The British attitude towards Europe?

Do you want Britain out of the EU?

• Yes, go be American's lap dog!

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • No, we like you tea drinking freaks!

Votes: 18 69.2%

• Total voters
God save us all. :p
Personally I don't care either way, but I'm trying to see bigger/natural forces in action here. Usually these grand forces or trends are practically unstoppable, it is like fighting gravity. I would say that just from economic point of view (belonging to huge European market) and participating in European defence block, and monetary savings thanks to it, might be enough to force full participation of Britain in future.

It is interesting that the least engaged european countries are two former empires: Great Britain and Russia. Is the pride of former glory and power clouding judgment of people? Are the main goals of European Union so different than Britain's?

It is interesting that the least engaged european countries are two former empires: Great Britain and Russia. Is the pride of former glory and power clouding judgment of people?

Funny you should say that LeBrok because for a while I have thought about this. I think there is something in the make-up of many British that makes them feel happier with home made laws and law-makers rather than "outside" regulations.

Like Russia as you say, perhaps because both countries for so long were empires, it is a little harder for them to adjust to policies made outside their country. Not sure this applies across the board but in some to a degree.
I understand what Jackson says about general feeling over E.U. at the moment. I do think the present economic climate has much to do with this. If asked, it seems to often be a knee-jerk reaction at the moment to say.."No, better out than in".
However, the British people are not foolish and I`m pretty sure when it comes to voting, regardless what polls show, they will weigh up the pros and cons and vote to remain in the E.U. We may not like every directive that comes from E.U. but then what country is 100% happy with everything, we are not unique in this.
Personally I don`t think it would be in Britains interest to eliminate themselves from it.

What most people don't see is that someone is trying to pull a "divide and conquer" move here; and make money at the same time. Outside of europe, nobody likes a united europe. You don't kill the cow for just one day of not making milk...

Britain is always considered to be much more closer to the US than the EU especially by the continental powers like Germany and France. Maybe that's way EU is a global economic power but lack political unity.

http://irglobal.blogspot.com/

This thread has been viewed 108142 times.

Back