Geno 2.0 GENO 2NEXT GENERATION results

A my friend is thinking that Jewish Diaspora on Next Geno has to do with Punic diaspora because Lebanese score 14% but afaik in Lebanon there was historically a Jewish population and Tunisia score 0% of it in these samples.

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/reference-populations-next-gen/
This what intrigues me, Tunisia score 0% Jewish Diaspora while I score 04% perhaps it is related to my high rates of arabian dna (19%) compared to Tunisian population .

Pax Augusta;478421]Geno 2.0 provided for Tuscans and Sardinians just as Geno 2.0 Next Generation, as I know.

You're right, even the first version only provided data for Tuscans. I just had some data from individual Northern Italian testees.

Pax Augusta: my friend is thinking that Jewish Diaspora on Next Geno has to do with Punic diaspora because Lebanese score 14% but afaik in Lebanon there was historically a Jewish population and Tunisia score 0% of it in these samples.

Yet the Poland, Russia, and Germany scores are among the highest, and they were never impacted by the Phoenicians and the Carthaginians, and those countries also had the largest Ashkenazi populations.

UK:2%
Tuscany: 2%
Greece: 2%
France: 3%
Czech: 4%
Iberia: 5%
Romania: 5%
Russia:5%
Germany: 5%
Poland: 6%

Hauteville:Basically all Europeans score some fraction of it.

Of the European countries for which data is provided, Scottish, Irish, Dutch, Danes and Norwegians don't show any. So, probably we could generalize and say it's not in the Scandinavian countries generally, or in most northwestern European countries, France being the exception, but also a hybrid of sorts.

@Tomenable

With such a severe bottleneck down to a few hundred people and thus even fewer women, mtDna lines (and yDna ones as well) were bound to be lost. Plus you'd have to do really refined and downstream sub-clade analyses, which to my knowledge haven't been done for the mtDna lines.

I did skim the Behar IBD paper and all I could find was 5% IBD sharing between Poles and Ashkenazim.

A my friend is thinking that Jewish Diaspora on Next Geno has to do with Punic diaspora because Lebanese score 14% but afaik in Lebanon there was historically a Jewish population and Tunisia score 0% of it in these samples.

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/reference-populations-next-gen/

IMHO Jewish Diaspora has to do properly with the Jewish. It's spread where there were Jewish communities, so it makes sense. Furthermore Punic diaspora could have some relations only with Iberia and Sardinia, but also in Iberia and Sardinia there were Jewish communities.

Sardinia:3%

I did skim the Behar IBD paper and all I could find was 5% IBD sharing between Poles and Ashkenazim.

Interesting.

This what intrigues me, Tunisia score 0% Jewish Diaspora while I score 04% perhaps it is related to my high rates of arabian dna (19%) compared to Tunisian population .
Are you full Tunisian?your results are a bit different from the average of the country.

Yeah for Europeans i mean eastern and south Euros. But it is interesting that Dutch doesn't score any of it because afaik it also had a large Jewish population in the past, especially around Amsterdam.

IMHO Jewish Diaspora has to do properly with the Jewish.
Yes I agree.

Are you full Tunisian?your results are a bit different from the average of the country.

I belong to the black Community in Tunisia but I know that my ancestors are mixed but i don't know exactly from where they came and what is their origins indeed I am in the beginning of my research on the genealogy of my family.

The Dutch Jewish population only began to grow in the 17th century, reaching about 150k just before the war; only 30k remained afterwards. It was mainly an urban population; mixture with non-jews was low, but did occur, but mostly since the late 19th century. Therefore I think most Dutch have no diaspora dna, and those who do have may have quite a lot, since this is a fairly recent admixture.

Yeah for Europeans i mean eastern and south Euros. But it is interesting that Dutch doesn't score any of it because afaik it also had a large Jewish population in the past, especially around Amsterdam.

True. Probably the Dutch sample comes from another part of the country or more likely the Jewish presence in the Netherlands is too recent. I don't know.

If these "Jewish Diaspora" numbers are real, they must include "Sephardic" genomes as well. I just checked all my Italian 23andme shares. Quite a few show .1%, but that's noise level. It's generally proposed that it has to reach at least .2 to be likely real.

Another interesting thing I discovered is that out of all my Italian shares, including Sicilians, Calabrians and Neapolitans mainly, with some Abruzzese, only one group of Calabrians from one particular area show elevated Ashkenazi, from .4 to 2%. Calabrians from another part of the province showed none.

The area with 1-2% happens to be the area chosen by academics for an autosomal analysis of Calabria. Going by what I see from 23andme, this area may not necessarily be representative of all Calabrians. This is why, in a country like Italy, it's important to get lots of samples from lots of different areas. There are too many little isolated areas with a lot of inbreeding which may skew results by a couple of percents.

Oh, also interestingly, the "Near Eastern" + "North African" in that area is quite low by 23andme parameters, with the "Near Eastern" Caucasus like numbers from 1.5% to 10% and the "North African" (Palestinian, Arabian, North Africa) numbers from .6 to 1.5%. The person with the lowest "Near Eastern" and "North African" numbers is the one who scores 2% Ashkenazi.

This also shows, once again, that a lot of these numbers for southern Italians supposedly from 23andme are just a fabrication or have been cherry picked.

At first I thought it might just be connected to Neolithic farmers or later movements from the Near East, and for some reason was being separated out, but then why are the numbers higher in countries which had large Ashkenazi populations and lower in southern European countries with more of that kind of ancestry? We also know from IBD analysis that there was gene flow between Eastern Europeans and the Ashkenazim, and anecdotally there are Poles at 23andme who claim to have discovered Ashkenazi ancestry. Iberia would be the exception, but there was a very large Sephardic population there for hundreds of years.
I have jewish diaspora (2%) myself (I'm northern italian). I haven't any known jewish ancestor, just like the thread opener. I think it's actually a neolithic input in most of Eurasia, with some more recent adding (from the early Middle Ages to contemporary age) in areas such as central Europe, Russia and Iberia, where it's pretty higher.
The lebanese population reference scores 13% jewish diaspora, if I recall correctly; I think it's not a "real" jewish input, but a common ancestry element with roots in the neolithic times.

I have just received my results of the test

mtDNA: U2e2a1

I have 1,0% Neanderthal dna

my Regional Ancestry:
-Southern europe 95%
-Scandinavian 4%

It was a surprise this part of Scandinavian, as far as I know I don't have any ancestor there. I read that my mtDNA is found mainly in Sweden-Denmark-Norgue-Germany, so I suppose it becomes from there.

Now I know I was a fool for not ask to my brother to do the test instead of me. I hope he can do it soon for know my Y-DNA too, and maybe for compare the regional ancestry's percentages, I mean, Is it possible that can be an error? I saw the results of other people and this 95% seems too high... but I don't know, I'm so new in this

By the way, my husband did the test too, he is:
Y-DNA: R-L21
mtDNA: H4a (not very common, as mine, thought)

-Southern europe: 86%
-Finland and Siberia: 4%
-Western and Central Europe: 4%
-Northern Africa: 2%
-Great Britain and Ireland: 2%

He has 1,1% Neanderthal

Last edited:
I am no expert on the matter but I would say that is much too different from the iberian population featured on their webpage, it could mean one thing that I truly believe to be true, that is the iberian peninsula is a place where genetics may be very different from a town to the next since many populations have stayed pretty much isolated from the rest of the peninsula. For instants, all my ancestors going back to the 1850's are from the exact same place furthest from each the maximum of less than 10 killometers, beyond the 1850's all my ancestors i have searched on record( church records with lots of details) are indeed from the same small area with only one exception that is 15 km away from the others.

Thank you for your answer suebiking. What you said is the same in my father's family, he searched in churches too back to the 1880's (more or less) and they was all from the same province. My mother's family is different, because we don't know much about it, but after this results I'll have to search! haha

I'm sorry but may I ask which area of Spain are you from, i myself am from the city of braga in northern portugal. In case you might think to ask me, I ask merely out of curiosity since you have scandinavian autosomals which is quite rare in studies. I have only seen trace frequencies in 23andme portuguese results of both scandinavian and the neighboring finnish.

Oh I forgot I checked and I saw in the eupedia site itself that your mt-dna lineage is found in germany and scandinavia.

I'm from Madrid. Yesterday I asked to my mother about that (and show her the results) and she told me that as far as she knows all of her family was from Madrid too, except one who was from a village wich is 20 km from Madrid. And yes, I suppose this 4% is because my mtDNA

All of my father's family are from Guadalajara, the province near Madrid at east

This thread has been viewed 23253 times.

Back