intelligence

1. Maciamo

Covid New studies says Covid lowers IQ and lead to the equivalent of 7 to 20 years of brain aging

If true, that would be terrible news for the world as a whole. Brain fog, poor memory and lower IQ would significantly affect the economy, reduce scientific research, and more generally cause a diminution of well-being and productivity. It could also lead to the election or worse politicians...
  2. Maciamo

Forecasts of genetic fate just got a lot more accurate

Tests like 23andMe were revolutionary 10 years ago. But their ability to predict risks of developing specific diseases have not always been very accurate, except for carrier status. Things are evolving fast now that millions of individuals have been sequenced specifically to find new genes...
  3. Jovialis

Neurology Brain imaging helps redefine intelligence

Scanning the brain would be a way to completely eliminate any testing bias, in assessing one's true intelligence. Moreover, it could provide clues as to how we can improve upon intelligence. As well as understanding how to stimulate learning, and improve upon education. Further, it would help us...
  4. Jovialis

Neurology New Brain Mapping Technique Highlights Relationship between Connectivity and IQ

Soon brain scans can be used to determine a person's intelligence, rather than an IQ test. The study published on Cell found that connectivity of a person's brain is associated with intelligence. As well as mental disorders, like depression, anxiety, and schizophrenia. Yet curiously, one of the...
  5. Maciamo

ASD Can someone have high IQ without having at least some Asperger traits ?

Many if not most great geniuses in history are now thought to have had Asperger syndrome or High-functioning Autism. It all started with Norm Ledgin's book Diagnosing Jefferson, in which the author argues that Jefferson's behaviours matches the five diagnostic criteria for Asperger's: social...
  6. Maciamo

Could a machine or an AI ever feel human-like emotions ?

Computers will soon be able to simulate the functioning of a human brain. In a near future, artificial superintelligence could become vastly more intellectually capable and versatile than humans. But could machines ever truly experience the whole range of human feelings and emotions, or are...
  7. Maciamo

KL gene variant found to increase IQ by six points

Individuals with a VS version of the KL gene have in average six IQ points more than other people. This is the conclusion drawn from three independent studies, including a new one conducted by Dena Dubal of the University of California, San Francisco, and Lennart Mucke of the Gladstone...
  8. Maciamo

Is it possible to build a super AI without fully replicating the human brain ?

Here is another of my articles on Life 2.0. Is it possible to build an artificial superintelligence without fully replicating the human brain ?
  9. Maciamo

Can acquired traits and aptitudes be inherited through epigenetics ?

The idea may have sounded ridiculous to many scientists not so long ago. After all, when are born our brain is supposedly a blank slate. DNA only constitutes the body's building blocks, and the principles of Darwinian evolution states that any new mutation arises fortuitously. In contrast...
  10. N

Chess and Neanderthal/Cro-Magnon connection

Haven't posted as much lately, please excuse my sparse commentary... but I figure it's time to spice things up again. Anyone else notice a connection between world class chess figures and "more primitive" or maybe more masculine facial features? By this I mean a pronounced brow ridge, broader...
  11. edao

Alpha Wave Music Boosts Brain Power

A friend recently told me she makes a point of making sure her kids listen to classical music. When I questioned her as to why she thought it was benefical for them she had no real answer. It's commonly held that people who listen to classical music from a young age are some how smarter, so i...
Back