megaliths

1. Maciamo

New map of the Megalithic cultures

Here is a map of the Megalithic cultures in Europe and North Africa, with the main sites highlighted. There are lots of maps on the web, but none that I found satisfactory as they didn't carefully list all the areas with megaliths. The oldest sites are dated to c. 6000 BCE in central Portugal...
  2. Maciamo

Incest in dynastic elite in Megalithic Newgrange

Nature: Incest uncovered at the elite prehistoric Newgrange monument in Ireland "The huge, elaborate, 5,000-year-old tomb at Newgrange, Ireland, is thought to have been built for a powerful elite. DNA of a man buried there reveals a case of incest. Was this a strategy to maintain a dynastic...
  3. Angela

Did megaliths first arise in northwestern France?

See: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/02/stonehenge-other-ancient-rock-structures-may-trace-their-origins-monuments "A new study suggests these megaliths weren’t created independently but instead can be traced back to a single hunter-gatherer culture that started nearly 7000 years ago in...
  4. L

The Atlantic Megalith cultures were R1b.

The Atlantic Megalith cultures were R1b. (Revised) I've read before on this website of how the Atlantic Megalithic cultures of Europe were of the Caucasian Y-haplogroup G2a. This is ridiculous. This haplogroup has a minor presence in Iberia and a tiny presence in Britannia in modern day. The...
  5. J

Pictish matrilineality, mtDNA, and the megalithic substrate of the language

Firstly, this is such a crossover post I'm not sure this is where it belongs — this is my first post here. I've been wondering about the Picts today in an ongoing curiosity around surviving Celtic languages and their level of antiquity or connection to the early continental Celtic languages. I...
  6. Maciamo

Southern Neolithic route brought Megaliths from the Levant to Western Europe

I have hypothesised for several years that the wave of Neolithic farmers who came from the southern Levant through North Africa brought a quite different set of haplogroups and autosomal admixture than the Anatolian farmers that colonised the Balkans and Central Europe. There is ample...
  7. Maciamo

I2a2a (M223) found in Megalithic Spain

All the attention about the new Haak et al. 2015 paper has been concentrated on the Yamna R1b. Nobody cared to notice another important discovery, the first ancient I2a2a1 (M223>CTS9183+) sample. They didn't test for M284 though, but L1195 was negative. So far all the Mesolithic and Neolithic...
  8. Maciamo

Bell Beakers were a multicultural phenomenon & trade network, not an ethnic culture

Bell Beakers were a multicultural phenomenon & trade network, not an ethnic culture I have noticed that Jean Manco mentioned in her new book Ancestral Journeys that the Bell Beaker culture represents the arrival of R1b people into Western Europe. I have explained before why it is extremely...
  9. Maciamo

Facial reconstruction of 5,500-year old 'Stonehenge man' may be wrong

Stonehenge, Europe's most famous Megalithic monument, has been endowed with a brand new visitor centre at the cost of £27 million, due to be inaugurated today. One of the prime attractions is the facial reconstruction of a 5,500-year old 'Stonehenge man' (pictured below). The reconstruction is...
Back