paleolithic

1. M

Out of Egypt?

I recently noticed something that we had in front of our noses for a while. I'm doubtful of the fact that Africa plays such a big role in our evolution as a species. I'm of the idea that humanity is not a big worker(in the middle of the wilderness). Instead we seek big bodies of water with...
  2. Archetype0ne

Genetics and material culture support repeated expansions into Paleolithic Eurasia...

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.18.444621v1 Genetics and material culture support repeated expansions into Paleolithic Eurasia from a population hub out of AfricaLeonardo Vallini , Giulia Marciani , Serena Aneli , Eugenio Bortolini , Stefano Benazzi , Telmo Pievani , Luca Pagani...
  3. Wheal

Unknown Group of Ancient Humans Once Lived in Siberia, New Evidence Reveals

https://www.livescience.com/65654-dna-ice-age-teeth-siberia.html
  4. Jovialis

Ritual finger amputation may explain missing fingers in Upper Paleolithic people

A trio of researchers at Simon Fraser University in Canada theorizes that ritualistic finger amputation during the Upper Paleolithic explains the number of missing fingers in depictions from that time. In their paper published in the Journal of Paleolithic Archeology, Brea McCauley, David...
  5. 6

New world-Old world timelines

So I've read this comparison on another website:smile:: >europeans >from aurignacian proto-gravettian to solutrean:10000 years (30000BC-20000BC) >from aurignacian-antelian to start of crop development: 9000 years(30000BC-21000BC) >from start of crop development to neolithic revolution: 10500...
  6. Jovialis

Emotional bond between humans and dogs dates back 14,000 years

Abstract The Bonn-Oberkassel dog remains (Upper Pleistocene and 14223 +- 58 years old) have been reported more than 100 years ago. Recent re-examination revealed the tooth of another older and smaller dog, making this domestic dog burial not only the oldest known, but also the only one with...
  7. Maciamo

Spectacular Magdalenian cave etchings discovered in Basque country

BBC News: Cave art: Etchings hailed as 'Iberia's most spectacular' "Cave art as much as 14,500 years old has been pronounced "the most spectacular and impressive" ever discovered on the Iberian peninsula. About 50 etchings were found in the Basque town of Lekeitio. They include horses, bison...
  8. LeBrok

Glacial effect on Paleolithic and Mesolithic population.

I came upon a very interesting article and maps about the extent of Ice Age glaciers with enormous flood basins. Asia as we know it today didn't exist in the past. It was more of landscape of separate lands with huge seas between them and mountains of ice. Till pretty much the end of Ice Age...
  9. Maciamo

New map of West European Hunter-Gatherer (WHG) admixture

Here is the last of the three admixture maps based on Lazaridis et al. (2014) and Eurogenes. This map compares the genes of modern people to the DNA of a Mesolithic hunter-gatherer from the Loschbour cave in Luxembourg, who lived 8000 years ago and belonged to Y-DNA haplogroup I2a1b and mtDNA...
  10. Maciamo

When did humans first...

Here is a list of the oldest evidence known to archaeology for things that humans did for the first time in prehistory. The purpose is to give a overview of the timeline of technological developments across prehistoric times. - Humans made stone tools at least 2.6 million years ago in Ethiopia...
  11. Maciamo

Mal'ta boy had autosomal genes present in populations with Y-haplogroups M, P, Q & R

Mal'ta boy had autosomal genes present in populations with Y-haplogroups M, P, Q & R Two weeks ago, Raghavan et al. published a paper on the genome of an Upper Palaeolithic Siberian individual, known as the Mal'ta boy. It is by far the oldest human genome tested to date. The authors reported...
  12. Maciamo

New map of mtDNA haplogroup U5

Haplogroup U5 was the most common maternal lineage among European hunter-gatherers, not just during the Palaeolithic and Mesolithic, but until much later in North and Northeast Europe, notably with the Sami people. U5 is absent from Southwest Asia and very low in most of the Middle East, where...
  13. Maciamo

Chronology of Cro-Magnon Y-DNA

European Early Modern Humans (EEMH), commonly known as Cro-Magnons, arrived in several waves from the Near East to Europe. Thinking about what Y-DNA haplogroup can be associated with them, and in which order they migrated to Europe, I came up with the following chronology for the Upper...
Back