nature

1. Maciamo

Nature Belgium becomes first in EU to recognise ecocide as international crime

From the Brussels Times: "Belgium's Federal Parliament approved a completely renewed Penal Code on Thursday evening, which – for the first time in Europe – includes recognition of the crime of ecocide at both the national and international levels. From now on, ecocide is included in the...
  2. Archetype0ne

Ancient plague genomes reveal the origins of the Black Death

https://phys.org/news/2022-06-ancient-plague-genomes-reveal-black.html The origins of the Second Plague Pandemic have long been debated. One of the most popular theories has supported its source in East Asia, specifically in China. To the contrary, the only so-far available archaeological...
  3. Maciamo

Nature Recommended documentary : Our Planet

I strongly recommend this superb WWF documentary narrated by David Attenborough. It is available on Netflix. One full episode is also available on YouTube. More information on OurPlanet.com.
  4. Maciamo

Nature Wildlife in 'catastrophic decline' due to human destruction, scientists warn

BBC News: Wildlife in 'catastrophic decline' due to human destruction, scientists warn "Wildlife populations have fallen by more than two-thirds in less than 50 years, according to a major report by the conservation group WWF. The report says this "catastrophic decline" shows no sign of...
  5. Maciamo

Nature New Ecology section

You may have noticed that Eupedia now has an Ecology section. I have written five articles in the last few days. I'll let you read them. Your feedback is welcome. :smile:
  6. Maciamo

Animals Three new species of giant mammals identified in Africa

I woke up this morning to the most shocking news, something that most people around the world didn't see coming. I am not talking about North Korea's nuclear test (we saw that one coming), but to a new German study published in Cell Biology showing that giraffes aren't a single species but four...
  7. Maciamo

Sustainability Organic food isn't the solution. Opt for GM food to save the planet.

I am reading Matt Ridley's excellent book The Rational Optimist, in which he denounces (pp. 149-156) the irrational fears toward GM crops held by a lot of people (especially in Europe) and by organisations such as Greenpeace or Friends of the Earth. Organic food causes more problems that it...
  8. Michael Folkesson

Earth Hour

Earth Hour has passed. The point is to make people aware of environmental issues and energy. Reading Swedish forums and posts there are a lot of angry climate change deniers posting that they are going to turn on extra lamps just for spite. These guys are often kind of upset but this event seem...
  9. L

South America and Africa to use nature to alleviate poverty

South America and Africa to use nature to alleviate poverty This week researchers from all corners of the globe will come together to discuss ways of tapping into Nature?s ?treasure chest? to reduce poverty, deliver sustainable growth and improve the lives of people in the most vulnerable...
Back