religions

1. Maciamo

What are the three things that most strongly define your identity?

I posted a thread on how Europeans viewed themselves and how much they identified with things such as one's family, gender, age group, nationality, region, level of education, occupation, sexual orientation, ethnicity, political orientation, or religion. If you had to choose three things to...
  2. Maciamo

Religion Why is cannibalism glorified by Christianity?

When you think about it, one of the most fundamental requirement of any Christians is to eat human flesh and drink human blood, or at least the bread and wine that symbolise it. But the way it is written in the Bible is ambiguous and could be interpreted as the duty of all Christians to eat...
  3. Maciamo

Religion U.S. Church Membership Falls Below Majority for First Time

Gallup has been conducting polls about religious beliefs in the USA since the 1930s. For the first time less than 50% of U.S. adults (47%) reported to belong to a church, synagogue or mosque. The non-religious people are not a homogeneous group. There are convinced atheists, uncertain agnostics...
  4. Maciamo

Society New map of public support for abortion by country in and around Europe

This map shows the percentage of the population who says that abortion should be legal in all or most cases (2015-17). It is based on the data from the Pew Research, except for Turkey, India, China and Japan, which are from the Ipsos survey for 2017. No data was available for Muslim countries...
  5. Maciamo

Immigration New map of Muslim population in Europe

I noticed that there wasn't any good map showing the percentage of Muslims in Europe by region (and not just by country), so I searched for the data and made one. Brussels had the highest percentage of Muslims (25%) of any non-Muslim country in Europe, followed by Marseille and Birmingham (both...
  6. Maciamo

Ethics Countries with higher GDP per capita less likely to link belief in God to morality

The Pew Research Center has published a new global survey named The Global God Divide, in which they investigate whether people agree whether there is the connection between belief in God and morality in 34 countries. The findings reveal a clear correlation between GDP per capita and the...
  7. Maciamo

Spiral dynamics - the evolution of human cultures

I have recently come across the concept of spiral dynamics, a model of eight levels of increasingly complex human value systems (or vMemes) consisting of sets of world views, preferences, and purposes. Each level represent a new evolution in the way people interact within a society. The...
  8. Maciamo

Religion Correlation between obesity and religiosity

In the USA, fundamentalist Christians and most people who consider themselves very religious tend to reject many biological facts (evolution of species, existence of genetic predispositions, genetics playing a major role in intelligence or temperament, etc.). I was wondering if this ignorance...
  9. Maciamo

Calendar of new secular and scientific holidays

Have you ever felt annoyed by the fact that national holidays in your country are often religious holidays? In many European countries Epiphany, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Ascension Day, Whit Monday, Assumption, All Saints' Day, Christmas and/or St Stephens' Day (aka Boxing Day in the UK) are...
  10. Maciamo

Brain scans show social exclusion creates jihadists

The Guardian: Brain scans show social exclusion creates jihadists, say researchers "For years western policymakers have tried to establish what causes individuals to be radicalised. Now a pioneering study has used medical science to gain fresh insight into the process – in the brains of...
  11. Maciamo

Religion Religious Typology: a new way to categorise Americans by religion

The Pew Research Center has published a new and revealing classification of religion in America. I am not going to copy the whole article here (9 long pages). Here are just a few charts to highlight the research and my comments. Here is a summary of the new classification. As you will see...
  12. Maciamo

Society New survey compares percentages of Christians and unaffiliated in Western Europe

A new survey by the Pew Research Center analyses the percentages of practising and non-practising Christians and unaffiliated people across West European countries. Here are a few infographics to illustrate the findings. The Benelux and Nordic countries have the least practising Christians...
  13. Maciamo

Religion and tradition still influence couples' decision to get married

In another thread, I was explaining how, for many Northwest Europeans, the decision to get married or live under a civil union or domestic partnership was often simply motivated by the desire to have a wedding party (still a dream for many women, regardless of their religiosity). I was...
  14. Maciamo

Religion Pew survey shows that Atheists and Evangelicals hate each others most in the USA

A survey by the Pew Research Center published last week revealed that Americans express increasingly warm feelings toward religious groups (other than theirs), meaning that overall Americans are becoming more tolerant. A considerable amelioration in attitudes has been witnessed in only two and...
  15. LeBrok

Should God be removed from politics and law?

Do you think, that at this time and age, in countries with separation of religion from state, we still should tolerate any mention of God, gods or any other supernatural creatures, in our anthems, oath, constitution, law proceedings, etc? Should we continue with it on grounds of tradition or...
  16. Petros Agapetos

Arguments For and Against the Existence of God

Argument from Design It would have to mean that the designer of this plan was unbelievably lazy and inept, or unbelievably callous. And cruel. And indifferent. And capricious. And that is the case with every argument for design, and every argument for revelation and intervention, that has...
  17. Maciamo

Religion Lack of religious affiliation set to become mainstream in Western countries

Atheism and agnosticism have been gaining a lot of grounds in Western countries over the last decade thanks to the Internet. USA According to this chart (source), the percentage of unaffiliated in the USA started soaring from 1995, which is the year the Internet really took off. Most of the...
  18. 2

Why Human

As philosophers, historians, and wise old men and women would have us know, people are born with certain things about them that make them "human". Yes, of course, we all have the genetic build that is standard for us to biologically be human and not bird or bug. What I mean when I say they...
  19. LeBrok

Do you think that smart society of the future (by Eugenics) will be more atheist?

Assuming that scientists are the smartest of us all, their spirituality or rather lack of it, can point us to the character of future society. I'm almost certain that in future people will make kids in hospitals or labs by gene manipulation, rather than risking sick or mediocre child made...
  20. LeBrok

Beliefs, Spirituality, and why we believe.

I would like to present couple of articles I wrote about beliefs, spirituality and possible origin of both. In future I will expend them and link to relevant research papers.
Back