gaul

1. Maciamo

Similar words between Latin and Gaulish Celtic

How much did the ancient Romans understand the Gauls when Caesar set on his 9-year campaign? Would the language have appeared outlandish to Latin ears, like Basque is to us today, or on the contrary rather familiar like Romance and Germanic languages are to English speakers? Or maybe somewhere...
  2. Maciamo

Gallic Wars : list of legates and other staff officers in Julius Caesar's army

I am currently reading the book series Marius' Mules about the Gallic Wars (first 9 volumes, one book per year) and the Civil War between Caesar and Pompey. It is historical fiction, but written based on Caesar's Commentarii de Bello Gallico. Caesar's book is notoriously tedious to read and...
  3. Maciamo

Genetic analysis of Ancient Gaul

I have created a page dedicated the the genetics of ancient Gauls. I calculated the Dodecad K12b average percentages for 16 Gaulish samples and ran them against modern populations in Vahaduo to obtain the closest matches.
  4. P

R1b-DF19

Gallic or Germanic?
  5. G

Gauls

Is Gaul an ethnic group? Were they all the same people? Or was it a linguistic and cultural thing. Were they Alpine?
  6. G

The Celts in Northern Italy

the Celts in Northern Italy were basically the same ethnically as Italics but just Celtic in culture, Is this correct?
Back