germany

1. Maciamo

Economy Germany in crisis: the end of an economic model?

The German economy is in crisis. After being dubbed the engine of Europe followed the 2007-8 financial crisis, it is now the slowest growing economy in Europe and many analysts predict that this is only the beginning of the country's economic woes. VisualEconomik underlines three main issues...
  2. Maciamo

Economy Chinese EV are bad news for European and Japanese car makers

German and Japanese car makers are quickly losing market share in China. This appears inevitable Chinese car makers can produce cheaper electric cars that are as good or better than any others. German car makers have also been too slow to adapt to the EV market, trying to prolong the life of the...
  3. E

German / Bulgaria J-FTC79873 Who are we?

Hello, my FTDNA Y DNA kit # is 369210, and Haplogroup # is J-FTC79873. I have been on FTDNA for years with no Y-DNA matches but one my brother. Bought the Big Y over a year ago with no matches. My biological surname is Engelhorn with solid paper trail in Germany back to the early 1500's. Rumor...
  4. M

How did J&E got into NEEurope?

I was watching the map of European Y-DNA haplogroups and I realized there are places in the European great plain, places that were never colonized by the Romans. That have a lot of haplogroup J and E, particularly haplogroup E, which seems to be more widespread. Belarus is striking, since they...
  5. C

Where was Germania?

In the Greco-Roman sources, there are two different lands with the name of Germania, one of them is in Iran and another one is the north of Europe, the interesting point is that the Iranian one was not mentioned after 5th century BC and the European one was not mentioned before 3rd century BC...
  6. Maciamo

Gold-covered equestrian bronze statue found in Roman town in Germany

After a very modern-looking shoe, here is another amazing find from a Roman settlement near Frankfurt. National Geographic: This Golden Head Adds a Twist to Ancient Roman History "After nearly a decade of legal wrangling, a piece of ancient Roman sculpture worth almost U.S. $2 million has...
  7. J

What to make of these GEDmatch eurogenes results (with info)

K13 oracle Admix Results (sorted): # Population Percent 1 North_Atlantic 36.72 2 Baltic 34.62 3 West_Med 15.81 4 East_Med 4.09 5 West_Asian 3.73 6 South_Asian 3.37 7 Red_Sea 1.66 Single Population Sharing: # Population (source) Distance 1 East_German 4.25 2 Austrian...
  8. Maciamo

Living DNA discount for people of German ancestry

Living DNA announced in their blog that they have just launched a DNA research project aiming to map Germany’s genetic history. They are going to be working with Germany’s largest genealogy society, Verein für Computergenealogie e.V. (CompGen). Together they are looking for individuals with four...
  9. Maciamo

What's the origin of Franco-German formality?

If there is one thing that distinguishes French and German speakers from English speakers or even other Europeans is their insistence on using formal vous or Sie instead of the informal tu or Du in any situation where two adults aren't on familiar terms (i.e. close friends or family). This...
  10. Oasis

Politics Which Country Do You Think Will Be The Next To Leave EU?

Denmark Czech Republic Austria Cyprus Italy Ireland Netherlands Hungary France Greece Germany
  11. Oasis

Politics Which Country Do You Think Will Be The Next To Exit EU?

Denmark Czech Republic Austria Cyprus Italy Ireland Netherlands Hungary France Greece
  12. Oasis

Politics Why German Speaking Countries Don't Unite Into One Big German Country?

Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. All these 4 countries speak German as their first and official language. they are bordering each other. They once used to be one country, yet they are divided. Always thought about that..
  13. K

Applying for Masters Program in English in Germany

HI! I'm planning to apply for a masters in Counseling or Mental Health or any program related to those subjects in Germany but I don't know which good universities offer these in English. I'm originally from the Philippines but now working in Florida. Have always wanted to study in Europe. Does...
  14. S

Help me move and study in Germany

HI EVERYONE!:heart: New user here & DYING TO MOVE & FINISH MY BACHELORS DEGREE IN ARCHITECTURE (or communication design) in GERMANY. I am looking at probably staying at BERLIN or HAMBURG I have been doing my research and have been trying to contact schools and sending them my paperwork. I...
  15. M

first time europe traveler age 24

I will be going on birthright in israel and will be extending my trip with a friend. We're both 24. We've both agreed on traveling to italy and amsterdam. Ideas: Rome 2 nights Florence nights (with one day trip to pisa) Amsterdam 4 nights We're having a hard time picking another destination. To...
  16. B

lived in germany

I remember, back when I was three, my father was in the U.S. army. I moved and lived in Germany when I was three years old. I spent a little time in Augsburg, Germany as well.:laughing:
  17. Maciamo

Did the Roman Empire really end with WWI ?

It may come as a surprise to most people, but from a historian's point of view it makes perfect sense to say that the Roman Empire truly cease to exist in 1918, when the German Empire, Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman empires were dismantled. Let me explain. The Romans founded Europe's first...
  18. I

Are the Northern European countries much more clever than the ones in the South?

When comparing the North ; Germany, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland.... with South ; Portugal, Spain, Greece, Croatia, Albania, Bulgaria.... the one can notice that the North is working much more than the South. Working hours can be lesser in some countries maybe but their "efficiency" is very...
  19. S

After marry in germany how much time will take to get nationality or long term visa

After marry in germany how much time will take to get nationality or long term visa ??
  20. JamesWalker

A Study Guide in Germany

I am thinking to study in Germany. Can anyone of you give a tip or something - or even a web where I can read and have more information about the Educational system in Germany
Back