Gothic and Gutnish

firstly you never read my post.......my opinion was below in the post. Secondly, the reference by you refers to strabo and not prior to roman historians, there was an age prior to Roman you know.
thirdly I can place modern books as i noted with the same linguid=stic theories in regard to High ( upper) german for the goths

another book, modern

AGAIN, this is not my opinion, but of linguistic people

At least the Manszack-table seems poorly conducted, Nordgren summarizes the results but he doesn't really embrace them, rather the opposite.

Gothic language is preserved,in the Bible of Wulfilla and also there are some texts preserved,from Old Gutnish.
Old Gutnish is very closed to Old Norse,Gothic is East Germanic,the names are closed,but the languages were not really mutually intelligible.
Here a sample of Old Gutnish:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Gutnish
There is a text preserved,from Old Gutnish:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutasaga
As for Gothic,is different.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_Bible
Getae were a Thraco-Dacian tribe so speakers of a Satem IE language,Geats were some kind of Norse people,so speakers of Old Gutnish,Goths were some East Germanic tribes,so speakers of East Germanic.
Speakers of Germanic languages are speakers of Centum languages,so what is the link with Thraco-Dacians?Only the fact that they were both Indo-Europeans.
As for that story of Jordanes,that tells that Goths came from South Sweden and are identical to Dacians,I do not think that part is actually true in that they were not identical to Dacians,not even by far.
Goths were allied with Dacians,but were not the same people.
Is possible that Goths might have started to migrate from South Sweden and as they were moving south their language shifted,becoming East Germanic,but how you can explain that I1 is not seen in the populations were Goths settled at so significant percentages?
Since in South Sweden most present paternal line is I1.
That Goths existed,that is clear,that they settled in Romania,Balkans,Italy,Spain that is also clear,but I doubt they were bearing mostly I1 on their paternal lines.So I doubt that they were actually Scandinavians.A thing that shows very clear the difference between them and Scandinavians is the fact they were not sea people,as Scandinavians were.
EDIT:
Yetos,you need more than a few resemblances of words to link two Germanic populations.
Now I remember another thing,look a little how Gothic leaders are named,Alaric,Ermenaric,Teodoric etc see that most of their leaders are named with a ric at the name ending.
While Old Norse leaders are having different names,a very clear characteristic being that they have the name composed from 2 words,usually:
Haraldr Hálfdanarson (known as Harald Fairhair) son of Halfdanr Svarti or Ívarr Ragnarsson (also known as Ivar the Boneless) etc.
Notice please,that the names of Old Norse leaders are ending in r preceded by another consonant,not in ric,as those of Gothic people.

EDIT:
Yetos,you need more than a few resemblances of words to link two Germanic populations.
Now I remember another thing,look a little how Gothic leaders are named,Alaric,Ermenaric,Teodoric etc see that most of their leaders are named with a ric at the name ending.
While Old Norse leaders are having different names,a very clear characteristic being that they have the name composed from 2 words,usually:
Haraldr Hálfdanarson (known as Harald Fairhair) son of Halfdanr Svarti or Ívarr Ragnarsson (also known as Ivar the Boneless) etc.
Notice please,that the names of Old Norse leaders are ending in r preceded by another consonant,not in ric,as those of Gothic people.

ric ending names are pommeranian and refer to as king or royal, so alaric , was king Ala,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Teodoric was King Teodo.

Norse use rik endings

ric ending names are pommeranian and refer to as king or royal, so alaric , was king Ala,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Teodoric was King Teodo.

Norse use rik endings

Well it seems I was wrong,Ermanaric was called in Gothic Aírmanareiks,Theodoric,that was his name,while Alaric was called Alareiks.
I do not saw any rik endings,at Old Norse names of kings,I just saw the r ending,preceded by a consonant.
But as you have said,not exactly right,reiks in Gothic means king (tribal ruler more exactly):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reiks
As for Old Norse,since I did not found Old Gutnish so easy,all words used for King are ending in r except thengill (used the instead the special Old Norse closed to this sound,since I can not type that).
The only word closed to Reiks is reik,which means kingdom in Old Norse.

Anyway,this word (reiks) is a Celtic borrowing and from what I know,Goths migrated through Slavic lands till the got in Dacia,after most accepted theory.
Or,this theory is actually wrong and Goths came from somewhere in Central Europe,to Dacia,where (in Central Europe) they should have had links with Celtic people.And this means that Goths actually do not have links with Scandinavians,but with other Germanic populations from Central Europe,like Austrians,Germans.
EDIT:
Here a fragment from a saga that was gathered by Snorri,see how they are calling Alaric:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaric_and_Eric
Fell Alrekr,
þar er Eiríkibróður vápnat bana urðu,ok hnakkmarsmeð höfuðfetlum Dags fríendrof drepask kváðu;frá-at maðr áðreykja greiði Freys afspringí folk hafa.
EDIT:
Now since this thread is about Gutnish (I think the author was referring to Old Guthnish) and Gothic,anyone got a link with the full text of Gutasaga?
For free normally.

Well it seems I was wrong,Ermanaric was called in Gothic Aírmanareiks,Theodoric,that was his name,while Alaric was called Alareiks.
I do not saw any rik endings,at Old Norse names of kings,I just saw the r ending,preceded by a consonant.
But as you have said,not exactly right,reiks in Gothic means king (tribal ruler more exactly):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reiks
As for Old Norse,since I did not found Old Gutnish so easy,all words used for King are ending in r except thengill (used the instead the special Old Norse closed to this sound,since I can not type that).
The only word closed to Reiks is reik,which means kingdom in Old Norse.

Anyway,this word (reiks) is a Celtic borrowing and from what I know,Goths migrated through Slavic lands till the got in Dacia,after most accepted theory.
Or,this theory is actually wrong and Goths came from somewhere in Central Europe,to Dacia,where (in Central Europe) they should have had links with Celtic people.And this means that Goths actually do not have links with Scandinavians,but with other Germanic populations from Central Europe,like Austrians,Germans.
EDIT:
Here a fragment from a saga that was gathered by Snorri,see how they are calling Alaric:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaric_and_Eric
Fell Alrekr,
þar er Eiríkibróður vápnat bana urðu,ok hnakkmarsmeð höfuðfetlum Dags fríendrof drepask kváðu;frá-at maðr áðreykja greiði Freys afspringí folk hafa.
EDIT:
Now since this thread is about Gutnish (I think the author was referring to Old Guthnish) and Gothic,anyone got a link with the full text of Gutasaga?
For free normally.

They speak gutnish in gothland .they do not speak gothic

Just another interpretation of what is said in Gutasaga that people from Gotaland migrated and settled in Russia:
is known that the Scandinavians that were in Russia,were Swedes and this is from where the name Rus came.
So I think those who established Russia were actually these Old Gutnish speakers.
If Geats (old Gutnish speakers) were same with Goths,why is not anything written about their fights with Roman Empire or with Huns,in Gutasaga?

This thread has been viewed 22593 times.

Back