greece

1. Maciamo

Economy Is Greece's failed economy about to change?

The Greek economy has been the butt of jokes for over 15 years now. This video explains why it failed so spectacularly in the aftermath of the 2008 financial crisis, and why it has had such a hard time recovering from it. But the new government has a plan for reforms. Let's see if deeds follow...
  2. K

Greek Gedmatch kits(Post yours too!)

A436581 - Macedonian Greek A128684 - Μacedonian Greek M937243 - Macedonian Greek A987490 - Macedonian Greek H177149 - Macedonian Greek A813004 - Macedonian Greke A952122 - Macedonian GreeK A464069 - Μacedonian Greek A579573 - Μacedonian Greek H285783 - Macedonian Greek M284497 - Macedonian...
  3. C

Earliest inhabitants of Greece

I often read on the internet that the Carians were the earliest inhabitants of the Cyclades islands in Greece, before the Minoans. But it seems to me, that this is a matter of discussion. Do we have any more information about that and whether it is true or not? This topic has become interesting...
  4. Anfänger

Admixture history and endogamy in the prehistoric Aegean

Ancient DNA reveals admixture history and endogamy in the prehistoric Aegean Abstract The Neolithic and Bronze Ages were highly transformative periods for the genetic history of Europe but for the Aegean—a region fundamental to Europe’s prehistory—the biological dimensions of cultural...
  5. Archetype0ne

Ancient DNA, admx. history and endogamy in the prehistoricAegean Skourtaniotietal2022

https://www.ebi.ac.uk/ena/browser/view/PRJEB56216
  6. M

'Inbreeding' in Greek ancestors?

There's a new massive study on Prehistoric Europe and Anatolian samples, I'll comment on it later in other thread. https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(22)00455-X?_returnURL=https%3A%2F%2Flinkinghub.elsevier.com%2Fretrieve%2Fpii%2FS009286742200455X%3Fshowall%3Dtrue But the first thing...
  7. Anfänger

Homer in the Bronze Age? New evidence from Mycenaean Greece

Mycenaean-era tablet opens new avenues for studying Homer and Greek Classics. A newly discovered Linear B tablet from the Peloponnesian site of Agios Vasileios (Sparti) constitutes the “smoking-gun” of the fact that Homeric poetry was known (and written!) in the second millennium BCE...
  8. EV13SON

Religion Zalmoxis Getae Dacian Thracian Religion

This video explains Zalmoxis and it's influence on Greek thinkers, not sure if true or bias...you decide...
  9. L

Greek from Elis (Western Peloponnese) Gedmatch results

Myheritage kit. What do you think about her results? Supposedly her village (right on the borders with Arcadia) is an old mix of Arcadian migrants from the vicinity of modern day municipality of Gortynia and local people from Elis. Eurogenes K13...
  10. J

Two G25 Results: Greek-Cypriot and Lebanese

Hi all, My mother is Greek-Cypriot and my father is Lebanese. They have both tested with MyHeritage, had transferred my father's results to FTDNA, and had both results transferred to GEDmatch. Please see below their G25 results...
  11. Maciamo

Immigration Largest Italian, Irish, Polish, Greek cities in the world outside their home country

Great Britain, Spain and Portugal have set up population colonies that are now home to far more people than the country of origin. But what about more recent diaspora of countries that didn't set up their own population colonies? Largest Italian cities in the world For example is Buenos...
  12. Maciamo

Evolution of genetic admixtures by region

The work on the K12b admixture by historical culture gave me the idea to show the evolution of genetic admixtures over time by region. I have started with the Near East and East Mediterranean.
  13. L

Greek belonging to I1-L22 (I-Y16808* branch) - Yfull results

He is my Greek friend from the following thread. His paternal line goes back to the early modern period Greeks of Seydikoy, now part of the Izmir region of Turkey. https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/39712-Greek-GEDMATCH-results-(ancestry-from-multiple-greek-regions-). After doing a WGS test...
  14. S

Greek islander with... R-YP417 haplogroup?

Hey, I'm half greek islander
  15. L

Place and classify this Greek family - Individually and as a whole

Please classify them and tell the top 5 countries ,or even Greek areas, where they could pass. The following couple were the parents of my friend's maternal grandmother. All the photos are enhanced and one colorized. The man was a Sfakiot Cretan and the woman was half western anatolian greek...
  16. Maciamo

MyTrueAncestry - closest modern countries to ancient ethnicities

This thread is dedicated to comparing the the closest results of people from various European countries and regions to specific ancient archaeological cultures (e.g. Corded Ware, Unetice, Nordic Bronze Age, Villanovan, Hallstatt) or specific unmixed ethnic groups (Romans, Gauls, Franks, Saxons...
  17. Maciamo

Analysing Iron Age Italian samples

The Antonio et al. (2019) paper on Ancient Rome was released 2 and a half months ago, so I am coming a bit late for the analysis, but I had been busy before. Using the Dodecad K12b data provided by Jovialis, I created a table of the 11 Iron Age samples from this study. ID Date Y-DNA...
  18. L

Greek GEDMATCH results (ancestry from multiple greek regions )

Using MyHeritage raw dna data. He also got his G25 coordinates. And his Y-DNA prediction from Morley Y-DNA predictor too.Though before I post it here I need someone who knows the program well to help me reconfirm it because I ran into some errors and I don't know if the final result is correct...
  19. Jovialis

6th Century BC Aristocrat-Warrior Graves in Northern Greece

Archaeologists in northern Greece have explored more than 200 new graves in a vast ancient cemetery that was plundered in antiquity but still retained rich finds, including a gold mask and bronze helmets. In a statement Friday, the Culture Ministry said the most impressive finds came from the...
  20. Jovialis

Greeks invented the crane 1.5k years earlier than previously thought

"The foremost discovery of the Greeks in building technology is the crane," Pierattini said. "No previous civilizations are known to have used it, and it has remained central to building construction without remarkable changes for nearly 25 centuries—because it was perfect."...
Back