cars

1. Maciamo

Economy Chinese EV are bad news for European and Japanese car makers

German and Japanese car makers are quickly losing market share in China. This appears inevitable Chinese car makers can produce cheaper electric cars that are as good or better than any others. German car makers have also been too slow to adapt to the EV market, trying to prolong the life of the...
  2. Maciamo

Nature Electric cars have a bigger carbon footprint than petrol car

I am getting seriously fed up by people who believe that electric cars are better for the planet than petrol cars. It may seem like a logical idea, especially when one believes Elon Musk's deceitful propaganda, but in reality electric cars have a bigger carbon footprint than petrol car. I...
  3. Maciamo

Most stressful countries to dive in Europe

The French Vinci Motorways Foundation for responsible driving ("Fondation VINCI Autoroutes pour une conduite responsable") published its annual study (for the 12th year) on the most and least stressed drivers in Europe (based on of survey of 11 countries). Belgians came on top as the most...
  4. Maciamo

Climate change What is the carbon footprint of a new petrol, hybrid and electric car?

For most people having a car represents the biggest share of one's personal carbon footprint. Unless one travels a lot by plane, few other consumables generate nearly as much CO2. Driving 15,000 km per year (a bit less than 10,000 miles) with a petrol car generates as much CO2 as home heating...
  5. Maciamo

Price of personalised car plates (vanity plates) by country

Belgium legalised the use of customisable licence plates a few years ago, and since then they have become quite popular despite the rather steep price tag (1000€ per plate). Brussels being the EU capital, with one third of its population made of foreigners, we see foreign car plates from all...
  6. Maciamo

Society New maps of the quality of roads, number of speeding fines & road fatalities

I have added new vehicle maps of Europe. I wanted to see if there was a correlation between road fatalities and the quality of roads or number of speeding fines per capita. There doesn't seem to be much correlation. Road fatalities correlate best with the Human Development Index. I suppose that...
  7. Maciamo

Climate change Many countries set to ban sales of petrol/diesel cars by 2030 or 2040

It may come as a shock to many of you, but one European country has already banned the sales of new petrol/diesel cars this year: Austria. Wikipedia keeps a list of countries that plan to phase-out of fossil fuel vehicles. After Austria, it is Norway who is going to follow suit in 2025. The...
  8. Maciamo

Sustainability Ranking of the most sustainable and environmentally friendly car makers

Following the ranking for the most eco-friendly fashion brands and electronics companies, I am now tackling the automobile industry. Car manufacturing has a considerable environmental impact, especially on deforestation and resource depletion. Discover which car makers are doing the most effort...
  9. Maciamo

eBussy: a new revolutionary modulable electric vehicle

It's hard to describe what eBussy is in one word. It's a minibus, but also mini motorhome, a pickup truck and a van, all rolled into one. The eBussy is an astonishing electric vehicle based on a modular concept that the manufacturer promises to be as easy to handle as Lego bricks. Its launch is...
  10. Maciamo

Economy Most popular car makers by country (with market share)

Travelling in different countries I couldn't help but notice that the brands of cars on the road can vary quite a bit. Obviously people tend to buy more cars from their own country, either for patriotic reasons or because the marketing is better, the cars are designed in accordance with the...
Back