ABO blood group and disease resistance

Well that's the problem - I wasn't the one who got sequenced - it was my mother - and she's just told me they no longer show her that information for some reason. Seems then like it'd be a waste to have it done for me in order to find out my blood group (as opposed to the normal ABO blood type - which for me I'm fairly confident is B+ or B- if I recall - something B). Seems they've already retired the health tools from what I'm told.

Nothing to worry about. Just scan your 23andMe raw data with Promethease and you'll know your mother's blood type.

Since it was my mother who was sequenced and not me, her son (Not sure if gender would matter in blood group antigen inheritance) it seems I can’t ceck any of those SNP’s because there’s no guarantee I’d have inherited them.

Then just take the test. Aren't people screened for blood types at birth in Estonia? I thought that was a common practice in all EU countries.

Basically, I’m unsure of how the blood group – like diego(a+b+) is passed down from mother to son or daughter.

If one of your parent is Diego(a+b+) you have 50% chance of inheriting it.

I also have some autoimmunal issues with my skin since birth – namely psoriasis-like dry spots on my forehead, cheeks and the middle of my chest that have been there unless I moisturize like mad since I was a baby – none of my other siblings have them but my nephew has them in the exact same spots. I wonder if my mother’s antigens could cause that if I inherited the a- instead of a+, and even though there’s no way of knowing how she died at this point (it was the 1980’s and they just called it SIDS – sudden infant death syndrome – meaning they don’t know).

Very doubtful Diego antigens are causing this. Psoriasis is linked to some HLA types, not Diego types. I am not aware of Northeast Asians having more skin problems than the rest of the world. On the contrary they tend to have quite healthy skin.

which for me I'm fairly confident is B+ or B- if I recall - something B). Seems they've already retired the health tools from what I'm told.

I’ve always wondered about the cause of my life-long skin issues and my sister’s sudden death. What if it’s so simple as a mismatch of these bits? My father has a highly similar heritage to my mother – both a lot of Baltic/eastern European ancestry, though, so perhaps the odds of inheriting it are actually higher than for most.

I think you should start by finding out your exact ABO and rhesus. Because otherwise it will lead to more speculation. Your mom and sister could have had rhesus incompatibility issues. Just one of many possibilities. Could your skin issues also be allergy related?

My wife and I are both O+. The best map I've seen of ABO global patterns, shows Atlantic Europe as highly O type, so I question the perception of it being indigenous to pre-Mestizo populations of the Americas before Columbus.

My wife and I are both O+. The best map I've seen of ABO global patterns, shows Atlantic Europe as highly O type, so I question the perception of it being indigenous to pre-Mestizo populations of the Americas before Columbus.

What do you mean by that? Most native tribes of the Americas were likely 100 percent O positive.

Blood type O may offer some protection against COVID-19 infection, according to a Danish study. Among the COVID-19 positive, Barnkob et al. (2020) found that people with blood types A, B, or AB may be more likely to be infected with COVID-19 than people with type O, while they did not find any significant difference in rate of infection between A, B, and AB types.

advancesadv2020002657absf1.png

Abstract
Identification of risk factors for contracting and developing serious illness following infection with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) is of paramount interest. Here, we performed a retrospective cohort analysis of all Danish individuals tested for SARS-CoV-2 between 27 February 2020 and 30 July 2020, with a known ABO and RhD blood group, to determine the influence of common blood groups on virus susceptibility. Distribution of blood groups was compared with data from nontested individuals. Participants (29% of whom were male) included 473 654 individuals tested for SARS-CoV-2 using real-time polymerase chain reaction (7422 positive and 466 232 negative) and 2 204 742 nontested individuals, accounting for ∼38% of the total Danish population. Hospitalization and death from COVID-19, age, cardiovascular comorbidities, and job status were also collected for confirmed infected cases. ABO blood groups varied significantly between patients and the reference group, with only 38.41% (95% confidence interval [CI], 37.30-39.50) of the patients belonging to blood group O compared with 41.70% (95% CI, 41.60-41.80) in the controls, corresponding to a relative risk of 0.87 (95% CI, 0.83-0.91) for acquiring COVID-19. This study identifies ABO blood group as a risk factor for SARS-CoV-2 infection but not for hospitalization or death from COVID-19.

“Reduced prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 infection in ABO blood group O” by Mike Bogetofte Barnkob, Anton Pottegård, Henrik Støvring, Thure Mors Haunstrup, Keld Homburg, Rune Larsen, Morten Bagge Hansen, Kjell Titlestad, Bitten Aagaard, Bjarne Kuno Møller and Torben Barington, 14 October 2020, Blood Advances.
DOI: 10.1182/bloodadvances.2020002657

https://ashpublications.org/bloodad...ced-prevalence-of-SARS-CoV-2-infection-in-ABO

Last edited:
Another study examines a possibility that likelihood of transmission depends on blood type compatibility:
Several independent datasets suggest blood type A is over-represented and type O under24 represented among COVID-19 patients. Here, I model a scenario in which ABO transfusion incompatibility reduces the chance of a patient transmitting the virus to an incompatible recipient. Comparison of model outputs to published data on COVID-19 prevalence indicates that if this scenario holds true, ABO incompatibility may reduce virus transmissibility by 60% or more. Paradoxically, however, targeted vaccination of either high-susceptibility type A or “super spreader” type O individuals is less effective than random vaccination at blocking community spread of the virus. Instead, the key is to maintain blood type diversity amongst the remaining susceptible individuals. I stress that these results illustrate a theoretical model of ABO blood group interaction with virus transmission and require confirmation by observation.

https://www.rhesusnegative.net/staynegative/2020-07-13-20152637v2-full/

It suggests:

AB>A>B>O

This primarily depends on frequencies of blood types compatible to transmit easiest.

Last edited:
Blood type O may offer some protection against COVID-19 infection, according to a Danish study. Among the COVID-19 positive, Barnkob et al. (2020) found that people with blood types A, B, or AB may be more likely to be infected with COVID-19 than people with type O, while they did not find any significant difference in rate of infection between A, B, and AB types.

advancesadv2020002657absf1.png

Abstract
Identification of risk factors for contracting and developing serious illness following infection with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) is of paramount interest. Here, we performed a retrospective cohort analysis of all Danish individuals tested for SARS-CoV-2 between 27 February 2020 and 30 July 2020, with a known ABO and RhD blood group, to determine the influence of common blood groups on virus susceptibility. Distribution of blood groups was compared with data from nontested individuals. Participants (29% of whom were male) included 473 654 individuals tested for SARS-CoV-2 using real-time polymerase chain reaction (7422 positive and 466 232 negative) and 2 204 742 nontested individuals, accounting for ∼38% of the total Danish population. Hospitalization and death from COVID-19, age, cardiovascular comorbidities, and job status were also collected for confirmed infected cases. ABO blood groups varied significantly between patients and the reference group, with only 38.41% (95% confidence interval [CI], 37.30-39.50) of the patients belonging to blood group O compared with 41.70% (95% CI, 41.60-41.80) in the controls, corresponding to a relative risk of 0.87 (95% CI, 0.83-0.91) for acquiring COVID-19. This study identifies ABO blood group as a risk factor for SARS-CoV-2 infection but not for hospitalization or death from COVID-19.

“Reduced prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 infection in ABO blood group O” by Mike Bogetofte Barnkob, Anton Pottegård, Henrik Støvring, Thure Mors Haunstrup, Keld Homburg, Rune Larsen, Morten Bagge Hansen, Kjell Titlestad, Bitten Aagaard, Bjarne Kuno Møller and Torben Barington, 14 October 2020, Blood Advances.
DOI: 10.1182/bloodadvances.2020002657

https://ashpublications.org/bloodad...ced-prevalence-of-SARS-CoV-2-infection-in-ABO

There are always exceptions to the 'rule' my wife has had corona and has O+ and I 'escaped' the disease with A- ;)

There are always exceptions to the 'rule' my wife has had corona and has O+ and I 'escaped' the disease with A- ;)
Interesting. It is definitely harder for Rh negatives to catch. There are several studies out now all showing this in their results.

What do you mean by that? Most native tribes of the Americas were likely 100 percent O positive.
Inuits have a good amoung of blood type B.
And east asians have blood type B. Do siberian Natives have blood type B?

Yes, even cultures in Europe closer to Asia(Russia) have extra B type.

I think A must be more European, B more of Asia and O is the default(African)

My mother had an ischaemic stroke and her blood type was A. Non-O blood groups have increased plasma levels of VWF and coagulation factor VIII with the A1 subtype having the highest levels of both. Some comorbidities, such as hypertension, are associated with higher von Willebrand factor (VWF) levels. This 2022 study linked blood group A with higher genetic propensity for venous thrombosis or blood clots. Non-O blood groups have been associated with a variety of diseases, including arterial and venous thrombosis.

Contribution of Common Genetic Variants to Risk of Early-Onset Ischemic Stroke

Methods We performed a meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies of early-onset stroke (EOS), ages 18–59 years, using individual-level data or summary statistics in 16,730 cases and 599,237 nonstroke controls obtained across 48 different studies. We further compared effect sizes at associated loci between EOS and late-onset stroke (LOS) and compared polygenic risk scores (PRS) for venous thromboembolism (VTE) between EOS and LOS.

Results We observed genome-wide significant associations of EOS with 2 variants in ABO, a known stroke locus. These variants tag blood subgroups O1 and A1, and the effect sizes of both variants were significantly larger in EOS compared with LOS. The odds ratio (OR) for rs529565, tagging O1, was 0.88 (95% confidence interval [CI]: 0.85–0.91) in EOS vs 0.96 (95% CI: 0.92–1.00) in LOS, and the OR for rs635634, tagging A1, was 1.16 (1.11–1.21) for EOS vs 1.05 (0.99–1.11) in LOS; p-values for interaction = 0.001 and 0.005, respec tively. Using PRSs, we observed that greater genetic risk for VTE, another prothrombotic condition, was more strongly associated with EOS compared with LOS (p = 0.008).

Discussion The ABO locus, genetically predicted blood group A, and higher genetic propensity for venous thrombosis are more strongly associated with EOS than with LOS, supporting a stronger role of prothrombotic factors in EOS.

https://n.neurology.org/content/99/16/e1738.abstract

Inuits are descendants of a tribe 1,000 years ago migrating from Asia towards the Americas with blood type B present. Paleo-Eskimos having arrived around 5,000 years ago lack type B.

I am B+.

There is a study what each blood type should eat due to lectines in each food that negativity affect each blood group, for instance my group should eat, lamb, beef, wild game, turkey, cottage cheese, oats, and fish, while i should stay away from chicken, wheat, crabs, shellfish, and legumes.
Its a pastoral blood type.

A-s are basically farmers, and should eat mostly vegetarian diats with some meat, while O are hunters

I am B+.

There is a study what each blood type should eat due to lectines in each food that negativity affect each blood group, for instance my group should eat, lamb, beef, wild game, turkey, cottage cheese, oats, and fish, while i should stay away from chicken, wheat, crabs, shellfish, and legumes.
Its a pastoral blood type.

A-s are basically farmers, and should eat mostly vegetarian diats with some meat, while O are hunters

I am A- and crave fish and lean meats like Turkey. I know plenty of people who have blood type O negative and are dedicated vegans. When in doubt, the last thing I listen to is opinions of those trying to sell a diet plan instead of the signals my body gives me.

I am A- and crave fish and lean meats like Turkey. I know plenty of people who have blood type O negative and are dedicated vegans. When in doubt, the last thing I listen to is opinions of those trying to sell a diet plan instead of the signals my body gives me.

As an A, positive or negative dont matter here, you are supposed to crave fish and lean meats like poultry :D, A's are not vegan, they just have weaker stomach acid and need lighter food, thing is, this is just a base line you start of, because humans adapt, for instance, B was the first adopted to milk consumption, but today lots of people can absorb milk, because Bs brought the custom of drinking milk, and people adapted over time.

For me its true, i am a B and icecream f*cks me up, also tomatoes dont sit well on me, but when I eat lamb, eggs, liver or fresh cheese, I feel energetic. Greens also sit with me very well.
Its not just diet plan, lots of it is scientific, I as a B shouldn't eat chicken, but turkey is fine with me, because proteins in chicken bind on B antigens, and can lead to mental issues or stroke.
So its good to look it up, youst to find out what you need to avoid

This thread has been viewed 178721 times.

Back