ireland

1. M

Rh- & AB0 Ireland

2. M

R-L21 fixed in the Isles since EBA

Since the Early Bronze Age, haplogroup R1b-L21 seems to have been dominant in the British Isles(at least in Britain). 20/21 Y-haplogroups are R1b. 5/20 are some M269 subclades that are very small, or the sample doesn't have enough coverage(ended in '1a). But 15/21 are P312(a2), out of which...
  3. Maciamo

Ragnar Lothbrok's dynasty may well have belonged to haplogroup R1a-Z284

I have checked Ragnar Lothbrok's genealogy to find if he had male line descendants to this day. It would not be surprising considering that he had eight sons and they became powerful rulers of their own. The main issue is that the genealogy is disputed. If enough Y-DNA lines survived, it would...
  4. Maciamo

Immigration Largest Italian, Irish, Polish, Greek cities in the world outside their home country

Great Britain, Spain and Portugal have set up population colonies that are now home to far more people than the country of origin. But what about more recent diaspora of countries that didn't set up their own population colonies? Largest Italian cities in the world For example is Buenos...
  5. Maciamo

Incest in dynastic elite in Megalithic Newgrange

Nature: Incest uncovered at the elite prehistoric Newgrange monument in Ireland "The huge, elaborate, 5,000-year-old tomb at Newgrange, Ireland, is thought to have been built for a powerful elite. DNA of a man buried there reveals a case of incest. Was this a strategy to maintain a dynastic...
  6. Jovialis

Vikings arrived in Ireland when the population was in serious decline

New research has found that the population of Ireland was in decline for almost 200 years before the Vikings settled. The research from Queen's University Belfast's School of Natural and Built Environment is the first of its kind and has been published in the Journal of Archaeological Science...
  7. Jovialis

Ireland: Farmer finds prehistoric gold artifacts in Donegal

A farmer from County Donegal has discovered gold artefacts believed to be thousands of years old. Norman Witherow uncovered the gold objects on Saturday when he was digging a drain in a field near Convoy. The artefacts remained in his kitchen and car boot until Tuesday when his friend, who is...
  8. Jovialis

Ireland: Neolithic Remains Found in Mountain Chamber

A boulder chamber discovered by a hillwalker on a mountainside in Mayo was a ritual site for the dead, experts have revealed. The remains of at least 10 adults, adolescents and children were placed in the cave-like structure over the course of 1,200 years in the Neolithic era. Scientific...
  9. Jovialis

Irish DNA Atlas: Revealing Fine-Scale Population Structure & History within Ireland

Irish DNA Atlas: Revealing Fine-Scale Population Structure & History within Ireland...
  10. K

First Celts

The original Celts came from central Europe. However modern central Europeans (Swiss and Austrians) don't look phenotypically Celtic in the modern interpretation (Irish, welsh). Were the original Celts closer in appearance and genes to the Irish (pale, freckles, red hair) or closer to the Swiss...
  11. M

first time europe traveler age 24

I will be going on birthright in israel and will be extending my trip with a friend. We're both 24. We've both agreed on traveling to italy and amsterdam. Ideas: Rome 2 nights Florence nights (with one day trip to pisa) Amsterdam 4 nights We're having a hard time picking another destination. To...
  12. Maciamo

Searching for famous R1b-L21 individuals

This thread is dedicated to proposing new famous members of haplogroup R1b-L21 (M529) and its subclades. So far, confirmed R1b-L21 carriers include: - The House of Stuart (DF13 > DF41 > L744 > S781) - James Buchanan (L1335 > CTS11722 according to the Buchanan DNA Project) - William Ewart...
  13. N

R1b question...

I don't know much about the more specific lines of R1b. Would one of the experts know what this means... R1b1a2a1a1b4 One site says this is L238 and another indicates L21-M529-S145-L459 which seems like a bit of a distance both genetically and geographically. Any help is appreciated.
  14. A

DNA results--Haplogroup I (M170)

I had my Y chromosome DNA tested throught National Geographic. The results were Haplogroup I (M170). Anyone know what that means. I read online that 20% of Europeans have this. Is there a way to narrow down where my ancestors come from without paying for another test? I also got these...
  15. Maciamo

Were the Irish pure R1b before the Viking and British invasions ?

I have scrutinised FamilyTreeDNA's Ireland Y-DNA Project and noticed that practically all the Irish surnames belonged to haplogroup R1b, while almost all members of other haplogroups had English, Scottish, or occasionally even Welsh surnames. The Germanic haplogroup R1b-U106 is also dominated...
  16. Maciamo

New & updated guides to Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England

This summer has seen a considerable expansion of the travel section for the UK and Ireland. I have just inaugurated today the new Ireland Travel Guide. No detailed description pages so far, just a list of everything to see in the country (+ Northern Ireland) with plenty of photos. There are...
  17. W

Irish surname "Prendergast" and R1 sub-clades

In investigating my surname, in connection with family genealogy research, I have learned that my surname, "Prendergast" has the uncommon, if not rare, history of being traceable to its origin in Ireland in a single individual (or at least his immediate family). Maurice dePrendergast was a...
  18. RH NEG-I

RH negative factor

Hello everyone thank you for having me. This is my first post though I have read many. My question is regarding the genetic trending effect that the RH negative blood factor may have had on ancient people, primarily so called "caucasions" since the factor is almost exclusive to those of European...
Back