minoans

1. C

Earliest inhabitants of Greece

I often read on the internet that the Carians were the earliest inhabitants of the Cyclades islands in Greece, before the Minoans. But it seems to me, that this is a matter of discussion. Do we have any more information about that and whether it is true or not? This topic has become interesting...
  2. Jovialis

Possible Minoan Throne Room Unearthed in Crete

ATHENS, GREECE—According to the Greek Reporter, recent excavation of the first floor of the so-called Zominthos palace, a large, two-story Minoan structure situated on a plateau near Crete’s Mount Ida, has uncovered a possible storage room and a list of what might have been stored there; a...
  3. Jovialis

Elite Minoan Burials Unearthed in Crete

CRETE, GREECE—Tornos News reports that several graves dated to the Minoan period were unearthed in Petras, an ancient cemetery in northeastern Crete where elites who may have lived in a nearby palace were buried. Archaeologist Metaxia Tsipopoulou said the first grave, dated to between 2100 and...
  4. Jovialis

3,500-Year-Old Tomb Discovered in Crete

CRETE, GREECE—A farmer on the island of Crete discovered a carved tombstone dated to the Late Minoan period when his vehicle got stuck in the mud under an olive tree, according to The Greek Reporter. Archaeologists and archaeology students were called to the scene, where they unearthed an...
  5. A

Hey could someone help me with that its for a school project

So I know that Ancient greek haplogroups were J2 from Minoans and Cyclades and R1b from indoeuropean dorians . Did ancient greeks have big ammounts of other haplogroups too ? Do modern greeks have the same haplogroups ? Whats the difference between ancient and modern greeks ? And if Minoans and...
  6. Maciamo

37 mtDNA sequences from Minoan Crete

Just released: A European population in Minoan Bronze Age Crete, by Hughey et al. Abstract The first advanced Bronze Age civilization of Europe was established by the Minoans about 5,000 years before present. Since Sir Arthur Evans exposed the Minoan civic centre of Knossos, archaeologists...
Back