mesolithic

1. Anfänger

Genomic and dietary discontinuities during the Mesolithic and Neolithic in Sicily

Mesolithic and Neolithic in Sicily Highlights 1.Genetic transition between Early Mesolithic and Late Mesolithic hunter-gatherers. 2.A near-complete genetic turnover during the Mesolithic-Neolithic transition. 3.Exchange of subsistence practices between hunter-gatherers and early farmers...
  2. HiveMindTerror

Haplogroup I in the Mesolithic

So most of my interest in haplogroups came from recorded history, the Slavs etc. Lately I've been reading into its further origins. According to Eupedia, I2 was the most common haplogroup in Europe up to the end of the Mesolithic? Is this true? I've seen a few sites saying otherwise or mixed...
  3. M

Cheddar man

What is Y-chromosome haplogroup of cheddar man? Mt haplogroup is published and I have not found info on Y-chromosome.
  4. Jovialis

Ancient Teeth show fish and plant consumption in Mesolithic Mediterranean

Previous analysis of Mesolithic skeletal remains in this region has suggested a more varied Medittaranrrean diet consisting of terrestrial, freshwater and marine food resources, not too dissimilar to what modern humans eat today. Although this recent find is the only example of a skeleton that...
  5. Jovialis

Mesolithic Settlement Found in Copenhagen

COPENHAGEN, DENMARK—The Copenhagen Post reports that flint arrowheads as well as human and animal bones have been uncovered during construction work at Kastellet, a star-shaped fortress dating to the seventeenth century located in what is now Copenhagen. The artifacts suggest a settlement stood...
  6. Jovialis

Skulls on Stakes and Cranial Trauma in Mesolithic Sweden

Keep your head high: skulls on stakes and cranial trauma in Mesolithic Sweden Abstract The socio-cultural behaviour of Scandinavian Mesolithic hunter-gatherers has been difficult to understand due to the dearth of sites thus far investigated. Recent excavations at Kanaljorden in Sweden...
  7. Jovialis

Mesolithic Greece: Face of 9,000-Year-Old Teenager Reconstructed

Mesolithic Teenager 7000 BC Child Greek girl from 5th century BC Athens. If these are accurate depictions, than I certainly agree with the reconstruction artist, that hard features disappeared overtime, in favor of smoother ones.
  8. Jovialis

Mesolithic Scandinavia: Early Postglacial Migration Routes & High-Latitude Adaptation

Mesolithic Scandinavia: Early Postglacial Migration Routes & High-Latitude Adaptation http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.2003703 Population genomics of Mesolithic Scandinavia: Investigating early postglacial migration routes and high-latitude adaptation...
  9. P

Who were native europeans in Mesolithic era

If R lived in eastern europe since Mesolithic era then why they are called Bronze age immigrants then? is western europe only europe?
  10. Maciamo

More genomes from Mesolithic Romania and Spain (Gonzales-Fortes et al. 2017)

It's relatively small paper compared to the mastodons published earlier this month, but nevertheless interesting. Paleogenomic Evidence for Multi-generational Mixing between Neolithic Farmers and Mesolithic Hunter-Gatherers in the Lower Danube Basin (extended PDF with supplementary materials...
  11. Maciamo

Revised and improved prehistoric migration maps

I have updated, corrected and improved most of the Neolithic and Bronze Age migrations maps. This includes adding new cultures, including minor ones, refining the boundaries, reworking the colours, and updating the haplogroup estimations for each culture. I have also split the map for the period...
  12. Aha

Maps of Europe’s ancient tribes and Y-DNA. Legit?

These are "Maps of Europe’s ancient tribes, kingdoms and Y-DNA" around 7000 BC, 2000 BC, 117 AD and 1227 AD by Sandra Rimmer from this page http://www.abroadintheyard.com/maps-of-europes-ancient-tribes-kingdoms-and-y-dna/ Relief Artist: Kenneth Townsend How legit and accurate they are? Who is...
  13. A

An ignoramus asks... Britain before R1B

Hi all, I'm presently writing a book (which may or may not get published) about my local area. While I don't want to dwell on it too much in the text, the genetic origins of those who lived here during the Mesolithic and Neolithic - and Bronze Age, too - is hugely important. And it's giving me...
  14. Maciamo

Comparing Mesolithic and Neolithic genomes using the Eurogenes K36 calculator

I have run a Yamna genome as well as the Iron-Age Celtic and Anglo-Saxon Hinxton genomes in the Eurogenes K36 calculator. Now is time to have a look at some Mesolithic and Neolithic Europeans. Keep in mind that the component names for the Eurogenes K36 admixture are not accurate and do not...
  15. Maciamo

Distribution map of Y-DNA and mtDNA haplogroup in and around Europe circa 8000 BCE

It's been a while since I haven't made any new maps. Here is an attempt to show what Europe, the Near East and North Africa looked like in terms of Y-DNA and mtDNA haplogroups some 10,000 years ago. I delimited the (very) approximate borders of the first cereal/legume farmers in the Fertile...
  16. Maciamo

Autosomal analysis of Yamna, Corded Ware and Bell Beaker samples

Here is a summary of my observations posted in this thread regarding the autosomal analysis of the Mesolithic and Bronze Age samples from Haak et al 2015. Eurogenes K15 analysis The K15 admixtures for all the Yamna, Corded Ware and Bell Beaker samples can be found in this spreadsheet. As I...
  17. Maciamo

New map of West European Hunter-Gatherer (WHG) admixture

Here is the last of the three admixture maps based on Lazaridis et al. (2014) and Eurogenes. This map compares the genes of modern people to the DNA of a Mesolithic hunter-gatherer from the Loschbour cave in Luxembourg, who lived 8000 years ago and belonged to Y-DNA haplogroup I2a1b and mtDNA...
  18. Maciamo

When did humans first...

Here is a list of the oldest evidence known to archaeology for things that humans did for the first time in prehistory. The purpose is to give a overview of the timeline of technological developments across prehistoric times. - Humans made stone tools at least 2.6 million years ago in Ethiopia...
  19. Maciamo

Analysing Eurasian & African autosomal DNA from Lazaridis et al. 2013

I have reorganised a bit the K=20 autosomal admixtures from Lazaridis et al. 2013 and assigned geographical regions for each component. These admixtures bear an uncanny resemblance to those of the Dodecad Project, and one could wonder if that Iosif Lazaridis could indeed be the person hidden...
  20. Maciamo

Most important ancient DNA that should be tested

Sometimes I wonder how researchers pick and choose the ancient samples that they test for DNA. Very often they don't seem like to be from the most interesting places and periods to further our understanding of European prehistory. Now that Neolithic Y-DNA and autosomal DNA has been...
Back