why did haplogroup J speak Semitic?

Just a theory ...Please comment.Afro-Asiatic spread already in mesolithic times along with E1b1b1, into the Levant, along the North African shores and into northeastern Africa.The Natufians and the Levant Neolithic were E1b1b1 supplemented with some H2.The Anatolian farmers were mainly G2a.J is only marginal in the neolithic, and probably also in chalcolithic.The bronze metallurgy spread from eastern Anatolia or Mesopotamia into the Levant and the Aegean, and J became the major haplogroup.Semitic was an Afro-Asiatic bronze age language in the Levant, and it was also the language of the Akkadians who arrived in southern Mesopotamia prior to written records. They were newcomers from the north though, pushing the Sumerians south.In the Aegean and bronze age Anatolia the main haplogroup was the newcomer J, but autosomal the population was still neolithic.J was probably a male elite with local wives.And the male J didn't raise his children. He left it to the mothers, and they taught them the local languages.
It seems likely, It is a great theory

I'm not a linguist, but could Armenian and Greek have developped in late Yamna, influenced by Sintashta?
That would have been around 4 ka.

That's really hard to say at this moment, but we can speculate. In my opinion Proto-Greek was already spoken and well developed/differentiated around 4 kya, so I think the common source of Greek and Armenian (and probably other ancient Balkanic & Anatolian languages, like Phrygian and perhaps Daco-Thracian) is even earlier, possibly Late Yamnaya or - I think more likely - Catacomb, but even before the expansion of Sintashta. But I think the closer link to Indo-Iranian in relation to other European IE groups may really indicate some mutual influence between Catacomb and Poltavka/Potapovka before the subsequent changes (like the wide expansion of R1a-Z93 and CWC-like ancestry with more EEF) that made steppe people even further apart from Yamnaya and led to Srubnaya and Sintashta. Catacomb was already, IIRC, more "northern" than Yamnaya and had closer links with the forest-steppe horizon, but it probably absorbd Yamnaya and mixed with it, so the links with Indo-Iranian but also with some Northwestern IE languages could maybe be explained due to that history.

...And the male J didn't raise his children. He left it to the mothers, and they taught them the local languages.

What language(s) do you think those early male J spoke? Would it have been related to a hypothesized pre-Indo-European haplogroup I language, or was it something else entirely?

That's really hard to say at this moment, but we can speculate. In my opinion Proto-Greek was already spoken and well developed/differentiated around 4 kya, so I think the common source of Greek and Armenian (and probably other ancient Balkanic & Anatolian languages, like Phrygian and perhaps Daco-Thracian) is even earlier, possibly Late Yamnaya or - I think more likely - Catacomb, but even before the expansion of Sintashta. But I think the closer link to Indo-Iranian in relation to other European IE groups may really indicate some mutual influence between Catacomb and Poltavka/Potapovka before the subsequent changes (like the wide expansion of R1a-Z93 and CWC-like ancestry with more EEF) that made steppe people even further apart from Yamnaya and led to Srubnaya and Sintashta. Catacomb was already, IIRC, more "northern" than Yamnaya and had closer links with the forest-steppe horizon, but it probably absorbd Yamnaya and mixed with it, so the links with Indo-Iranian but also with some Northwestern IE languages could maybe be explained due to that history.

ok, thank you

This thread has been viewed 9045 times.

Back