copper age

1. Archetype0ne

Ancient Native Americans were among the world’s first coppersmiths

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/03/ancient-native-americans-were-among-world-s-first-coppersmiths "Now, a team led by Pompeani presents new evidence for the revised timeline. The researchers used modern methods to reanalyze 53 radiocarbon dates—including eight newly collected...
  2. 6

Evidence of copper casting on precolumbian North America

https://docdro.id/SQ5B74V "One of the surprises was the discovery of gas bubbles in a copper spear head/point from the Osceola site. This porosity was identical casting bubbles found in some of OMC's cast aluminum engine blocks." "Unlike other copper points, which show a hammer-only mode of...
  3. Jovialis

The Iceman’s lithic toolkit: Raw material, technology, typology and use

The Iceman’s lithic toolkit: Raw material, technology, typology and use Abstract The Tyrolean Iceman, a 5,300-year-old glacier mummy recovered at the Tisenjoch (South Tyrol, Italy) together with his clothes and personal equipment, represents a unique opportunity for prehistoric research. The...
  4. Jovialis

Denmark: 'Spider Stones' of Neolithic Sun-Worshipers

Strangely marked stones and other artifacts unearthed on the island of Bornholm in Denmark have raised new mysteries about a Neolithic sun-worshipping religion centered there about 5,000 years ago. The new finds include "spider stones," inscribed with pattern like a spider's web, and a piece of...
  5. Maciamo

Revised and improved prehistoric migration maps

I have updated, corrected and improved most of the Neolithic and Bronze Age migrations maps. This includes adding new cultures, including minor ones, refining the boundaries, reworking the colours, and updating the haplogroup estimations for each culture. I have also split the map for the period...
  6. Maciamo

Dodecad & Eurogenes admixture of Late Copper & Early Bronze Age genomes

The Copper Age was a period of transition between Neolithic societies and the Indo-European migrations. Although the Chalcolithic started in Neolithic Southeast Europe and Anatolia, it quickly spread to the Pontic-Caspian Steppe, from where PIE Steppe people expanded cross most of Europe and...
  7. Maciamo

Spanish Chalcolithic mtDNA provides more evidence that Bell Beakers were non-IE

Here is a new paper by Daniel Gómez-Sánchez and co-workers. They tested 19 mitochondrial sequences from the Burgos region in Castile and León, northern Spain, all dating from the late Copper Age (2050 to 2500 BCE). The authors note the heterogeneity of mt-haplogroups compared to other...
  8. Maciamo

Copper & Bronze Age Steppe people (PIE) had mixed light and dark pigmentation

A very interesting new paper by Wilde et al. 2014 tested three genes (HERC2, SLC45A2 and TYR) associated with skin, eye and hair pigmentation in 63 ancient samples from the Pontic-Caspian Steppe (mostly modern Ukraine) dating from the Chalcolithic and Bronze Age. The results are relatively...
  9. Maciamo

Bell Beakers were a multicultural phenomenon & trade network, not an ethnic culture

Bell Beakers were a multicultural phenomenon & trade network, not an ethnic culture I have noticed that Jean Manco mentioned in her new book Ancestral Journeys that the Bell Beaker culture represents the arrival of R1b people into Western Europe. I have explained before why it is extremely...
  10. Maciamo

Who destroyed the Uruk culture circa 3100 BCE ?

The Sumerian civilization in southern Mesopotamia arose circa 4500 BCE with the foundation of Eridu, the world's first city. Enigmatic speakers of a language isolate, the Sumerians played a leading role in the development of Near Eastern civilizations. They developed the first city-states...
  11. Maciamo

Why R1b couldn't have been spread around Western Europe by the Bell Beaker people

Introduction One of the hottest controversies of the last few years in European prehistory and population genetics has been the origins and dispersal of haplogroup R1b. As recently as 2008 almost everybody thought that R1b had been in Western Europe since the Palaeolithic and re-expanded from...
  12. Maciamo

Two major new papers on Early Neolithic to Early Bronze Age mtDNA in Central Europe

Brandt et al. analysed 364 ancient mtDNA samples from the Early Neolithic (Linear Pottery culture) to the Early Bronze Age (Unetice culture), mostly around Germany, Bohemia and Poland. I believe that this is the largest study on ancient mtDNA to date. Although the article is behind a paywall...
  13. Maciamo

New map of the diffusion of the Copper Age in Europe

I have created a new map showing the approximate spread of the Chalcolithic (Copper Age) from the Middle East and the Balkano-Carpathians to the rest of Europe. Please let me know if you find any inconsistency (provide supporting data). The oldest evidence of copper metallurgy is from the...
Back