english

1. V

Is my Grandfathers Haplogroup Norse Viking or Jutish/Anglish/Saxon?

My grandfathers ydna was I-FT258149, and his paternal line is originally from West Yorkshire, and parts of Northern Nottinghamshire (East Midlands). This haplogroup belongs to I-M253>I-DF29>I-Y2592>I-CTS6364>I-S4795>I-FGC20030>I-FT3275>I-A5338>I-A5339. So just based on how it is classified, it...
  2. Maciamo

Common English, French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese words of Arabic origin

Wikipedia has list of words of Arabic origin by language. But these lists are typically long and include plenty of rare and arcane words, or words that are specific to Arabic culture or to Islam. Other words came from Persian (e.g. assassin, aubergine, candy, caravan, cheque, chess, lemon, lime...
  3. Maciamo

Spanish words that acquired an a- at the beginning (unlike other Romance languages)

One striking characteristic of Spanish language is the number of words that start with 'a'. Many among those are Arabic loan words (adobe, ajedrez, alcade, aldea, alquiler), including words that are an amalgamation of the Arabic preposition al (the) + the word itself (e.g. albahaca, alcázar...
  4. Y

A "southward" shift of English genetics between the LBA and the Modern Era???

A "southward" shift of English genetics between the LBA and the Modern Era??? I have been running some tests and analysis using the G25 samples, and I have noticed a very intriguing thing as I plotted English averaged population samples on a North European PCA. See for yourselves in this image...
  5. Maciamo

French inconsistencies with pronunciation of English loanwords

There are hundreds of English loanwords in French, like in most languages. The Académie française tried to create new French words like courriel for email to keep the language pure from yet another Germanic invasions (forgetting that French was originally the language of the Franks and possess...
  6. D

What do you love and hate most about learning English? What is the best way to learn?

Hi guys, My name is David and I am a native English speaker. I study linguistics at university and my dream is to create a world where anybody who wants to learn English has efficient and practical learning resources readily available to them. I was wondering to myself lately about how a...
  7. Maciamo

When double consonants don't match in English and in French

One of the most painful aspects of learning to spell correctly when learning a French or English is to know when to use double consonants. This is all the more irritating when learning both languages, because for unknown reasons French and English linguists have decided to use practically the...
  8. Woden

Germanic/ Celtic ancestry of the English

Greetings Maciamo and other forum members! Thanks Maciamo, I enjoy your website about European haplogroups and I look back for updates. I would be grateful if you could fill us in on what we presently know about the ancient origins of the English. Which haplos are associated with which...
Back