Magna Graecia

Language is not an appropriate barometer for genetic signature. That is a principle of modern genetics which it would behoove all newcomers to learn.

Look at the Etruscans and the Latins. They are very similar genetically and yet they speak wildly different languages. Or look at the Basques. Once again, you have people who are a mix of Anatolian farmer and steppe who don't speak an Indo-European language. Then there are Hungarians, who speak a language from Central Asia, the language of their conquerors, and yet there's virtually no Central Asian in them.

They too had built up a mythology based on their language, seeing themselves as descendants of the Magyars, and yet it was all disproven by dna. I don't see them crying about it, at least not here.

As for Francis Drake's implication that there were no Slavic speaking people in the far north, he's completely wrong. You don't need to do any heavy duty research in Journals to learn that. Heck, even a rudimentary knowledge of the tree of Indo-European languages would tell you that. The predecessor of the Slavic languages isn't called Balto-Slavic for nothing. Even a Wiki free of the usual tinkering would have told you that.

"The Novgorod Slavs, Slovenes or Ilmen Slavs (Russian: Ильменские слове́не, Il'menskiye slovene) were the northernmost tribe of the Early East Slavs, which inhabited the shores of Lake Ilmen and the basin of the rivers of Volkhov, Lovat, Msta, and the upper stream of the Mologa River in the 8th to 10th centuries. The Slovenes were native to the region around Novgorod.[1] There is a belief among researchers that Novgorod is one of the regions that are the original home / Urheimat of Russians and Slavic tribes.[2]Like all Eastern Slavs in Russian lands or in today's Russia the Ilmen Slavs had own characteristics. Ancestors of the Ilmen Slavs who settled in Finnic areas were coming from the Severians and the Polabian Slavs as evident by language and traditions (see old Novgorod dialect and Gostomysl for examples). They settled mostly Finnic areas in Northern Russia, moving along the major waterways, until they met the southward expansion of the Krivich in the modern-day Yaroslavl Oblast.[3] "

So, to reiterate, the authors of the paper on the Danubian Limes were NOT, repeat NOT saying that the urheimat of the Slavic peoples was on the shores of the Gulf of Finland. Slavic tribes did, however, move to those far northern areas. Nor did they say it was precisely those Slavic tribes which migrated south to settle in the Balkans. In the absence of a more proximate source which provided a reasonable fit, they chose people from those areas because they would be the most free of non-Slavic ancestry picked up en route to the Balkans. These papers have to be read carefully, including the Supplement. Of course one can disagree with their methodology or conclusions; I do it all the time. FIRST, however, you have to understand precisely what they're SAYING.

Now, people may well want to wait for a more proximate source in both space and time for the modeling of the impact of the "Slavs" or, more precisely perhaps, Slavic speakers, on the Balkans. That's fine. However, don't go making claims that the people they used to measure Slavic input are Finns. That's just blatantly false.

I really don't understand if the problem here is lack of understanding of the English language, or just lack of reading comprehension in general. Either way, if this material is too difficult for some people to understand, you'd think they'd have the self awareness to refrain from posting and demonstrating that to the whole world. Well, that was hyperbolic. :) Let's say they should have the self awareness to refrain from showing their inability to understand scientific papers to the entire internet pop gen community.

Russians were not even Slavic speaking but Turkic and Ugro- Finnic…so your points are not taken.
R1a and R1b are not original IE markers so get over it, that is the explanation for the Etruscans nothing else

Everything is so badly concocted in these papers you pointed that it even goes to elementary simplicity / idiocy. Do you understand that there is no change in the language of the Balkans with the arrival of these Balto-Finns, or should I draw it for you so that you understand the absurdity of your statements?
There is no emergence of a new language in the 5th or 6th or any other later period in the Balkans. You and the clappers hang on in the air with this topic connected to the ill-conceived lie about the “Slavicization” of the Balkans. Everyone leaves a trace behind and their presence, but not the Slavs. They are attested first on Danube, so what kind of Slavs are you talking about, coming from where?

R1 people imo could represent steppe like people that went to Italy, and didn't mix with copper age central Italians who had a WHG resurgence, like the ancestors of Etruscans and Latins.

Is this "R1" sample on G25? I can't find him anywhere.

Red sea ancestry is not a legitimate term, it means nothing. I don't see why Red sea ancestry is considered to be a source of anything, considering how deeply mixed a population form that place would be.

The same goes for Levantine. They are predominately, Anatolian_N, mixed with Iran_N, mixed with paleolithic Morroccan Hunter-gatherer dna. These ancestries can be found in Europe too, but at much different percentage distributions.

I have demonstrated in other threads that these places are not sources of genetic monolithic ancestry, like that of Anatolia, or Iran.

The pulse of CHG would be likely related to Anatolian/Iran_N admixed populations come out of Anatolia.

R850 clusters with Anatolia_IA.

It is not about being offended, it is about looking at the evidence and being accurate. I don't give a crap if I have some ancestors that could have come from the middle east in more recent times.

Furthermore, I will reassert the fact that the same CHG in southern Italians, also likely went to Albanians as well, as other southern Europeans.

Raveane et al. 2018 also shows a Anatolain_BA like signal in Albanians, so again, the reason why your Iron Age ancestors were like modern Southern Italians, is because of the CHG pulse that affected the Balkans, including Italy. As noted by Razib Khan.

1. Yeah, I know Albanians/Iron-Age Albanians had elevated CHG compared to basques for example, Balkans IA and Myceaneans were on a more eastern cline already compared to the rest of Europe. No disagreement with this fact.

2. It's not true Levant_N and Natufians are that similar to Anatolia_N, and R850 shows a lot of direct natufian. Natufian is not just Anatolian_N + Morrocan, it also had significantly more basal eurasian (Dzuduana ancestry).

1. Yeah, I know Albanians/Iron-Age Albanians had elevated CHG compared to basques for example, Balkans IA and Myceaneans were on a more eastern cline already compared to the rest of Europe. No disagreement with this fact.

2. It's not true Levant_N and Natufians are that similar to Anatolia_N, and R850 shows a lot of direct natufian. Natufian is not just Anatolian_N + Morrocan, it also had significantly more basal eurasian (Dzuduana ancestry).

Levant_N is not similar to Anatola_N, they have some overlap, but that where the similarity ends. This is elementary.

Also, there is no indication that R850 has "direct Natufian" in the study. That's just a false statement.

Please read the studies.

Also, a huge issue with this modeling is that you are taking samples from different eras, some of which overlap. It is not the way I would have done it.

Nevertheless,

Occam's Razor... How do you apply it to samples we do not even have for the South? Sorry to say it, but your argument to use Occam's razor with no evidence is somewhat odd to me. Especially when I have already confirmed to you there is more nuance to the scenario. Furthermore, the fact that you are using non-scientific terminology isn't making me feel confident about your assessment. No matter, we are all here to learn.

My model is fine:

Bulgarian Iron-Age (thracian reference), Rus sunghir medieval (slavic), Empuries I8215 (ancient greek without anatolian (plots between BGR_IA and Myceanean), Logkas (high affinity tumulus/Illyrian like reference, this always gets chosen over Croatia_IA for me), Rome_Imperial (roman cosmopolitan adxmiture).

What's your actual problem with the sources? You have to use different eras because well ukrainian-like people did not exist during Bulgaria Iron-Ages time. In Olaide 2021 they literally used Empuriote + Russian.

My model is fine:

Bulgarian Iron-Age (thracian reference), Rus sunghir medieval (slavic), Empuries I8215 (ancient greek without anatolian (plots between BGR_IA and Myceanean), Logkas (high affinity tumulus/Illyrian like reference, this always gets chosen over Croatia_IA for me), Rome_Imperial (roman cosmopolitan adxmiture).

What's your actual problem with the sources? You have to use different samples because well ukrainian-like people did not exist during Bulgaria Iron-Ages time. In Olaide 2021 they literally used Empuriote + Russian.

Look, you see to think Anatolia_N and Levant_N is one in the same, you are mistaken.

You can model yourself however you want. (literally...)

Natufian is not just Anatolian_N + Morrocan, it also had significantly more basal eurasian (Dzuduana ancestry).

The Lazaridis Pre-print shows they are 27% taforalt-like (Morroccan_HG), and the rest is Dzuduana. I don't understand the point you are making, but I think you are the one who is confused.

They choose these Slavs from Ingria because no other model could explain the genetic makeup of South Slavs and Balkans in general,Iron age and present day. However the Slav that was found in the Balkans was not Ingrian,so why we care about Ingria concerning the Balkans.This has more to do with mathematics than genetics.We will put little of this and that to have this, which is absurd otherwise is impossible.Very bad assumption because they did not and will probably never found Ingrian Slavs in Balkans.

The Lazaridis Pre-print shows they are 27% taforalt-like (Morroccan_HG), and the rest is Dzuduana. I don't understand the point you are making, but I think you are the one who is confused.

No.... that's not true. Natufians also have WHG ancestry in addittion to their Dzuduana and Nafri admix.

Levant_N is not similar to Anatola_N, they have some overlap, but that where the similarity ends. This is elementary.

Also, there is no indication that R850 has "direct Natufian" in the study. That's just a false statement.

Please read the studies.

In G25 he has 12% Natufian, here is the EG K13

R850_Lazio_Rome_Italy_Iron_Age,11.28,5.60,21.22,17.29,32.58,9.69,0.00,0.86,1.06,0.00,0.00,0.42,0.00

32.58 East Med,
9.69 red sea.

Come on now.

R1 people imo could represent steppe like people that went to Italy, and didn't mix with copper age central Italians who had a WHG resurgence, like the ancestors of Etruscans and Latins.

cVqlsOd.jpg

You can see in the graph, R1 has a noticeably less amount of WHG than the Latini and Etruscans. She is also in the position of modern day Veneto, to the "East".

Again, this shows there were indeed Slovenian_IA-like (Modern North Italian-like) people in Italy before the Romans. This person was also found by the Adriatic coast. Ergo, a model using these kind of people and Aegean_IA, should be sufficient in partly explaining the Italian-cline.

In short, R1 + Aegean_IA, would be similar to Slovenian_IA + Aegean_IA; which explains how people who are similar to Tuscans-South Italians, can exist on that space in the PCA between them.

You can model yourself however you want. (literally...)

What kind of statement is that? Lol

Again, if you have a valid critique of the model please forward it, and if you think I missed a source population feel free to tell me.

R850_Lazio_Rome_Italy_Iron_Age,11.28,5.60,21.22,17.29,32.58,9.69,0.00,0.86,1.06,0.00,0.00,0.42,0.00

32.58 East Med,
9.69 red sea.

Come on now.

Who cares? These aren't even legitimate components.

What kind of statement is that? Lol

Again, if you have a valid critique of the model please forward it, and if you think I missed a source population feel free to tell me.

Meaning it isn't necessarily accurate. Do you not get that?

32.58 East Med,
9.69 red sea.

Come on now.

Also I want to add, you can get passing qpadm runs by not using all ancestral components; if Levantine is not used as a left-pop and you get a passing model without it, it doesn't mean you don't have levantine.

cVqlsOd.jpg

You can see in the graph, R1 has a noticeably less amount of WHG than the Latini and Etruscans. She is also in the position of modern day Veneto, to the "East".

Again, this shows there were indeed Slovenian_IA-like (Modern North Italian-like) people in Italy before the Romans. This person was also found by the Adriatic coast. Ergo, a model using these kind of people and Aegean_IA, should be sufficient in partly explaining the Italian-cline.

In short, R1 + Aegean_IA, would be similar to Slovenian_IA + Aegean_IA; which explains how people who are similar to Tuscans-South Italians, can exist on that space in the PCA between them.

Bumping this post, so it isn't drowned out by these useless posts.

Also I want to add, you can get passing qpadm runs by not using all ancestral components; if Levantine is not used as a left-pop and you get a passing model without it, it doesn't mean you don't have levantine.

How do you even accurately measure it, with all of the examples of overlap I have stated?

Meaning it isn't necessarily accurate. Do you not get that?

What does that even mean? I know I'm not exactly 20.1% slavic and 5.6% ancient Greek colonist... its just a good approximation.

People post models all the time, if you think mine is especially bad id like to know why.

This thread has been viewed 31228 times.

Back