The_Lyonnist

Reaction score
Ethnic group
West European
Y-DNA haplogroup
I1>Z17954>BY63754
mtDNA haplogroup
H1e1a
I come from Lyon (center-east of France). Why my paternal lineage is I1 ? Vikings or Germanics ?

Hello there Lyonnist, welcome to Eupedia. Being I1 is a broad haplogroup that origionated from the Nordic Bronze Age before evolving into Germanic Tribes. The Germanic tribes that migrated to France was the Frankish Empire and the Norman Vikings. Were you given a YDNA subclade? Your Ydna Haplogroup only covers your Father's Father's..... line; like a surname.

Here are some useful links for reaserching your I1 direct ancestors to get you started. Wish you the best of luck on reaserching your ancient family history
http://www.eupedia.com/europe/neolithic_europe_map.shtml
http://www.eupedia.com/europe/benelux_france_dna_project.shtml
http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_I1_Y-DNA.shtml

I come from Lyon (center-east of France). Why my paternal lineage is I1 ? Vikings or Germanics ?

Welcome! What test did you use to determine that you are I1?

Perhaps it is nitpicking, but Vikings are Germanics. The Proto-Germanic peoples split into various groups including Vikings/Norse, Germans (Deutsch), Angles, Saxons, Visigoths, etc. All Germanic populations are a mix of I1, R1a, and R1b, but in different proportions. Modern-day Scandinavia has a stronger presence of I1 while English populations are more weighted toward R1b.

Also note that haplogroups cross cultural boundaries - for example, my own subclade of R1b is Celtic, not Germanic in origin. R1b and I1 in a broad sense predate modern and even medieval ethnicities - by the time modern-ish ethnic groups started to coalesce between 2 and 3 thousand years ago, there had already been some haplogroup mixing.

Hello there Lyonnist, welcome to Eupedia. Being I1 is a broad haplogroup that origionated from the Nordic Bronze Age before evolving into Germanic Tribes. The Germanic tribes that migrated to France was the Frankish Empire and the Norman Vikings. Were you given a YDNA subclade? Your Ydna Haplogroup only covers your Father's Father's..... line; like a surname....

It is more likely than not that your paternal ancestry is Germanic (i.e. as opposed to Roman, Gaulish, Greek, etc.), but knowing which Germanic tribe you come from is virtually impossible without additional data such as subclade data, STR data, and/or traditional paper genealogies. You could be descended from the Frankish conquerors who gave France its name, or you could be from the Burgundians, Normans, Visigoths, or perhaps even expatriated Anglo-Saxons.

I think that my ancestor is Burgundian, as the people who took Lyon, my city, as its capital. I think that my ancestor is Burgundian, as the people who took Lyon, my city, as its capital. So logically ... But I sent samples in the Genographic Project. I'll know soon.

301922I1Moi.gif

Attachments

• 301922I1Moi.jpg
    301922I1Moi.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 6967 times.

Back