. Probably more "EEF-like" admixture came with R1b.

Unless you believe that all of EEF admixture in Europe today was mediated via women!

But Steppe admixture could be mediated to Western Europe via CWC women as well.

What ??? Sorry but farming is much easier to learn than mastering the art of metal working.
Nobody said it is very hard to learn. It is about changing life style, liking it, working all the time tending to animals and fields, eating a lot of starches and liking it and staying healthy with such diet, etc. Most of these adaptations are genetic in core. Teaching and learning farming skills is an easy part. Doing it and living it is difficult for HGs. ;)

Doing it and living it is difficult for HGs. ;)

And that's why modern Europe is entirely dominated by Hunter-Gatherer Y-DNA haplogroups - R1b, R1a, I1 and I2 ???

All those haplogroups were part of WHG, SHG, EHG (perhaps also CHG): none of them came with Early Neolithic Farmers.

ENF males failed in Europe, they almost got exterminated by descendants of Hunter-Gatherers, who took their women.

Even your and my Y-DNA comes from either EHG, WHG or CHG - despite your Pro-Farmer attitude... :)))

Well, R1a and R1b could be originally ANE haplogroups.

This thread has been viewed 58570 times.

Back