Genetic Origins of Minoans and Mycenaeans

the ch in kirche is not pronounced as kh but as ch, deeper in the throat. in swiss german you have chilchä, or chilä. so there is quite a lot missing from the original word an k is ch, r is l.

plz do not play kids games.

Yes but the proto form sound in Germanic is Kirk
compare Dutch Kerk

2 forms
Kirk in Germanic
but due to Latin alhabet has also the form Cirica ->Ciric-ha -> Chiric-ha ->Church
while in Dutch kept the K Kirica

the modern sound of C is after

Proto-Germanic sound of Kirch church etc is KIRIKO

so Κυριακον (του Κυριου, Lords place/house) enters protogermanic as Kiriko sound but as Cirico written in Latin alphabet and remains as Kirk Kerk to some, or Cirica ->Chiricha Chirihha etc to other dialects,

the K or C or Ch
It has to do mainly with timing era of each German dialect got the loan, their own writting, and the time they change to chistianity and by who,

an example simmilar to Kirche
Greeκ Ελλας Latin Grecia
from Latin Grecia enters Germanic languages
but
English Gree-c-e but Gree-k
Deutsch Grie-ch-enland (ch=kh=h ?)
Danish Grea-k-enland
Dutch Grie-k-enland

Notice the laryngeal aspirations (k g h γ kh) is probably after medieval languages.
compare Roman Latin Grecia (Grekia) with Italian Grecia (Gretsia), and you realize the change of C sound timing.

Last edited:
I did not realize that the Greek word was aggelos originally. The reconstructed original Armenian word I was talking about was not angegh but angel, from PIE *wel. I already linked this https://www.etymonline.com/word/angel, which states " from Greek angelos, literally "messenger, envoy, one that announces," in the New Testament "divine messenger," which is possibly related to angaros "mounted courier," both from an unknown Oriental word (Watkins compares Sanskrit ajira- "swift;" Klein suggests Semitic sources)."

You're right, the Gh in Armenian=L in Greek, but I believe that this must be a Classical or post-Classical phenomenon. Regardless, that sound change is exactly my point.

Personally, I don't know what you're so offended by. I'm not even sure what you're arguing at this point, I a) never said that I was right and b) also conceded that Demitros' suggestions were better.

The conversation was about pre-Classical Armenian and Greek connections.

No personal feelings,
just happened.

the word is older in Greek centuries before New testament.

the Armenian Angegh is connected with Greek agos Aγος and/or Αγιος (with psilosis), not with Aggelos
which cognates with Sansqrit agas Iranian Agaros and exists also in Mycenean names like Aga-memnon and is IE not Semitic, from h[SUB]2[/SUB]ago or Yeh[SUB]2[/SUB]g,

terminology
Aγος = curse, divine wrath, impiety, miasma
Αγιος = saint holly, divine (Holly Ghost = Aγιον Πνευμα = Spiritus Sanctus)

Agos Agios has nothing to do with Aggelos-angel

Angel- Aggelos is pure Greek word,
with IE roots, cognated with Germanic gale
Agos Agios,
Armenian Agegh, Sanskrit Agas, have connection, either as loans, either as PIE evolution.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ἅγιος#Ancient_Greek

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ἅζομαι#Ancient_Greek

Last edited:
No personal feelings,
just happened.

the word is older in Greek centuries before New testament.

the Armenian Angegh is connected with Greek agos Aγος and/or Αγιος (with psilosis), not with Aggelos
which cognates with Sansqrit agas Iranian Agaros and exists also in Mycenean names like Aga-memnon and is IE not Semitic, from h[SUB]2[/SUB]ago or Yeh[SUB]2[/SUB]g,

terminology
Aγος = curse, divine wrath, impiety, miasma
Αγιος = saint holly, divine (Holly Ghost = Aγιον Πνευμα = Spiritus Sanctus)

Agos Agios has nothing to do with Aggelos-angel

Angel- Aggelos is pure Greek word,
with IE roots, cognated with Germanic gale
Agos Agios,
Armenian Agegh, Sanskrit Agas, have connection, either as loans, either as PIE evolution.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ἅγιος#Ancient_Greek

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ἅζομαι#Ancient_Greek

Do you happen to have a source for Angel/Angegh=Agos?

The root of agos is PIE Hyeh₂ǵ- (to revere).

The root of Armenian angegh is PIE *wel (to see). Angel/Angegh meant "unseen" (i.e. "invisible") not "holy" or "to worship."

https://www.academia.edu/33109045/I...of_Indo-European_studies_2016_1-2_pp._129-146 (according to this article, the Greek analogy is "aides"--I don't know if this is correct though, as aides seems to come from PIE *weyd).

So I do not think that agos/agios are analogs with "angegh."

Angegh'tun/Angel'tun, the cult center of Angegh, was possibly the Ingalene of Greek sources. Presumably then, Armenian angel would be ingal in Greek.

Edit: note footnote 5 on page 137 in the article that I linked above. I'm not saying that it's correct or that I endorse it, but worth reading.

@tyuiopman
You write, "
Yes. It seems that the consensus is that the people who made the Alaca tombs were Indo-European but I know that some top Hittitologists (or at least Macqueen) doubted that they were created by an Anatolian IE culture such as the Hittites. I used to wonder if maybe they were pre-Mycenaean Greeks, but you (who are much more knowledgable about Greek history than I am) have compelling theories that the Greeks came from the north of Greece and not east (the builders of Alaca seem to have come from the Caucasus/Pontus). I wonder if they were Phrygians?
No, I haven't seen any genetic studies about the inhabitants.
".
My disapproval for a southern (Anatolian) route for proto-Greek, mainly has to do with the absence of steppe ancestry in all the Anatolian samples that have been tested till now, be it Chalcolithic or Bronze Age. The first time we see steppe ancestry in the Anatolian samples is during the Iron Age, namely too late. On the other hand though, i still keep the southern (Anatolian) route as a possibility. We just need more samples that relate regionally and chronologically in order to solidify our hypotheses in the end.

I do like Phrygians as an idea, truly. We would need genetics to back this up though since it also ties with the proto-Greek migration. Fortunately we do have the remains of five individuals from Alaca Höyük, but i don't think they have been genetically studied yet. If anyone fro
m the rest of the readers knows something more, please enlighten us. Here is a paper on them by the way, "A NOTE ON THE HUMAN SKELETONS IN THE ALACA HÖYÜK MUSEUM" (http://dergiler.ankara.edu.tr/dergiler/26/1004/12189.pdf). Haven't gone through the paper myself yet, only the first page.

You write, "
Zaluti seems Hurrian to me. I'd be interested in seeing a list of their kings/etymologies if you do stumble upon them again at some time.".
I will certainly do if i find it.

You write, "
Yes. They definitely (long) have influences from Greek, Iranian, and Armenian though. What I meant was, I wonder if they split off from the main body of PIE early, like Fournet/Bomhard suggest Hurro-Urartian did.".
No, i don't think this was the case for Proto-Kartvelian. I personally haven't come by any paper to suggest that.

You write, "
All very interesting. Thank you. What does "ἀγγελίη" mean?".
The word "ἀγγελίη" (angelíē) is simply the Epic and Ionic dialectological form of "ἀγγελία" (angelía), meaning "message/announcement/news". It was present in the Homeric Epics, which are generally accepted as composed around the late 8th or early 7th centuries BCE (certainly based on Bronze Age material that was transmitted orally). Here you can in fact see all the instances where this word appears in both the Iliad and the Odyssey, with a number of inflectional endings of course.

Iliad (18 times) - Press the "more" blue button on the upper right corner of the respective grey table.
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/searchresults?target=greek&inContent=true&q=a%29ggeli%2Fan+a%29ggeli%2Fhn+a%29ggeli%2Fa%3Ds+a%29ggeli%2Fa+a%29ggeli%2Fas+a%29ggeli%2Fais+a%29ggeliw%3Dn+%5Ba%29g%5Dgeli%2Fan+a%29ggeli%2Fh%7Cs+a%29ggeli%2Fai+a%29ggeli%2Fh%7C+a%29ggeli%2Fa%7C+a%29%5Bggeli%2Fais+a%29ggelia%2Fwn+a%29ggeli%2Fhs+a%29ggeli%2Fh+a%29ggeli%2Fwn+a%29ggeli%2Fa_&doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.01.0133&expand=yes

Odyssey (20 times) - Press the "more" blue button on the upper right corner of the respective grey table.
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/searchresults?target=greek&all_words=&all_words_expand=on&phrase=&any_words=a%29ggeli%2Fan+a%29ggeli%2Fhn+a%29ggeli%2Fa%3Ds+a%29ggeli%2Fa+a%29ggeli%2Fas+a%29ggeli%2Fais+a%29ggeliw%3Dn+%5Ba%29g%5Dgeli%2Fan+a%29ggeli%2Fh%7Cs+a%29ggeli%2Fai+a%29ggeli%2Fh%7C+a%29ggeli%2Fa%7C+a%29%5Bggeli%2Fais+a%29ggelia%2Fwn+a%29ggeli%2Fhs+a%29ggeli%2Fh+a%29ggeli%2Fwn+a%29ggeli%2Fa_&exclude_words=&documents=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.01.0135

Hence why i think it is simply common linguistic heritage in relation to the respective Persian word, and not a loanword from the Classical period. We also have Mycenaean Linear B "a-ke-ro" which is its cognate. Also, take note of Sanskrit "अजिरा" (a
jirā) meaning "agile/swift" (central ability of messengers), which also seems to be related.

My disapproval for a southern (Anatolian) route for proto-Greek, mainly has to do with the absence of steppe ancestry in all the Anatolian samples that have been tested till now, be it Chalcolithic or Bronze Age. The first time we see steppe ancestry in the Anatolian samples is during the Iron Age, namely too late. On the other hand though, i still keep the southern (Anatolian) route as a possibility. We just need more samples that relate regionally and chronologically in order to solidify our hypotheses in the end.

I do like Phrygians as an idea, truly. We would need genetics to back this up though since it also ties with the proto-Greek migration. Fortunately we do have the remains of five individuals from Alaca Höyük, but i don't think they have been genetically studied yet. If anyone from the rest of the readers knows something more, please enlighten us. Here is a paper on them by the way, "A NOTE ON THE HUMAN SKELETONS IN THE ALACA HÖYÜK MUSEUM" (http://dergiler.ankara.edu.tr/dergiler/26/1004/12189.pdf). Haven't gone through the paper myself yet, only the first page.

Yes. A Phrygian connection could make geographical sense too since Alaca Hoyuk is very close to the later site of Gordium.

I'd love to know what you think of this:

Other slightly later tombs with similar metalwork have been discovered at sites which are closer to the Black Sea coast than Alaca, ands it has been suggested that the Alaca tombs show the temporary expansion of a northern culture into central Anatolia. Excavations in the northern area are now revealing a good deal more about this northern culture, and ir can be seen that its metalwork is in many ways related to that found at Maikop and Tsarkaja in the basin of the Cuban, north of the Caucasus [...] But there is no sign of any spread of this kurgan culture further south into Anatolia, so it cannot be linked with the spread of Hittite, to say nothing of Palaic or Luwian. The language of the rulers who were buried in the Alaca tombs, although probably Indo-European, was almost certainly not proto-Hittite.

Macqueen, J. G. The Hittites, and Their Contemporaries in Asia Minor, revised and enlarged, Ancient Peoples and Places series, Thames and Hudson, 1996 ISBN 0-500-02108-2 p. 32

I'd love to know if those skeletons were tested. It seems that they are likely Steppic.

The word "ἀγγελίη" (angelíē) is simply the Epic and Ionic dialectological form of "ἀγγελία" (angelía), meaning "message/announcement/news". It was present in the Homeric Epics, which are generally accepted as composed around the late 8th or early 7th centuries BCE (certainly based on Bronze Age material that was transmitted orally). Here you can in fact see all the instances where this word appears in both the Iliad and the Odyssey, with a number of inflectional endings of course.

Iliad (18 times) - Press the "more" blue button on the upper right corner of the respective grey table.
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/searchresults?target=greek&inContent=true&q=a%29ggeli%2Fan+a%29ggeli%2Fhn+a%29ggeli%2Fa%3Ds+a%29ggeli%2Fa+a%29ggeli%2Fas+a%29ggeli%2Fais+a%29ggeliw%3Dn+%5Ba%29g%5Dgeli%2Fan+a%29ggeli%2Fh%7Cs+a%29ggeli%2Fai+a%29ggeli%2Fh%7C+a%29ggeli%2Fa%7C+a%29%5Bggeli%2Fais+a%29ggelia%2Fwn+a%29ggeli%2Fhs+a%29ggeli%2Fh+a%29ggeli%2Fwn+a%29ggeli%2Fa_&doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.01.0133&expand=yes

Odyssey (20 times) - Press the "more" blue button on the upper right corner of the respective grey table.
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/searchresults?target=greek&all_words=&all_words_expand=on&phrase=&any_words=a%29ggeli%2Fan+a%29ggeli%2Fhn+a%29ggeli%2Fa%3Ds+a%29ggeli%2Fa+a%29ggeli%2Fas+a%29ggeli%2Fais+a%29ggeliw%3Dn+%5Ba%29g%5Dgeli%2Fan+a%29ggeli%2Fh%7Cs+a%29ggeli%2Fai+a%29ggeli%2Fh%7C+a%29ggeli%2Fa%7C+a%29%5Bggeli%2Fais+a%29ggelia%2Fwn+a%29ggeli%2Fhs+a%29ggeli%2Fh+a%29ggeli%2Fwn+a%29ggeli%2Fa_&exclude_words=&documents=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.01.0135

Hence why i think it is simply common linguistic heritage in relation to the respective Persian word, and not a loanword from the Classical period. We also have Mycenaean Linear B "a-ke-ro" which is its cognate. Also, take note of Sanskrit "अजिरा" (ajirā) meaning "agile/swift" (central ability of messengers), which also seems to be related.

Makes sense. I feel that this happens a lot with Armenian too (which obviously has far less documentation than Greek), where a word is simply identified as being an Iranian loan. A good example is gerd/kert, which is something like "city"* (i.e. Tigranakert (city built by Tigran)--I believe the ancient Greeks rendered it as -certa). Anyway, it's identified as an Iranian loan, but the Urartians had a version of it (-qurda, as in Sarduriqurda), which likely pre-dates Iranian influence, or even presence, in the region. Also, this word exists in other IE language families such as Germanic (gard, garden) and Slavic (grad). Nobody suggests that the Germanic or Slavic are Iranian loans.

*I think it actually means "enclosure" more specifically

Another example is the Armenian-Greek name Yervant (Eruand)/Orontes, which supposedly comes from Iranian "Auurant". The Hittites had a name Aruwanda, which nobody suggests is an Iranian loan.

Do you happen to have a source for Angel/Angegh=Agos?

The root of agos is PIE Hyeh₂ǵ- (to revere).

The root of Armenian angegh is PIE *wel (to see). Angel/Angegh meant "unseen" (i.e. "invisible") not "holy" or "to worship."

https://www.academia.edu/33109045/I...of_Indo-European_studies_2016_1-2_pp._129-146 (according to this article, the Greek analogy is "aides"--I don't know if this is correct though, as aides seems to come from PIE *weyd).

So I do not think that agos/agios are analogs with "angegh."

Angegh'tun/Angel'tun, the cult center of Angegh, was possibly the Ingalene of Greek sources. Presumably then, Armenian angel would be ingal in Greek.

Edit: note footnote 5 on page 137 in the article that I linked above. I'm not saying that it's correct or that I endorse it, but worth reading.

the ternination of angel is well known before 470 BC by Simonides from Kea, dedication script to Leonidas tomp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simonides_of_Ceos

Ὦ ξεῖν', ἄγγειλον Λακεδαιμονίοις

Tell them in Lacedaimon, passer-by

the ternination of angel is well known before 470 BC by Simonides from Kea, dedication script to Leonidas tomp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simonides_of_Ceos

Ὦ ξεῖν', ἄγγειλον Λακεδαιμονίοις

Tell them in Lacedaimon, passer-by

Okay, but that doesn't answer my question regarding agos=Angegh.

And if it were a loan from Armenian (note: I'm NOT saying that it is a loan from Armenian) it would be during the 2nd millennium BCE, likely.

Okay, but that doesn't answer my question regarding agos=Angegh.

And if it were a loan from Armenian (note: I'm NOT saying that it is a loan from Armenian) it would be during the 2nd millennium BCE, likely.

there is no publication of connecting Agos and or Agios with Armenian Angegh, it is a fast thought of me, cause both have to do with a divine creature/spirit/deity.
BUT there is connection with Sansqrit Aga

BTW
If we are talking about Tork Angegh, then there is strange connection with Norwegian Thor, Tyr, and Aegir by some,

there is no publication of connecting Agos and or Agios with Armenian Angegh, it is a fast thought of me, cause both have to do with a divine creature/spirit/deity.
BUT there is connection with Sansqrit Aga

BTW
If we are talking about Tork Angegh, then there is strange connection with Norwegian Thor, Tyr, and Aegir by some,

Aga, possibly, but it seems to come from a different PIE root (*h₂egʰ-).

For Angegh (a separate deity from Tork Angegh), a connection has been made to Nergal and Tarhu.

Aga, possibly, but it seems to come from a different PIE root (*h₂egʰ-).

For Angegh (a separate deity from Tork Angegh), a connection has been made to Nergal and Tarhu.

Tarhunna and Illuyanka ?
the weather deities?

Tarhunna and Illuyanka ?
the weather deities?

Yes, Taru/Tarhu/Tahunna/Tarhunt, etc.

Illuyanka was a dragon. And I didn't say Illuyanka. But I do think that Illuyanka may come from the same PIE *wel root as gel/gegh. Wel also meant "to turn, to coil" and was used for snakes.

@tyuiopman
You write, "
Yes. A Phrygian connection could make geographical sense too since Alaca Hoyuk is very close to the later site of Gordium.I'd love to know what you think of this:
Other slightly later tombs with similar metalwork have been discovered at sites which are closer to the Black Sea coast than Alaca, ands it has been suggested that the Alaca tombs show the temporary expansion of a northern culture into central Anatolia. Excavations in the northern area are now revealing a good deal more about this northern culture, and ir can be seen that its metalwork is in many ways related to that found at Maikop and Tsarkaja in the basin of the Cuban, north of the Caucasus [...] But there is no sign of any spread of this kurgan culture further south into Anatolia, so it cannot be linked with the spread of Hittite, to say nothing of Palaic or Luwian. The language of the rulers who were buried in the Alaca tombs, although probably Indo-European, was almost certainly not proto-Hittite.
Macqueen, J. G. The Hittites, and Their Contemporaries in Asia Minor, revised and enlarged, Ancient Peoples and Places series, Thames and Hudson, 1996 ISBN 0-500-02108-2 p. 32
I'd love to know if those skeletons were tested. It seems that they are likely Steppic.".
I really liked this comment. Yeah, i do believe we should be contemplating the possibility of a southern route. It's just that we need genetics to back it up. Hopefully we will get a publication on the remains of the five individuals from Alaca Höyük sometime soon. I can't wait to study their results.

You write, "
Makes sense. I feel that this happens a lot with Armenian too (which obviously has far less documentation than Greek), where a word is simply identified as being an Iranian loan. A good example is gerd/kert, which is something like "city"* (i.e. Tigranakert (city built by Tigran)--I believe the ancient Greeks rendered it as -certa). Anyway, it's identified as an Iranian loan, but the Urartians had a version of it (-qurda, as in Sarduriqurda), which likely pre-dates Iranian influence, or even presence, in the region. Also, this word exists in other IE language families such as Germanic (the word "garden" comes from this root). Nobody suggests that the Germanic is an Iranian loan.
*I think it actually means "enclosure" more specifically
Another example is the Armenian name Yervant (Eruand), which supposedly comes from Iranian "Auurant". Orontes is the Greek version. Anyway, the Hittites had a name Aruwanda, which nobody suggests is an Iranian loan.".
Certainly. I have noticed that as well.

As for gerd/kert in relation to Greek, i cannot recall anything else other than some Greek people's names which include it. Can you give a couple of examples from Greek nouns that include this root? Probably they do exist, i just can't recall of any currently.

[FONT=&quot]I really liked this comment. Yeah, i do believe we should be contemplating the possibility of a southern route. It's just that we need genetics to back it up. Hopefully we will get a publication on the remains of the five individuals from Alaca Höyük sometime soon. I can't wait to study their results.[/FONT]

Thanks.

Maybe even if the Greeks and the Phrygians were originally one people but the Greeks went through the Balkans and Phrygians though the Caucasus? Maybe that's unreasonable or overly complicated.

[FONT=&quot]As for gerd/kert in relation to Greek, i cannot recall anything else other than some Greek people's names which include it. Can you give a couple of examples from Greek nouns that include this root? Probably they do exist, i just can't recall of any currently.[/FONT]

As for -certa, I guess I was a little bit unclear. It was from Greek renderings of Armenian names such as Tigranagert>Tigranocerta.* I don't know if it was used in Greek outside of such contexts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tigranocerta

Incidentally, the name Tigran is another one of those names which has been etymologized as being an Iranian loan into Armenian, but the name Tigra existed in the region prior to any known Iranian presence (such as Elamite Tigra, the name for the Tigris River).

@tyuiopman
You write, "
Maybe even if the Greeks and the Phrygians were originally one people but the Greeks went through the Balkans and Phrygians though the Caucasus? Maybe that's unreasonable or overly complicated.".
I don't think this is the case personally.

You write, "
As for -certa, I guess I was a little bit unclear. It was from Greek renderings of Armenian names such as Tigranagert>Tigranocerta.* I don't know if it was used in Greek outside of such contexts.
Incidentally, the name Tigran is another one of th
ose names which has been etymologized as being an Iranian loan into Armenian, but the name Tigra existed in the region prior to any known Iranian presence (such as Elamite Tigra, the name for the Tigris River).".
I see what you meant now. It's like the Greek words with "πόλις" (pólis) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polis). With examples such as Constantinopolis, Acropolis, Adrianopolis, Alexandroupolis, Tripolis, Persepolis, Sevastopolis, Stauropolis, Nicopolis, etc.. There is also the dialectological Epic/Homeric form of the word, namely "πτόλις" (ptólis). "Τιγρανόκερτα" (Tigranókerta) and other similar examples are simply renderings of foreign words.

As for gerd/kert in relation to Greek, i cannot recall anything else other than some Greek people's names which include it. Can you give a couple of examples from Greek nouns that include this root? Probably they do exist, i just can't recall of any currently.

Incidentally, the name Tigran is another one of those names which has been etymologized as being an Iranian loan into Armenian, but the name Tigra existed in the region prior to any known Iranian presence (such as Elamite Tigra, the name for the Tigris River).

A good example is gerd/kert, which is something like "city"* (i.e. Tigranakert (city built by Tigran)--I believe the ancient Greeks rendered it as -certa).

-kert;-gerd means "made, created" .See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazdegerd_I

The name Yazdegerd is a combination of the Old Iranianyazad yazata (divine being) and -karta (made) – "God-made", comparable to the Iranian Bagkart and Greek Theoktistos.[1] It is known in other languages as Yazdekert (Pahlavi); Yazd[e]gerd (New Persian); Yazdegerd, Izdegerd and Yazdeger (Syriac); Yazdkert (Armenian); Izdeger and Azger (in the Talmud); Yazdeijerd (Arabic), and Isdigerdes (Greek).[1]

From list of Avestan words:

kar(v. rt.) to do, to make, to create; to produce; cl. 5 (k126)

-kara(suffix) -working; -producing; -energetic (k127)

P.S .

http://languagehat.com/manzikert/

http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/armenia-iv

-kert;-gerd means "made, created" .See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazdegerd_I

The name Yazdegerd is a combination of the Old Iranianyazad yazata (divine being) and -karta (made) – "God-made", comparable to the Iranian Bagkart and Greek Theoktistos.[1] It is known in other languages as Yazdekert (Pahlavi); Yazd[e]gerd (New Persian); Yazdegerd, Izdegerd and Yazdeger (Syriac); Yazdkert (Armenian); Izdeger and Azger (in the Talmud); Yazdeijerd (Arabic), and Isdigerdes (Greek).[1]

From list of Avestan words:

kar(v. rt.) to do, to make, to create; to produce; cl. 5 (k126)

-kara(suffix) -working; -producing; -energetic (k127)

P.S .

http://languagehat.com/manzikert/

http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/armenia-iv

I'm aware of this, but I have trouble believing it considering that the city of Sarduriqurda was mentioned more than a century and a half prior to Iranian dominance in the region. If Armenian is genetically closest to Indo-Iranian as well as Greek, I'm not sure why Armenian wouldn't have native forms of words that had phonetically close Indo-Iranian counterparts. Additionally, most scholars now believe that Armenians were present in the region by the foundation of Urartu, if not before. Why would the Urartians adopt words from newcomers who were their enemies?

NOTE: I don't think anybody denies that Iranians have had a massive influence on Armenians, both linguistically and culturally (something like 4000 "Armenian" root word are actually Iranian), however, I do not believe that all Armenian word etymologized as loans from Iranian are actually loans from Iranian. I think some are native words that have been misidentified as Iranian loans. There are something like 90 Iranian languages, and Iranian languages have a 3000 year written record. There is one Armenian language with 1500 years of direct written record. It's easy to just explain things away as loans.

qbjvn0thx1041.png

KxDJLcQ

Minoans' affinity to modern populations.

qbjvn0thx1041.png

qbjvn0thx1041.png

KxDJLcQ

Minoans' affinity to modern populations.

qbjvn0thx1041.png

It peters out a bit by the time it gets to my area of Italy, but still pretty strong. Good. It's my favorite ancient culture. :)

Interesting how it's a bit darker around Marseilles than around Liguria. It's the effects of Greek colonization around Massalia, perhaps?

There's also a big difference between Cyprus and neighboring areas of the Levant and Turkey. For Turkey I always think the actual relatively recent actual "Turkic" ancestry screws up the similarities a bit.

Here's the samples I get. Not the best fits, but perhaps it is relative to others?

22. Mycenaean (1350 BC) ..... 14.52 - I9041 - (Click for more info)
Top 98% match vs all users

23. Mycenaean (1350 BC) ..... 14.54 - I9033 - (Click for more info)

26. Mycenaean (1350 BC) ..... 15.26 - I9006 - (Click for more info)

42. Mycenaean (1350 BC) ..... 16.93 - I9010 - (Click for more info)
Top 96% match vs all users

54. Minoan (2000 BC) ..... 18.77 - I9129 - (Click for more info)

69. Minoan (2000 BC) ..... 21.03 - I9005 - (Click for more info)

73. Minoan (2000 BC) ..... 21.92 - I0071 - (Click for more info)

This thread has been viewed 1158621 times.

Back