Map of Celtic, Germanic and Iberian tribes before Roman expansion

Lukas

Reaction score
y3akpsjso6gz.jpg

it's a nice map
I'm a Menapi, and our neighbours, the Nervii, they were all slaughtered by Julius Caesar
the Belgae were not pure Celts, there were Celtic and Germanic tribes

I am an Arvern. Hello to you all, Celtic brothers !

Here is a 3D reconstruction of the Oppidum of Corent, near Clermont-Ferrand, close to where the battle of Gergovia took place, at which my grandad Vercingetorix defeated Caesar. (After that battle, though, the Bituriges refused to burn their food stores at Avaricum, as requested by Vercingetorix. Their town was taken, along with their grains, which gave Caesar's hungry soldiers the logistics to re-organize and eventually win his Gallic Wars).

Last edited:
Of men and horses... The explanations are in French, unfortunately.

@mlukas : Thanks for the map.

More on Gaulish archeology.

The last one, I promise. In French again, but the pictures speak for themselves...

It's not mine. I'm not so skilled manually:) I found it on some FB group. Now I want to find second part with eastern Europe...

this is rather late Halstatt/La Tene, pré-Gauls

Yes, the Treasure Tombs (Hochdorf, Vix, Lavau...) are dated roughly 550 - 500 BC, late Halstatt.

La Tène is the Gaulish Age par excellence. If you consider it pre-Gaulish, then there is no time window for Gauls proper to really exist: you jump straight from pre-Gaulish La Tène to the Gallo-Roman era.

Here at least the one of the most complete Iberian peninsula.

hispania7.gif

These maps are great, thanks guys.
Where does R1b -DF27 fit in here? I understand it to be Celtic/Iberian in origin.

Here at least the one of the most complete Iberian peninsula.

hispania7.gif

Interesting. Two questions:

1. The "Catalan" border with "France", why is it so South? In the OP map, the border is more to the north, which is also consistent with how the population evolved later
2. Is it known where the Carthago border finishes, between Cartago Nova (Cartagena) and Baria (Villaricos)? Águilas, maybe? It is strange, because at least in modern times, population between Villaricos and Cartagena is limited, so it is odd the border finishes there.

This thread has been viewed 11571 times.

Back