latin

1. Maciamo

Spanish, Portuguese and French words that changed gender from Latin

A great advantage of being a native speaker of a Romance language is that the gender (masculine or feminine) is the same in over 99% of cases in other Romance languages, which makes learning them much easier than for speakers of non-Romance languages (and English, which is half-Romance but lost...
  2. Maciamo

Spanish words with corrupted meaning

I am currently reading a book in Spanish and watching a few series in Spanish as well. I thought it was the perfect opportunity to analyse a bit the language as I came across words that seemed to have undergone a change of meaning from their Latin root. There are of course many words like that...
  3. Maciamo

French words starting in ch- compared to other Romance languages

One particularity of French is that many 'c' sounds changed into 'ch' (pronounced 'sh'). I have made a list of most of the words I could think of derived from Latin that underwent that mutation. Many of them were inherited by English (chain, chamber, change, chapel, charge, chaste), but a few...
  4. Jovialis

La Tène Culture to Model Ancient & Modern Italians

https://www.worldhistory.org/image/14458/map-of-la-tene-culture/ Much praise to Maciamo for processing the Paterson et al. 2021 samples, and sharing them with me. I will include them in an update of the Individual samples for the aDNA catalog for Dodecad K12b. I have included La Tène, and...
  5. Maciamo

Similar words between Latin and Gaulish Celtic

How much did the ancient Romans understand the Gauls when Caesar set on his 9-year campaign? Would the language have appeared outlandish to Latin ears, like Basque is to us today, or on the contrary rather familiar like Romance and Germanic languages are to English speakers? Or maybe somewhere...
  6. Maciamo

Analysing Iron Age Italian samples

The Antonio et al. (2019) paper on Ancient Rome was released 2 and a half months ago, so I am coming a bit late for the analysis, but I had been busy before. Using the Dodecad K12b data provided by Jovialis, I created a table of the 11 Iron Age samples from this study. ID Date Y-DNA...
  7. Jovialis

Antonio M. et al 2019 - Iron Age Samples Raw Data

Here are the Iron Age samples from Ancient Rome: A genetic crossroads of Europe and the Mediterranean I used WGS extract to "convert" the files from BAM to usable raw data, in WGS combined, as well as AncestryDNA format...
  8. Maciamo

How do you pronounce Latin?

We do not know exactly how the ancient Romans pronounced Latin. But thanks to reconstructive linguistics, it is thought that: - the letter c was always a hard c (like k). Likewise g's were always hard as in good, never as in giant or gist. - the t was always a hard t even in words ending in...
  9. Maciamo

Revising the classification of Indo-European languages

We have hypothesised in Germanic words of non-IE origin that Proto-Germanic borrowed a few common words from indigenous pre-IE Scandinavians. I believe that there may be a much bigger proportion of Latin and Greek words (including those inherited in modern Romance languages) that are not...
  10. edao

Development of the Alphabet

11. L

Politics Spain's FM Defends An EU-LAC Alliance "Without Paternalism"

Source: http://www.eurasiareview.com/2010/05/spains-fm-defends-eu-lac-alliance.html
Back