china

1. Maciamo

Is your image of China up to date?

I have been three times to China, but the first two were about 20 years ago. If there is one country that has changed beyond recognition in 20 years it is definitely China. New megacities have emerged from almost nothing. There are now skyscrapers over 4300 skyscrapers in China, about four times...
  2. Maciamo

Economy Chinese EV are bad news for European and Japanese car makers

German and Japanese car makers are quickly losing market share in China. This appears inevitable Chinese car makers can produce cheaper electric cars that are as good or better than any others. German car makers have also been too slow to adapt to the EV market, trying to prolong the life of the...
  3. M

R1a in Han

In the northern Chinese provinces of Gansu and (western) Henan there are like 9/10% of haplogroup R1a. Taking into account that these regions are somewhat close to Xinjiang, makes sense. The striking part however, is that we're talking about the Han ethnicity.
  4. M

Do Chinese have Finnish in them?

I've been searching for ancestry composition videos and I've noticed some pattern among Chinese. We're all mixed. Everybody has blended or descends from a foreign population if we go far back in time. I wonder to which extent they consider other haplogroups native to the place, or they count...
  5. Bosnian Boss

New DNA Study on Neolithic Populations in China

A new study arrived today on a somewhat less-discussed topic, that being Neolithic China. https://phys.org/news/2020-05-ancient-dna-unveils-important-piece.html
  6. Jovialis

Phylogenetic evidence for Sino-Tibetan origin in northern China in the Late Neolithic

A small team of researchers affiliated with several institutions across China has conducted an in-depth study of the Sino-Tibetan language family and has concluded that it likely originated in present-day northern China. In their paper published in the journal Nature, the group describes their...
  7. Jovialis

CRISPR Babies in China: Across the Rubicon

Just listening to the episode now, certainly interesting: https://insitome.libsyn.com/crispr-babies-in-china-across-the-rubicon Here's the news article by Antonio Regalado: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/612458/exclusive-chinese-scientists-are-creating-crispr-babies/
  8. Jovialis

Artifacts imply hominins left Africa earlier than previously thought

Hominin occupation of the Chinese Loess Plateau since about 2.1 million years ago Abstract Considerable attention has been paid to dating the earliest appearance of hominins outside Africa. The earliest skeletal and artefactual evidence for the genus Homo in Asia currently comes from Dmanisi...
  9. Jovialis

11,000-Year-Old Burial Uncovered in China

Oh good, they are in fact doing DNA studies on the remains of the child.
  10. Jovialis

Earliest example of large hydraulic enterprise excavated in China

Absolutely amazing that they had this kind of organization to facilitate a long term project like this, 5,100 years ago!
  11. Maciamo

New map of Y-DNA haplogroups in East Asia

I have considerably expanded my Genetic history of the Japanese, and added regional frequencies in Japan and in neighbouring populations. The Y-DNA data is still too scare to make fine-scale distribution maps by haplogroup, but this map with pie charts should help visualise the bigger picture.
  12. Maciamo

Homo erectus may have survived in China as late as 14,000 years ago

In the news today, a partial femur found in the Red Deer Cave in China might show that a archaic species of human may have overlapped with modern humans until the end of the ice age. Since 2001 I have supported the theory that the main racial divisions among humans (Caucasoids, Negroids...
  13. Maciamo

Did the Chinese Bronze Age originate in the Eurasian Steppe ?

The Bronze Age appears to have originated around the Caucasus circa 3500 BCE, with the Maykop culture (3700—2000 BCE) and the approximately contemporaneous Kura-Araxes culture (3500—2200 BCE). Older Bronze objects have been found in Serbia dating from 4500 BCE, but the practice was discontinued...
  14. Maciamo

Tibetans got gene for high-altitude adaptation from Denisovans

A new paper by Emilia Huerta-Sánchez and colleagues was published in Nature yesterday: Altitude adaptation in Tibetans caused by introgression of Denisovan-like DNA. Abstract As modern humans migrated out of Africa, they encountered many new environmental conditions, including greater...
  15. edao

Economy Rise of China

With the rise of China as an economic and political super-power, are you worried about the potential drop in your living standards? With the Austerity measures being unrolled across Europe and with the fudamental weaknesses still unresolved within the Euro-zone, some are wondering if Europe...
Back