The Gay Marriage Controversy

How do you feel about gay marriage?

• I feel it is wrong and should be banned.

Votes: 62 26.1%
  • I feel homosexual couples should have the same rights as heterosexual couples.

Votes: 152 63.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 24 10.1%

• Total voters
Remember when the US and a lot of other countries didn't allow Black people to marry white people? You go ask a kid in British school these days and I bet you they wouldn't have even thought such laws existed. I think (and hope) that in the next couple of decades, especially in countries where gay people are equal in the law, kids will react the same when they learn two men or two women never used to be able to get married.

Also, at least in the UK, non-acceptance of gay people 95% of the time tends to be a generational problem. People who are now in their 20s are generally not homophobic. Once all the oldies start dying off, their out-dated values dying with them, I think we'll see much wider acceptance of gay people.

Live and let live. Why are some people so much against this? What people do in their bed rooms is their own business.

That's the issue, it's not confined only to the bedroom anymore. This gives rise to a whole new level of social and cultural issues.

That's the issue, it's not confined only to the bedroom anymore. This gives rise to a whole new level of social and cultural issues.

I agree with the concept of so-called "Gay Marriage". Why should two people not be able to legally commit to each other? But Gay Marriage leads to a far more important area, that being the right of gay couples to adopt children. OK, so they can love their children as much as hetrosexual couples, but my view leans toward a child having parents, one of each gender, for the childs proper mental and sociological development.

but my view leans toward a child having parents, one of each gender, for the childs proper mental and sociological development.
You are assuming that average heterosexual parents can do job raising kids better than average homosexual ones. Otherwise, do we have a proof?
Are you're concerned that homosexual parents can skew child sexuality? I'm sure they can't, it is hardwired in our genes. You can't say to the adolescent boy, "Look, here is a beautiful man, you have to like him, erect your penis now"? It just doesn't work this way. It is not a cultural phenomenon.

1. Government has no business telling a gay couple whether or not they can get "married".
2. Government has no business telling a heterosexual couple whether or not they can get married.
3. Government should stay out of marriage, period. It's not their concern.

That being said, I feel it's better for the child to have both a mother and a father. Biology has designed it like this... there must be valid reasons or advantages for having such a time tested arrangement.

Is polygamy going to be acceptable now? Where is the line? Can a man or woman "marry" another species? There has been a very clever word shift surrounding the term marriage. Can a person now "marry" a lawn chair?

Altering word meaning, especially one as basic to society as marriage, does have far reaching repercussions.

That being said, I feel it's better for the child to have both a mother and a father. Biology has designed it like this... there must be valid reasons or advantages for having such a time tested arrangement.
Biologically only man and women can have a child the natural way. The big question is if gays can raise adopted kids proper way, as good and valid members of society. I don't think there is science indicating otherwise.
Mostly people are against because it is not a traditional way. It is something new, and usually new scares people a lot.

What scientifically to prove, actually that's the question. Do we need proof that it is harmless for the kids before we allow gay parenting, or do we need proof that it is harmful before we forbid gay parenting?

...Mostly people are against because it is not a traditional way. It is something new, and usually new scares people a lot.

This "gay" thing really isn't new. Other societies have experimented with these cultural mores throughout time-- the most famous example probably being the ancient Greeks.

I have no problem with two adults doing whatever they want to each other (or three adults-- however they float their boat)... but when kids are brought into the picture, we are talking about a different situation.

Children fare best when raised by a loving mother AND father. I don't care whether or not this sounds politically correct... it is simply the truth.

Last edited:
I personally don't agree with it. To me, its between man and women.

=nordicwarbler;408005]This "gay" thing really isn't new.

This is true, there are proofs from different times in history that show not only that but also, same sex partnerships existed. For example Nero is said to have married two different men.

Children fare best when raised by a loving mother AND father.

To the best of my knowledge NW studies on children raised by same sex parents show they are no more prone to psychological problems than those raised by different sex parents.
In my opinion a child raised in a loving and secure environment will benefit from this, regardless of the sex of parents.

You are assuming that average heterosexual parents can do job raising kids better than average homosexual ones. Otherwise, do we have a proof?
Are you're concerned that homosexual parents can skew child sexuality? I'm sure they can't, it is hardwired in our genes. .

Good points, LeBrok. There are less studies on gay parents than lesbian parents, however on both, it seems children suffer no more or less than those raised by heterosexual parents or caregivers.
Also we should note, the majority of gay or lesbian people were raised by heterosexual parents or caregivers, which did not influence them to be heterosexual. Likewise, why should being raised by same sex parents result in a child being gay or lesbian?

This "gay" thing really isn't new. Other societies have experimented with these cultural mores throughout time-- the most famous example probably being the ancient Greeks.
Do we have ancient records telling us how they raised their kids? Well then, this is new and scary.

Children fare best when raised by a loving mother AND father. I don't care whether or not this sounds politically correct... it is simply the truth.
Again, how do you know that they fare better in comparison with two loving fathers or mothers scenario?

Also we should note, the majority of gay or lesbian people were raised by heterosexual parents or caregivers, which did not influence them to be heterosexual. Likewise, why should being raised by same sex parents result in a child being gay or lesbian?
Sometimes when busy looking into the details we miss the obvious. Thanks for bringing it up.

What? Heterosexual parents are not perfect either?! (sarcasm)

I have no problem with two adults doing whatever they want to each other (or three adults-- however they float their boat)... but when kids are brought into the picture, we are talking about a different situation.

I agree, but did ancient gays actually live their entire lives gay? Or did they fool around with men, and then marry women to procreate??

The difference is, many gays today want to live their entire lives gay in marriage to another gay, and then artificially bring children into the mix.

'Gay' has become something much more than just sexual preference. It's become an entire cultural and social identity and a movement.

'Gay' has become something much more than just sexual preference. It's become an entire cultural and social identity and a movement.
Well put, Barrister.

I agree, but did ancient gays actually live their entire lives gay? Or did they fool around with men, and then marry women to procreate??

The difference is, many gays today want to live their entire lives gay in marriage to another gay, and then artificially bring children into the mix.

It might be a definition of free societies. Gays were always amongst us, coming out off closets only during times of personal liberty, personal safety.
There were no gays during middle or dark ages, or pretty much till 20th century. It is still hard to be openly gay in small European of American villages, ...village justice is always close by...around the corner.

Nobody 1,I`m not at all sure what point you are trying to make here by posting this clip of a television series. Do you perhaps have concerns regarding "dogs"?

its just a clip, dont take it too seriously.
and since its Tony Soprano, not a scientist or politician, me posting this clip was just a joke; obviously you didnt get it; too bad

On a serious note, since all western societies have established that all their citizens are equal no matter what gender or what race, now its time for the 3rd dimension: no matter what sexuality.
And since science has taken a clear stand that homosexuality is not a choice but given by birth, should be no problem to give them all the equal rights.

But that does raise the question why dog effers and incestus siblings are excluded.

me posting this clip was just a joke; obviously you didnt get it; too bad

No, you see I still don`t "get" it. Explain it to me..what exactly are we "laughing" at here?

Also what has this clip to do with this thread ?

This thread has been viewed 383234 times.

Back