Genetic Changes on the East European Plain from Stone Age to Bronze Age

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:
https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/7/4/eabd6535

Steppe men took some mates from farmer cultures, predominantly Globular Amphora, even if their own women came along. They moved to the northeast forming Corded Ware. I think we sort of new, but more data is good.

"Abstract

The transition from Stone to Bronze Age in Central and Western Europe was a period of major population movements originating from the Ponto-Caspian Steppe. Here, we report new genome-wide sequence data from 30 individuals north of this area, from the understudied western part of present-day Russia, including 3 Stone Age hunter-gatherers (10,800 to 4250 cal BCE) and 26 Bronze Age farmers from the Corded Ware complex Fatyanovo Culture (2900 to 2050 cal BCE). We show that Eastern hunter-gatherer ancestry was present in northwestern Russia already from around 10,000 BCE. Furthermore, we see a change in ancestry with the arrival of farming—Fatyanovo Culture individuals were genetically similar to other Corded Ware cultures, carrying a mixture of Steppe and European early farmer ancestry. Thus, they likely originate from a fast migration toward the northeast from somewhere near modern-day Ukraine—the closest area where these ancestries coexisted from around 3000 BCE.

Sounds like admixture around western Ukraine and then fast movement to northeastern Europe, to form Corded Ware farmers.

I'm not convinced by all their admixture analyses.

pbmOJjV.jpg

Wg9aE0h.jpg

I haven't read this paper yet.
But Sintashta carried 1/3 EEF admixture.
Question is where they admixed with farmers.
Some say upper Dnjepr area.
I think more in the northwest and they migrated east after admix.
Mittnik showed the earliest Baltic (Estonian?) Corded ware individual 5 ka had no EEF, only steppe.
But after that EEF increased in Corded Ware.
I'll read this paper when I have time. Seems interesting.

@iosif_lazaridis

I still remember a Monday morning in 2014 when I first told another human being that Corded Ware was 70% Yamnaya. I still can't believe that result, computed with the crappy outgroup set available at the time has held up so remarkably well as Fig. 4 from the new paper shows

alot of r1a :unsure:

Individual Site Archaeological culture Date BP Date cal BC Y hg

BER001 Berendeyevo Volosovo/Lyalovo 5487±40 4447–4259 Q1-L54

PES001 Peschanitsa Veretye 10728±59 10785–10626 R1a5-
YP1301
(under YP1272)

BOL001 Bolshnevo 3 Fatyanovo 4005±39 2829–2460 R1a-M417

BOL003 Bolshnevo 3 Fatyanovo 3956±34 2571–2345 R1a2-Z93

GOL001 Goluzinovo Fatyanovo 3968±32 2575–2349 R1a-M417

HAL001 Khaldeevo Fatyanovo 4037±32 2832–2473 R1a2-Z93

HAN002 Khanevo Fatyanovo 4083±33 2859–2495 R1a2-Z93

HAN004 Khanevo Fatyanovo 4036±37 2835–2471 R1a2-Z93

NAU001 Naumovskoye Fatyanovo 4047±35 2836–2573 R1a2-Z93

NAU002 Naumovskoye Fatyanovo 4036±40 2836–2469 R1a2-Z93

NIK002 Nikultsino Fatyanovo 4100±34 2865–2500 R1a-Z645

NIK003 Nikultsino Fatyanovo 3972±54 2522–2298 R1a-M417

NIK008A Nikultsino Fatyanovo 4039±33 2834–2472 R1a-Z645 (xZ283)

NIK008B Nikultsino Fatyanovo 4039±34 2834–2472 R1a-Z645 (xZ283)

TIM008 Timofeyevka Fatyanovo 4036±32 2832–2473 R1a-Z645

VOR003 Voronkovo Fatyanovo 3987±29 2573–2466 R1a-Z645

VOR005 Voronkovo Fatyanovo 4002±54 2840–2343 R1a-M417

The elephant in the room of this paper is the dramatic high level of WHG ancestry in the ukranian and westernmost russia populations. It seems PIE were overwhelmingly of WHG stock. Tough it would be important to understand what they mean by WHG.

The elephant in the room of this paper is the dramatic high level of WHG ancestry in the ukranian and westernmost russia populations. It seems PIE were overwhelmingly of WHG stock. Tough it would be important to understand what they mean by WHG.

It has nothing to do with Indo-Europeans, Estonians are an Uralic people.

I haven’t read the paper and the supplement yet but the blue seems to represent every HG except CHG: EHG, SHG, WHG and even the UHG in Anatolia Neolithic. Everyone was a HG before they began to farm so I don’t know how helpful that is in understanding the processes which went on in Europe.

I haven't read this paper yet.
But Sintashta carried 1/3 EEF admixture.
Question is where they admixed with farmers.
Some say upper Dnjepr area.
I think more in the northwest and they migrated east after admix.
Mittnik showed the earliest Baltic (Estonian?) Corded ware individual 5 ka had no EEF, only steppe.
But after that EEF increased in Corded Ware.
I'll read this paper when I have time. Seems interesting.

You have to look at Sintashta from another perspective, namely that of their cultural innovations, and I say the chances are low that some forest steppe, Northern Corded Ware groups developed that culture on their own, actually, I would even say forget about it. In my opinion they were running in circles and it will be proven that groups from the Carpathian sphere largely replaced local Corded Ware groups and influenced others. Like in other areas of Europe, the first wave Indoeuropeans were not necessarily the ones which stayed on top for too long in their respective region, but were replaced from the dynamic centres of the next developmental cycle. Sintashta came from a big, innovative group, which transformed most of Europe at that time, because the introduction of new metallurgial techniques, better horses and the chariot in particular, did change the West also and might have contributed to the downfall and collapse of the first states or proto-states in Northern Europe, that of Unetice.

"The analysis again shows that WeRuHG individuals are most similar to EHG, being made up of mostly the component maximized in WHG (blue) and considerable proportions of the components most frequent in modern Russian Far East and ancient Caucasus/Iran (orange and olive, respectively)"

so looks like WSHG has steppe components also.

"The analysis again shows that WeRuHG individuals are most similar to EHG, being made up of mostly the component maximized in WHG (blue) and considerable proportions of the components most frequent in modern Russian Far East and ancient Caucasus/Iran (orange and olive, respectively)"

so looks like WSHG has steppe components also.

In eastern Europe we have two kinds of EHG. The ones that lived in the northern part were more ANE than WHG ( EHG is a mix between ANE and WHG). The ones that lived in the pontic steppe and in the westernmost part of southern Russia were more WHG shifted. The latter were the EHG that became the PIE.
There is no "Unknown" HG in Anatolia. They were Villabruna like IMHO.

Can you explain that ? What do you mean by Ukrainian and westernmost Russia ?

At the autosomal level[1], in the Principal component analysis (PCA) the analyzed AHG individual turns out to be close to two later Anatolian populations, the Anatolian Aceramic Farmers (AAF) dating from 8300-7800 BCE, and the Anatolian Ceramic Farmers (ACF) dating from 7000-6000 BCE. These early Anatolian farmers later replaced the European hunter-gatherers populations in Europe to a large extent, ultimately becoming the main genetic contribution to current European populations, especially those of the Mediterranean. In addition, their position in this analysis is intermediate between Natufian farmers and Western hunter-gatherers (WHG). This last point is confirmed by the ADMIXTURE and qp-Adm analysis and confirms the presence of hunter-gatherers of both European and Near-Eastern origins in Central Anatolia in the late Pleistocene. Regarding their genetic proximity to the WHG, it has been proven that this proximity is greater with the so-called Villabruna cluster, which lived in Europe 14,000 years ago, and in particular with the individual known as Iron Gates HG, from the Balkans . The detailed study of these results suggests that this affinity is not due to a genetic flow from the AHG to the ancestors of the Villabruna cluster, but on the contrary: there was a genetic flow from the ancestors of the Villabruna cluster to the ancestors of the AHG.

Natufian were something like 50% CWE. Anatolian Hunter were likely 75% CWE.

In eastern Europe we have two kinds of EHG. The ones that lived in the northern part were more ANE than WHG ( EHG is a mix between ANE and WHG). The ones that lived in the pontic steppe and in the westernmost part of southern Russia were more WHG shifted. The latter were the EHG that became the PIE.
There is no "Unknown" HG in Anatolia. They were Villabruna like IMHO.

in some survey, they are described as halfway between WHG and Natufians - and close to Dzudzuana's - so they have Bassal Eurasian which lacks (I think) in WHG, even late Villabruna. To say they are Villabruna-like seems a bit exagerated, even if old lnks existed.

Sorry, Etrusco, I did not read your last post when I wrote Hastily my answer!

Can you explain that ? What do you mean by Ukrainian and westernmost Russia ?

I intend Ukrainian neolithic folks and russian hg that lived in the part of Russia that borders ukranian on the west Voronez/ Rostov oblast IIRC

The admixture for Western Russia HG are shown above in the graphic.

Dzudzuana makes more and more sense to me as the base to be used in these things.

The most relevant aspect of this paper is that another subculture of the CWC is absolutely r1a like all the others in the different regions of Europe. The desperate attempt by the guardians of Kurganist orthodoxy to try to link R1b-L51 to the CWC is going to turn out to be another big failure. No wonder considering that many people only have steppe in their brains.

Un saludo Etrusco, I hope all goes well in Lombardy.

This thread has been viewed 9434 times.

Back