evolution

1. E

Question Could it be possible for members from different species like cats and dogs to share the same haplogroup?

Recently thought of this wild hypothesis: although the cats(feline) and dogs(canine) we see today are two totally different species, there actually existed a common ancestor which both felines and canines descended from known as the Miacidae, or the Miacis, a small, weasel-like insect-eating...
  2. M

Out of Egypt?

I recently noticed something that we had in front of our noses for a while. I'm doubtful of the fact that Africa plays such a big role in our evolution as a species. I'm of the idea that humanity is not a big worker(in the middle of the wilderness). Instead we seek big bodies of water with...
  3. M

Rivers essential for humanity/civilization?

The importance of rivers for the appearance of the first civilizations, that were based primarily in the mastering of an agricultural economy, is a common topic in general culture. The reasons are obvious:abundance of water, therefore food, easy transport and the bigger nets of population that...
  4. M

Civilization is good for survival

We know that civilization is the key aspect of humanity. But, do we?You see, I've noticed that civilization and all the conventions, customs... it comprises; is the only way that humanity has set for humanity, even to the smallest detail. Particularly I want to show you how essential is for the...
  5. Archetype0ne

The brain sensor discovery behind humans getting taller

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59140359 This new study, published in Nature, and led by researchers from the University of Cambridge alongside teams from Queen Mary University of London, University of Bristol, University of Michigan and Vanderbilt University, has discovered the brain receptor...
  6. Maciamo

Amazing short videos about science and other topics

I have found a series of educational videos on YouTube sponsored by various organisations around the world, including the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the Australian Academy of Science. It is called Kurzgesagt, which is German for 'shortly said', but better translated as 'in a...
  7. Maciamo

90% of species on Earth today came into being 100,000 to 200,000 ybp

Found this on Phys.org: Sweeping gene survey reveals new facets of evolution "Who would have suspected that a handheld genetic test used to unmask sushi bars pawning off tilapia for tuna could deliver deep insights into evolution, including how new species emerge? And who would have thought to...
  8. Jovialis

Why aren't humans 'knuckle-walkers?'

Our closest biological relatives, the African apes, are the only animals that walk on their knuckles; CWRU researchers discovered why Researchers at Case Western Reserve University have cracked the evolutionary mystery of why chimpanzees and gorillas walk on their knuckles: The short...
  9. Jovialis

The Ancient Origins of Neural Substrates for Land Walking

Researchers have determined that the neural circuitry, and genes for walking found in animals, were developed 420 million years before the first little skates (Leucoraja erinacea) and tetrapods. Which is way before the evolution of limbs used for the means of walking movements...
  10. Jovialis

The evolution of modern human brain shape

Abstract and symbolic thinking may have began to flourish in Homo Sapiens when our brains became rounder in shape.
  11. Jovialis

Evolution What species is most fit for life?

All of them. No species is inferior, or superior to another when it comes to fitness for survival. One may gain a temporary advantage, but it is quickly negated by competition. :good_job:
  12. Jovialis

Evolution Evolution of the First Animals

The Rise of Animals in a Changing Environment: Global Ecological Innovation in the Late Ediacaran [I] ABSTRACT The evolutionary trajectory of early complex life on Earth is interpreted largely from the fossils of the Precambrian soft-bodied Ediacara Biota, which appeared and evolved during a...
  13. Jovialis

Genetic study shows some evolutionary changes humans are currently undergoing

I don't think there's any doubt that we as humans are currently still evolving; It's not like we would ever stop. Younger-women reproducing, with low-education attainment doesn't necessarily speak about their intelligence. Moreover, more muscular men being favored for selection, and the last...
  14. Maciamo

Neanderthal's brain matured more slowly than Homo sapiens and other primates

For those who still thought of Neanderthals as brutish retards, think again. It was already known that they had bigger brains than us, they could talk, buried their dead long before Homo sapiens, used medicinal plants, made and used painting and jewellery, and that they may have invented...
  15. Maciamo

First Homo sapiens may have appeared in North Africa 300,000 years ago (Hublin 2017)

Prehistory is being rewritten once again! BBC News: 'First of our kind' found in Morocco The idea that modern people evolved in a single "cradle of humanity" in East Africa some 200,000 years ago is no longer tenable, new research suggests. Fossils of five early humans have been found in...
  16. L

Origins of Genus Homo - CARTA symposium 1/3

CARTA: Origins of Genus Homo – Homo: What, Who, When, Where?; Evolution of Early Human Body Form; Evolution of Human Life History Patterns...
  17. Maciamo

The great pairings of Y-DNA haplogroups in prehistory

When G2a Neolithic farmers started advancing from the Near East into Europe, they encountered indigenous hunter-gathering tribes belonging to various haplogroups (C1a2, F, I*, I1, I2a, I2b, I2c, and possibly even H). Interestingly, most of these lineages didn't survive in significant number...
  18. Maciamo

Lions' mitochondrial eve lived 125,000 years ago

An analysis of the mitochondrial DNA of living lions and museum specimens conducted by Ross Barnett of Durham University and his colleagues reveal that the most recent common maternal ancestor of modern lions lived around 124,000 years ago. The study tested the DNA of extinct Barbary...
  19. Maciamo

Mutation in Coenzyme Q gene defines most major mtDNA haplogroups

While analysing the mtDNA phylogeny, I noticed that most of the common, successful mitochondrial haplogroups were defined by a new mutation in the Coenzyme Q - cytochrome c reductase gene (MT-CYB) encoding the Cytochrome b protein, located between positions 14,747 and 15,887 in the mtDNA...
  20. Maciamo

When did humans first...

Here is a list of the oldest evidence known to archaeology for things that humans did for the first time in prehistory. The purpose is to give a overview of the timeline of technological developments across prehistoric times. - Humans made stone tools at least 2.6 million years ago in Ethiopia...
Back