life

1. Jovialis

Importance of Story-telling / How Your Brain Finds Meaning in Life Experiences

How we extrapolate meaning from stories is universal in humans across cultures, despite differences in language. Furthermore, story-telling, from books, movies, or conversation can shape the lives of children in their formative years. Through this, we form meaning in life. This is why it is...
  2. LeBrok

Getting older gracefully.

Now, this is a very exciting discovery, and if successfully implemented in people, it will extend human life and let us live healthier much longer. Everybody can be a centenarian one day. Convincing cells to die can make us stronger. The majority of our cells die noble deaths; they cease to...
  3. LeBrok

If you had to live like a hunter-gatherer what lifestyle and location would you pick?

Would you be hunter-gatherer of the steppe, riding horses and eating horse meat, or further in time being steppe mammoth hunter, living in mammoth tusk tents? Would you be rather hunter gatherer of North Europe hunting deer in moderate climate forest, with your friend domesticated wolf "first...
  4. 2

Why Human

As philosophers, historians, and wise old men and women would have us know, people are born with certain things about them that make them "human". Yes, of course, we all have the genetic build that is standard for us to biologically be human and not bird or bug. What I mean when I say they...
  5. LeBrok

How long humankind will survive?

Did we crossed a threshold in intelligence development, which will let us develop any technology and produce enough food in any conditions to survive any catastrophe, like new Ice Age or Global Warming, or giant meteorite strike? Will our dark side of violence, hatred and destruction bring...
  6. LeBrok

Beliefs Explained

I gave the beliefs a little bit more thought and I think I have the answer. The answer actually turned to be more prosaic than I expected, but regardless, here it is. Beliefs fall into same category of human condition, as Feelings and Trust. To help us make decisions in our lives according to...
  7. Maciamo

You know you've been in Spain too long when...

After posting similar threads about Belgium, France, Italy, Germany, and Japan, I am completing the series of non-English-speaking countries in which I have lived. I am planning to do Britain later. Feel free to comment and add more lines about culture shock in Spain. :satisfied: You know...
  8. LeBrok

Inglorious lives of our ancestors.

Every so often I noticed that people love to exaggerate quality of life of our ancestors. Old times are romanticized and we only concentrate on glorious battles, and famous individuals. There is not much help from TV and books either, emphasizing only what people love to watch or read, and not...
Back