climate change

1. Maciamo

Sustainability Beef consumption slightly decreasing in many European countries

About 9% of global greenhouse gas emissions are caused by the methane emitted from cattle flatulence. Additionally, large swathes of the Amazon rainforest are being destroyed (usually burned) to expand cattle ranching. Tropical deforestation itself is responsible for 10% of global warming, and...
  2. Maciamo

Climate change 2024: the first year living with +2°C of warming

If you were not concerned about global warming before it's time you should. 2023 has seen a massive acceleration in the rate of warming. We had gained 1.1°C since pre-industrial times until 2022. We gained another one degree only in 2023!! Yes you have read that correctly. As much warming last...
  3. Maciamo

Climate change Time to sell your seaside property

Do you live in the coastal city or own a second home at the beach? It's high time to think about selling. Why? Global warming of course. If you haven't heard yet, It has been accelerating like crazy in the last few months, jumping from +1°C above pre-industrial averages at the beginning of 2023...
  4. Maciamo

Climate change What do degrees of global warming really mean?

When discussing climate change, one thing that most people don't understand is what the degrees of warming mean. The global temperatures are currently at 1.4° above pre-industrial averages, but we see temperatures records shattered almost every day all over the world by 3, 4, 5 or even 10...
  5. Maciamo

Economy Insurance companies are withdrawing from the real estate market in southern USA

The Economist explains in a recent article how insurance companies are abandoning risky markets such as Florida and California due to the increasing incidence of extreme weather, notably hurricanes and wild fires. Homeowners are have with little choice but to use state-backed insurers of last...
  6. Maciamo

Climate change A great video about the challenges of climate change

I think it's the first time I watch a video from a Polish YouTube channel (in English), but I was really impressed. They bring philosophy and rationality into the climate debate and analyse the situation better than any other video I have watched or book I've read. They explain, for instance...
  7. Maciamo

Climate change Antarctica has just lost ice the size of Argentina - during what is now winter!

Those of you who follow me on Twitter/X might already have seen this a few days ago. Now the highly reputed Economist magazine has published an article about it: The rapid loss of Antarctic sea ice brings grim scenarios into view Ice melts in summer and water freezes again in winter. That's...
  8. M

Anthropocene climate of Europe

Poland Iceland Italian Alps Spain
  9. Maciamo

Climate change COP26 : Which banks and insurance companies have pledged to divest from fossil fuels?

COP26 was a mitigated success. It came up short of expected commitments, but nevertheless achieved substantial changes. 1485 institutions in 71 countries, with assets over $39.2 Trillion, have committed to divest from fossil fuels. You can see the full list in the Divestment Database. I am...
  10. Maciamo

Nature Is your bank one of those financing the Amazon destruction & extinction of species?

Is your bank one of those financing the Amazon destruction & extinction of species? My latest article. Don't be complicit. Know what your bank is doing and choose a better bank if yours is evil.
  11. Maciamo

Climate change How worried are you about climate change?

A new study found that 75% of young people were worried about Climate Change and many suffer from climate anxiety. I am among them. What about you? https://twitter.com/ElisaPeter/status/1446155796560101379 https://twitter.com/Avaaz/status/1447139935715266561
  12. Maciamo

Climate change Beef production causes 5x more greenhouse gas emissions than all air travel!

If you want to fight climate change, reducing beef consumption or completely stopping it would be far more effective than purchasing an electric car or cancelling your holiday plans abroad. Check this article. The Economist: Treating beef like coal would make a big dent in greenhouse-gas...
  13. Maciamo

Climate change How many trees are needed to compensate 1 tonne of CO2?

Calculating the numbers of trees that need to be planted to offset one's carbon emissions is not as straightforward as it seems. It depends on the variety of trees planted, but also on the age of the trees, since older and bigger trees absorb more CO2 than saplings. A tree needed to survive for...
  14. Maciamo

Climate change Most people worldwide worried about climate change. Right-wing US least concerned.

The famous American think tank Pew Research has published a new survey about attitudes to climate change. In Response to Climate Change, Citizens in Advanced Economies Are Willing To Alter How They Live and Work Over the last six years Westerners have become increasingly concerned about the...
  15. Maciamo

Climate change What is the carbon footprint of a new petrol, hybrid and electric car?

For most people having a car represents the biggest share of one's personal carbon footprint. Unless one travels a lot by plane, few other consumables generate nearly as much CO2. Driving 15,000 km per year (a bit less than 10,000 miles) with a petrol car generates as much CO2 as home heating...
  16. Archetype0ne

Climate change Heatwave turns already arid Kazakh steppe into mass grave for horses

Graphic warning. Heatwave turns already arid Kazakh steppe into mass grave for horses[https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/heatwave-turns-already-arid-kazakh-steppe-into-mass-grave-horses-2021-08-06/]
  17. Maciamo

Climate change Heatwave in Canada exceeds 49°C (hotter than the highest records in Europe)

Even knowing how serious global warming is, I am still amazed at what is happening in Canada this week. On Tuesday the temperature hit 49.6C (121.1F) in the town of Lytton, British Columbia, 155 miles (250 km) east of Vancouver. To put this in perspective, the highest temperature ever recorded...
  18. Maciamo

Climate change Is it too late to stop climate change?

Here are two great videos from Kurzgezagt.
  19. Maciamo

Climate change Which airlines are the most environmentally friendly?

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has estimated that aviation is responsible for around 3.5 percent of anthropogenic climate change. That may not seem much, but it's important to tackle global warming on every front as the situation has been deteriorating really fast over the...
  20. Maciamo

Climate change Many countries set to ban sales of petrol/diesel cars by 2030 or 2040

It may come as a shock to many of you, but one European country has already banned the sales of new petrol/diesel cars this year: Austria. Wikipedia keeps a list of countries that plan to phase-out of fossil fuel vehicles. After Austria, it is Norway who is going to follow suit in 2025. The...
Back