ancient

1. M

Turkish Black Sea 23andme Results

Im from Ordu all of my Grandparents are from Ordu but only my Grandmother (mother side) is from Trabzon
  2. D

Database for ancient DNA comparison ab. 200'000 SNPs

Hi there, I succeeded in sequencing ancient autosomal DNA from a far relative, with a result of about 200'000 SNPs. But neither GEDMatch or other database accept this upload because they need almost 500k SNPs... Does someone know if there are worldwide databases to make random comparisons...
  3. Bosnian Boss

New DNA Study on Neolithic Populations in China

A new study arrived today on a somewhat less-discussed topic, that being Neolithic China. https://phys.org/news/2020-05-ancient-dna-unveils-important-piece.html
  4. Jovialis

Researchers extract nicotine from ancient dental plaque for the first time

A team of scientists including researchers from Washington State University has shown for the first time that nicotine residue can be extracted from plaque, also known as "dental calculus", on the teeth of ancient tobacco users. Their research provides a new method for determining who was...
  5. Jovialis

Evolution Study of 385-million-year-old shark suggests humans and sharks shared common ancestor

I was always fascinated by sharks at an early age. I loved watching documentaries, and reading books about them. Jaws was probably my favorite movie as well.
  6. LeBrok

GEDmatch, list of ancient samples with kit numbers.

GEDmatch, list of ancient samples with kit numbers. Here are kit numbers of ancient samples on Gedmatch, from my database. Please post kits with description of samples, and all you know about these samples. Sorry, I didn't have time to put it in a coherent database. M825671 I1293 Iran...
  7. K

First Celts

The original Celts came from central Europe. However modern central Europeans (Swiss and Austrians) don't look phenotypically Celtic in the modern interpretation (Irish, welsh). Were the original Celts closer in appearance and genes to the Irish (pale, freckles, red hair) or closer to the Swiss...
  8. LeBrok

Cephalic index of ancient populations and reconstructions

The cephalic index or cranial index is the ratio of the maximum width of the head of an organism (human or animal) multiplied by 100 divided by its maximum length (i.e., in the horizontal plane, or front to back). The index is also used to categorize animals, especially dogs and cats.
  9. LeBrok

Favorite Lectures About Ancient Times, History Lessons.

Please post your favorite lectures, links, youtube videos, etc with professional historians, archeologists or geneticists giving presentations on historic events, civilizations, cultures, bones, DNA, etc. Here is a one I start with: Prof. James P. Mallory on Origin of Tocharians...
  10. Kotroman

To which ancient people can mtDNA haplogroups be linked to?

Is it possible to link a mtDNA with an ancient tribe? Like haplogroup I1 is linked to pre-Germanic peoples of Scandinavia, like R1b-S21 is linked to the ancient continental Germanic peoples, R1b-S28 to Proto-Italo-Celts, R1b-L21 to Atlanto-Celts, N1c1 to Finno-Ugric and Baltic peoples...
  11. N

Moving large stone?

Groups throughout history have left "statements in stone"... informing us that they had the means to transport giant loads (without the benefit of modern forklifts or bulldozers). Some of the most impressive examples are the pyramids of Egypt, the ancient Incan ruins, Stonehenge, and the...
  12. Maciamo

Egyptian mummy identified as belonging to Y-haplogroup I2

A new article in Nature revealed that Carsten Pusch from the University of Tübingen managed to sequence the DNA of an ancient Egyptian mummy. Sadly the article doesn't give more information about the identity or age of the mummy, but there is a fleeting mention that the man belonged to...
  13. G

Ancient Italic People

Can someone give me a brief description of every Italic tribe , in terms of who they they were Ethnically, Culturally, Linguistically etc No need to use Haplogroups. By Italic I mean all tribes inhabiting what is now Italy.
  14. Maciamo

Ramesses III belonged to haplogroup E1b1a

We've got the Y-DNA results of Ramesses III (reigned 1186–1155 BCE), the second pharaoh of Egypt's 20th dynasty. Based on his 13 STR markers tested, the probabilities are that he belonged to haplogroup E1b1a (aka E-V38, the Black African branch), although there is a faint possibility that it is...
  15. Maciamo

Most important ancient DNA that should be tested

Sometimes I wonder how researchers pick and choose the ancient samples that they test for DNA. Very often they don't seem like to be from the most interesting places and periods to further our understanding of European prehistory. Now that Neolithic Y-DNA and autosomal DNA has been...
  16. Maciamo

With what ancient ethnicity do you most identify, and what has DNA told you ?

Europe is an ethnic melting pot. Well, let's not exaggerate. Europeans are genetically among the most homogeneous racial group. Indians, South-East Asians, Middle-Easterners, Central Asians and Africans all have greater genetic diversity than Europeans. But we were taught at school that Europe...
  17. LeBrok

Smart ancient people

How come ancient Phoenicians/Carthaginians, Greeks and Romans were so smart? At least at the beginning and the height of their times. Basically they invented and laid down all the building blocks of sciences, literature, arts, architecture, finances etc. And we are talking about a million of...
Back