Dacian Language

I think there is a virb in Albania meaning warm or Hot like ziez or ziej
and in Greek ζεω zeo

Is 'ziej' and means 'boil'. 'warm' is 'i ngrohtë (adj)' and 'hot' is 'i nxehtë (adj)'

Is 'ziej' and means 'boil'. 'warm' is 'i ngrohtë (adj)' and 'hot' is 'i nxehtë (adj)'

as you see Armenian jerm Dacian Germ Greek therm Zeo, zemat- Albanian Ziej share a common root which connects at temperature and warming,

the exact meaning many times times change through time but similar remain

as you see Armenian jerm Dacian Germ Greek therm Zeo, zemat- Albanian Ziej share a common root which connects at temperature and warming,

the exact meaning many times times change through time but similar remain

I think this words connect through PIE and maybe Taranis can help us more with this, though i've always thought was or is a Turkish loan word.

Also Diurpaneus, can you provide us with a sort of vocabulary of Albanian and Romanian similar words cause the only word i know is 'copil'-'child/small kid' romanian and 'kopil'-'illegitimate child' albanian.

Last edited:
I think this words connect through PIE and maybe Taranis can help us more with this, though i've always thought was or is a Turkish loan word.

Also Diurpaneus, can you provide us with a sort of vocabulary of Albanian and Romanian similar words cause the only word i know is 'copil' romanian and 'kopil' albanian.

No it is not Turkish but IE compare ancient Goddes Estia in Kallas Zestia etc

Also Diurpaneus, can you provide us with a sort of vocabulary of Albanian and Romanian similar words cause the only word i know is 'copil'-'child/small kid' romanian and 'kopil'-'illegitimate child' albanian.

Romanian-Albanian

baltă - balt(ovin)ë= lake,puddle, swamp
buză - buzë= lips
boier - bujar= noble
brazdă - brazdë= furrow
brumă - brymë= frost
căciulă - kësulë= cap
căpuşă - këpushë= tick
cătun - katund= village
ceafă - qafë= neck
cioară - sorrë= crow
creier - kre(u)= brain
moş - (i) (mosh-ë)uar= old man
rază - rreze= ray of light
zână - zanë= fairy
viezure - vjedhull= badger
vatră - vatër= hearth

Read "ă" like Albanian "ë" .

There is much more Endri.

Romanian-Albanian

buză - buzë= lips
boier - bujar= noble
brazdă - brazdë= furrow
brumă - brymë= frost
căciulă - kësulë= cap
căpuşă - këpushë= tick
cătun - katund= village
ceafă - qafë= neck
cioară - sorrë= crow
creier - kre(u)= brain
zână - zanë= fairy
vatră - vatër= hearth

Yes, i did a bit of researche and found some, though some words, idk if on purpose or by mistake cause they don't know albanian very well had some letters shifted, also i noticed was that most of the Romanian /s/ has shifted into the albanian /sh/ and not /s/ in these common words.

Exp:
'scrum' (ashes)-'shkrumb' (burned to the ground) 'ashes' is 'hi' in albanian (and is not read as english HI!)
'sterp' (sterile)-'shtërp' (sterile)
'stăghiată' (storm)-'shtëngatë' (storm)

Though there are words like:

'şale' (hips)-'shalë' (thighs) and 'daş' (goat)-'dash' (goat)

PS: 'kre(u)' means (head/first but not like human head though that might have been it's first meaning but like "The head of the race"-"Kreu i garës" thus the verb 'kryesoj'-(take the) 'lead'). 'Brain' is 'Tru(ri)' (in brackets is the definite form of the noun)

PPS: Actually just 'moş' in albanian means 'age' (Exp: "My age is..."-"Mosha ime është..."), thus the words like 'moshatar' (same age) and 'i/e moshuar' (old people).

Romanian-Albanian

buză - buzë= lips
boier - bujar= noble
brazdă - brazdë= furrow
brumă - brymë= frost
căciulă - kësulë= cap
căpuşă - këpushë= tick
cătun - katund= village
ceafă - qafë= neck
cioară - sorrë= crow
creier - kre(u)= brain
zână - zanë= fairy
vatră - vatër= hearth

First 3 you can cross off the list. They have slavic etymology.
balta - all slavic bolto - same meaning
buza - slavic buzia, buza - same meaning, IE origin Latin - bucca
boier - bojar - root boj means war in all slavic, bojar means warrior. In feudal times only noble class were warriors, unlike peasants, hens the transition into noble class.

boier - bojar - root boj means war in all slavic, bojar means warrior. In feudal times only noble class were warriors, unlike peasants, hens the transition into noble class.

This word is actually quite interesting. While it usually is considered of Turkic etymology (compare modern Turkish "bol" - "abundant, plentiful"), but I remember that how-yes-no attempted to link it with the Celtic tribal name "Boii". The problem is that this in turn is derived from PIE *gwous (compare English "cow", Old Irish "bó"), and the *gw > *b is a Celtic development. To my knowledge, there is no native cognate in the Slavic languages, but if there was, it would be similar to Latvian 'govs'. In other words, the word must be a loanword either way. The Celtic name "Boii" is usually interpreted as "cattle owners", which would be weird (but not unconceivable) to be shifted to "noble". The question is, how likely is it that the Proto-Slavs had contact with Celts (especially the Boii), and where? In the end, I think that the Turkic etymology is the more likely one because the oldest form is recorded with an "l".

Also, since it seems i missed it, 'bujar' in albanian doesn't mean 'noble' or any thing related to it. It means 'generous' while 'noble' is 'fisnik'. Also i've always thought 'bujar' was a Turkish loan word...

This word is actually quite interesting. While it usually is considered of Turkic etymology (compare modern Turkish "bol" - "abundant, plentiful"), but I remember that how-yes-no attempted to link it with the Celtic tribal name "Boii". The problem is that this in turn is derived from PIE *gwous (compare English "cow", Old Irish "bó"), and the *gw > *b is a Celtic development. To my knowledge, there is no native cognate in the Slavic languages, but if there was, it would be similar to Latvian 'govs'. In other words, the word must be a loanword either way. The Celtic name "Boii" is usually interpreted as "cattle owners", which would be weird (but not unconceivable) to be shifted to "noble". The question is, how likely is it that the Proto-Slavs had contact with Celts (especially the Boii), and where? In the end, I think that the Turkic etymology is the more likely one because the oldest form is recorded with an "l".

maybe you should also add the Greek words Βους Βολος Βουκολος (Vous Volos Voukolos ) meaning ox, Bull, Breeder,
which probably existed at Thracians as similar sounds (suppose)

maybe you should also add the Greek words Βους Βολος Βουκολος (Vous Volos Voukolos ) meaning ox, Bull, Breeder,
which probably existed at Thracians as similar sounds (suppose)

Yes, this is correct. Though you should consider that it probably was something akin to *γϝους (gwous) in Mycenean Greek.

There are some Dacian/Thracian names who might be connected to "boier",
Towns:Buridava,Buricodava
Buris, Bourkentios(Thracian names)
Burebista(also Boirebista), a Dacian king.The proposed translation is"rich possessor"
bhuri(Sanskrit)= abundant, rich
vista(Old Iranian)=possessor
Buri- a Dacian Tribe
Albanian burre=man, husband
There are many words in Romanian borrowed from Slavic but who have much more meanings,and are used in many expressions too.
for example:
zori=dawn, light,kind of dance,to rush, to increase speed,to walk fast, to alert
from Slavic" Zorja"
Many animal and plant names contains "balta"
Trestia de balta=cane
Lupul baltii=pike(fish) etc

It is not Turkic word from Turkey. First Bulgarian records show "boila" for description of nobles in 10 century. Turks came to Turkey in 11 century.
It might make sense if Huns or Avars spoke turkic and introduced the term over slavs, as a ruling elite. But I'm not sure if they spoke turkic.
It is a possibility that Bulgars brought it to the Balkans. If they spoke Iranian the word could have been related to slavic anyway. If they were Turkic speakers then it is easy to conclude that it is turkic.
I'm sure that word "bojar, boyar" was popularized by Bulgarian Empire, and then by orthodox christianity spread over slavic countries. Title Car (Tzar) for rulers is a similar example of Bulgarian Empire influence.
Neither Car nor Bojar took hold in catholic-slavic nations.

The reason that I’m not too crazy about slavic origin forBojar is the ending “ar” Car is a shortform of latin Cezar, but why boila became boilar or boyar. Unless one was plural the other singular,though still doesn’t sound like slavic grammar.

It is not Turkic word from Turkey. First Bulgarian records show "boila" for description of nobles in 10 century. Turks came to Turkey in 11 century.
It might make sense if Huns or Avars spoke turkic and introduced the term over slavs, as a ruling elite. But I'm not sure if they spoke turkic.
It is a possibility that Bulgars brought it to the Balkans. If they spoke Iranian the word could have been related to slavic anyway. If they were Turkic speakers then it is easy to conclude that it is turkic.
I'm sure that word "bojar, boyar" was popularized by Bulgarian Empire, and then by orthodox christianity spread over slavic countries. Title Car (Tzar) for rulers is a similar example of Bulgarian Empire influence.
Neither Car nor Bojar took hold in catholic-slavic nations.

The reason that I’m not too crazy about slavic origin forBojar is the ending “ar” Car is a shortform of latin Cezar, but why boila became boilar or boyar. Unless one was plural the other singular,though still doesn’t sound like slavic grammar.

LeBrok, I carefully worded things as "Turkic" and not "Turkish", and merely gave the word from the modern-day Turkish language word as an example of a probable cognate.

No, no, it wasn't against you. Lot's of thinking out loud, and voicing a concern that if it was turkic it wasn't from Ottoman Empire occupation.

No, no, it wasn't against you. Lot's of thinking out loud, and voicing a concern that if it was turkic it wasn't from Ottoman Empire occupation.

I think you know that para-Turks came to Europe centuries before Turks in minor Asia
Oghurs Tatars are considered from same family of Turks

Well, the Turkic languages are all fairly similar to each other. The difference between Turkish and Uighur is maybe the same as between Spanish and Italian. The only real outlier is the Chuvash language.

Bumping an ancient topic, but I only joined here for the linguistic section
Arbanitan Konga konge means holy land in Albanian language
Where did you hear/read that? 'vend i shenjtë' is the correct translation, 'këngë'/'kanga' means 'song'
*karpa to cut, stone karpe, karma (*karp-m-) 'stone' (Albanian)
OK
Albanian Duch???? Duchani
'tym' is the word for 'smoke'
compare bucuresti with Albanian word Bukur both means beatiful
Alb. 'beautiful', Rom.'happy' if I checked it right
here is something amusing:I was glossing through some more Albanian and Romanian words, and I found a number of "false signals" that are actually words common to both languages, but clearly not of Dacian origin. :LOL:For example for "boot":Albanian "Çizme" - Romanian "Cizma" ("Çizme" in Turkish)Given additional Slavic borrowings (in addition to Turkish), we must eliminate a lot of words there, I assume.
It's the Balkan Sprachbund. Part of it are words of Turkish origin. All Balkan countries have the same words from Turkish, but the majority of them are not in use anymore, mostly because they're substituted by neologisms, or loans from other languages, or even words not used for a long time usually found written somewhere. Some of them have remained, because they couldn't be substituted.
Btw. idea of Cuman - Albanian connection I did see somewhere on net some time ago... I think it may be truth only partially, only regarding origin of tribal names, as Albanians seems to have very Balkan genetics..
bit.ly/2kIJjf :bored:

Bumping an ancient topic, but I only joined here for the linguistic sectionWhere did you hear/read that? 'vend i shenjtë' is the correct translation, 'këngë'/'kanga' means 'song'OK'tym' is the word for 'smoke'Alb.
Search how Arbanites named the monasteries. both in messologgi and in Suli is Κιουγκι wchich is simmilar with Dacian Konga except if you don't conside Arbanitew as Albanian linguistic group.

as you see Armenian jerm Dacian Germ Greek therm Zeo, zemat- Albanian Ziej share a common root which connects at temperature and warming,the exact meaning many times times change through time but similar remain
The word "ziej" can also be found inside another word which is "nxeht" which means "warm" with t same sound correspondance of "zi" (black) and "nxi" (turn black). The strange thing is the /h/ in the end.

This thread has been viewed 206830 times.

Back