ancient greece

1. Maciamo

Facial reconstructions of famous ancient Greeks

Italian artist Alessandro Tomasi has reconstructed the faces of ancient Greek philosophers, mathematicians and politicians. Here are a few of them by chronological order. Homer Thales of Miletus (c. 624–620 —c. 548–545 BCE) Pythagoras of Samos ( c. 570 – c. 495 BCE) Pericles (c. 495...
  2. Jovialis

Intact Early Mycenaean Tomb Discovered in Greece

An intact tomb from the early Mycenaean era (1650-1400 BC) has been unearthed by archaeologists in the region of Nemea, southern Greece. According to the Culture Ministry, the tomb is among the largest ever found in the region and is set apart by the short yet wide path leading to its entrance...
  3. Jovialis

Milo of Croton & Lessons on Building Strength

Nearly 2,500 years ago, a Greek man, Milo of Croton, a man of incredible strength and athleticism, taught us the three basic principles of building muscle: Start very light, don’t miss workouts, increase in very small increments. Milo, from Croton in Magna Graecia, today’s southern Italy, was...
  4. Jovialis

Did Ancient Greeks ‘Go to the Beach’?

Every summer, Greeks flock to the beaches of the Aegean and the Ionian seas to swim, get a tan or chill out in picturesque tavernas or modern beach bars. But what was the relationship of ancient Greeks to the beach? It is unlikely that affluent inland Athenians or Spartans would ride their...
  5. Jovialis

History of Mother's Day

Mother’s Day is not a celebration that is only a century old but a long tradition that has its roots in Ancient Greece, honoring the mother, as the life-giver. Mother Earth (Gaia), wife of Uranus, was the personification of nature that gives birth to everything and she was worshipped as the...
  6. Jovialis

Red-Figure Krater Unearthed in Bulgaria

SOZOPOL, BULGARIA—Archaeology in Bulgaria reports that a dwelling dating to the sixth century B.C. has been discovered in the ancient Greek colony of Apollonia Pontica, located on the Skamni Peninsula of Bulgaria’s Black Sea coast. Among the artifacts in the house, archaeologists found a krater...
  7. A

Hey could someone help me with that its for a school project

So I know that Ancient greek haplogroups were J2 from Minoans and Cyclades and R1b from indoeuropean dorians . Did ancient greeks have big ammounts of other haplogroups too ? Do modern greeks have the same haplogroups ? Whats the difference between ancient and modern greeks ? And if Minoans and...
  8. Jovialis

Iklaina was a Major Center of Mycenaean Culture

Monumental discoveries in Iklaina, including an open-air pagan sanctuary, have reinforced the view that this ancient Greek town was no backwater as had been thought, but a major center of Mycenaean culture – that throws back the formation of the earliest complex states in ancient Greece by...
  9. Jovialis

Ancient Greeks Drank Beer

In addition to wine, the Ancient Greeks also brewed and drank beer.
  10. Jovialis

Precise Rendition of What Ancient Greek Music Sounded Like

So far, researchers have managed to learn a lot about ancient Greek culture by interpreting the surviving fragments of age-old pot decorations, mosaics, paintings, and statues. From these discoveries we’ve been able to learn that music played an integral part in the lifestyle of ancient Greece...
  11. A

What can autosomal calculators tell us about ancient Greek admixture?

There are plenty of autosomal calculators around (http://gedmatch.com/) and I have used practically all of them in order to identify any hint that would point me to the ancient Greek admixture. I will use data from the Dodecad project (k12b calculator) and concentrate on 3 populations who, I...
Back