germanic

1. R

Genetic study The Genetic Legacy of the Roman Imperial Rule in northern Italy

We had the debate about the East Mediterranean and Germanic influence in Italy numerous times, but I think that new study will add new fuel to the ongoing debate and change some perspectives. At this point its just an abstract, but a quite informative one: What the abstract is suggesting is...
  2. Maciamo

Genetic study Ancient DNA of Roman Danubian Frontier and Slavic Migrations (Olalde 2021)

Here is the preprint of the new Reich lab paper Cosmopolitanism at the Roman Danubian Frontier, Slavic Migrations, and the Genomic Formation of Modern Balkan Peoples I have summarised the Y-DNA and mtDNA on this table. ID Location Date Y-DNA mtDNA I15527 Viminacium, Pecine Necropolis...
  3. Maciamo

Genetic analysis of Early Medieval Germanic tribes

I long wanted to compare the genomes of various Germanic tribes to see how similar they were with each others and how much they resembled modern Europeans. I have started doing it here with an analysis of Lombard, Anglo-Saxon, Suebi/Alemanni and Ostrogothic genomes. In short, Lombards and...
  4. ConfusedCelt

I have T1a2b1a, am I descended from Carthaginians/Phonecians?

All the rest of my ancestry was Celtic and Saxon/Scandinavian. But I had a tiny sliver of DNA titled "Balari" and I looked it up and they were a Nuragic people. And my YDNA is Haplogroup T1a2... My father is from the Netherlands and my mother is from Ireland. Where did this come from? Did it...
  5. Maciamo

MyTrueAncestry - closest modern countries to ancient ethnicities

This thread is dedicated to comparing the the closest results of people from various European countries and regions to specific ancient archaeological cultures (e.g. Corded Ware, Unetice, Nordic Bronze Age, Villanovan, Hallstatt) or specific unmixed ethnic groups (Romans, Gauls, Franks, Saxons...
  6. L

I1 and U106 - always Germanic or speaking language ancestral to Common Germanic?

YFull estimates TMRCA of I1 as 4600 ybp and TMRCA of U106 as 4800 ybp. Proto-Germanic language is believed to have been spoken to about 2500 ybp, which is much after the development of U106 and I1 subbranches (according to YFull estimations it is more than 2000 years). If all U106 and I1 is...
  7. C

Where was Germania?

In the Greco-Roman sources, there are two different lands with the name of Germania, one of them is in Iran and another one is the north of Europe, the interesting point is that the Iranian one was not mentioned after 5th century BC and the European one was not mentioned before 3rd century BC...
  8. S

R-z326

I am trying to learn more information on this subclade, thanks.
  9. P

R1b-DF19

Gallic or Germanic?
  10. Maciamo

New phylogenetic trees of R1a

At long last I have found time and energy to update the phylogenetic tree of Y-haplogroup R1a. There are now six separate trees (R1a stem, L664, Z284, M458, Z280 and Z93) instead of two. Like for the other haplogroup trees which I have updated in the last few months (all haplogroups except R1b)...
  11. Maciamo

African admixture in ancient Germanic/Scandinavian people

I have analysed dozens of ancient genomes using Dodecad dv3 and K12b and Eurogenes K36, and I noticed that almost every time ancient Scandinavians or Germanic tribes possessed non-negligible percentages of African admixture. These were sometimes reported as Central African or Northwest African...
  12. R

What's your favorite Germanic language?

This poll is inspired by the favorite Romance language poll and thread. What is your favorite Germanic language, and, if you are willing, why? You may base your favorite on anything - the phonology, look of the writing system, grammar, literature, music, or associated culture. If you are a...
  13. Maciamo

Do the Mordvins, Chuvash and Tatars descend from Carpathian Goths ?

In the thread about the distribution of R1b-Z2103, I started analysing the Y-DNA data from the new Trofimova et al. 2015 paper in Russian (English summary here). I noticed that the Volga-Ural ethnic groups could be divided in four categories: 1) Uralic speakers with over 50% of Uralic Y-DNA...
  14. salloci

New I-Z161 Member

Hi all. Thanks this website, my genetic interest to know more about my ancesters was growing and growing. I would like to give you all thanks for all contributions, especially to Maciamo. I want to share with all of you my Geno 2.0 results: Y-dna: I-Z161 Mtdna: J1c2a I'm a newcomer but i...
  15. Maciamo

Searching for famous R1b-U106 individuals

This thread is dedicated to proposing new famous members of haplogroup R1b-U106 (S21) and its subclades. So far, confirmed R1b-U106 carriers include: - The House of Bourbon - The House of Wettin - James K. Polk (L48+ according to the Polk-Pollock DNA Project) - Ulysses S. Grant (U106 > L47...
  16. N

Germanic loanwords in Albanian

Hello everyone, I recently read Vladimir Orels Albanian Etymological Dictionary. I noticed that there are some Germanic loanwords into Albanian, particularly from Gothic. A few of them are: Akull (ice) Loanword from jakulaz (icicle, glacier) burg (prison, stable)from *burg (borough, fenced)...
  17. Maciamo

New phylogenetic tree of R1b-U106 (S21)

The R1b-U106 family tree is growing in complexity. The newest lineages at the bottom-right of the tree (under Z7 and Z319) have a TMRCA of barely 1500 years, which means that they roughly date from the time of the Anglo-Saxon migrations or possibly later. Obviously the most developed branches of...
  18. Maciamo

Estimating Germanic Y-DNA in Iberia

Spain and Portugal are fairly well studied countries for Y-chromosomal lineages. Unfortunately no study so far has tested for the Germanic S21/U106 subclade of R1b, and few papers even distinguish subclades of I (those who did only tested for I2a1a-M26). I have analysed the raw data from Adams...
  19. Maciamo

Map of Germanic paternal lineages

I have created a new map combining most Germanic lineages associated with the diffusion Germanic peoples from the Iron Age onwards. These includes Y-DNA haplogroups I1 (except some subclades of Finnish origin), I2-M223, R1a-Z284, R1b-U106, and R1b-L238.
  20. Maciamo

Distribution of I1 in Italy (Boattini et al.)

Haplogroup I1 is a marker of Germanic migrations to Italy. The Ostrogoths, Vandals, Lombards, Franks and Normans all left some I1 lineages behind them. The distribution of I1 is fairly homogeneous all over Italy, usually ranging from 1 to 5%. I had a look at the new study by Boattini et al. to...
Back