archaeology

1. Z

Pre-Historic Population Size

After thinking about the genetic pre history of Europe, a question came to mind and I'm curious if anyone here knows. Is there any estimates on the population size of certain key periods in Europe's pre-history from archaeologists or geneticists. In particular I'm wondering how many farmers left...
  2. Archetype0ne

Earliest adorned female infant burial in Europe/Understanding Evolution of Personhood

https://phys.org/news/2021-12-earliest-adorned-female-infant-burial.html "Ten thousand years ago, just after the last Ice Age, a group of hunter-gatherers buried an infant girl in an Italian cave. They entombed her with a rich selection of their treasured beads and pendants, and an eagle-owl...
  3. Maciamo

New archeological evidence shows that humans already reached America 33,000 years ago

This is some groundbreaking news. The consensus had been that Siberians colonised the Americas around 15,000 to 14,000 years ago. This was not only supported by archaeology, but also but genetics, as the Q1a-M3 lineage of Native Americans was formed some 15,000 years ago. Pushing the date back...
  4. Maciamo

New map of the Megalithic cultures

Here is a map of the Megalithic cultures in Europe and North Africa, with the main sites highlighted. There are lots of maps on the web, but none that I found satisfactory as they didn't carefully list all the areas with megaliths. The oldest sites are dated to c. 6000 BCE in central Portugal...
  5. Maciamo

Incest in dynastic elite in Megalithic Newgrange

Nature: Incest uncovered at the elite prehistoric Newgrange monument in Ireland "The huge, elaborate, 5,000-year-old tomb at Newgrange, Ireland, is thought to have been built for a powerful elite. DNA of a man buried there reveals a case of incest. Was this a strategy to maintain a dynastic...
  6. Maciamo

New map of the Bell Beaker phenomenon

I finally got around to create a map about the Bell Beaker phenomenon. It was a complex task as there are already many maps out there, but few agree on the distribution of the Beaker and the main hubs of this vast commercial network. Some maps show arrows of the probable diffusion of the beakers...
  7. Angela

Did megaliths first arise in northwestern France?

See: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/02/stonehenge-other-ancient-rock-structures-may-trace-their-origins-monuments "A new study suggests these megaliths weren’t created independently but instead can be traced back to a single hunter-gatherer culture that started nearly 7000 years ago in...
  8. Maciamo

Society Shall we adopt a Human Era calendar?

Two years ago Kurzgesagt proposed a new calendar that would start 10,000 years before the Common Era, around the time when agriculture started in the Fertile Crescent and the hunter-gatherers of Göbekli Tepe erected the world's first stone temple. They argued that this would be a more universal...
  9. Maciamo

Stylish ancient Roman shoe found in Germany

This is quite impressive. It almost looks like a modern shoe! It is on display at the Saalburg, a reconstructed Roman fort just outside Frankfurt-am-Main. Exquisitely Designed 2,000-Year-Old Roman Shoe Discovered in a Well
  10. Maciamo

Heatwave reveals England's lost prehistoric sites

The heatwave this summer has been a boon for archaeologists. BBC News: Heatwave reveals England's lost prehistoric sites "The heatwave has continued to reveal details of England's ancient past to archaeologists. Surveys from the air have revealed Neolithic ceremonial monuments, Iron Age...
  11. Maciamo

My proposed tree of Indo-European languages

Johane Derite posted a list of different phylogenetic trees of IE languages proposed by various linguists in another thread. I thought it would be an ideal opportunity for me to post my proposed phylogenetic tree, which I have not only based on linguistic evidence, but also on archaeological and...
  12. Maciamo

Google's 3D scans aim to preserve historical sites

Google's 3D scans aim to preserve historical sites "High resolution 3D scans of more than 25 historical sites from around the world are being released. CyArk used cutting edge digital archaeology techniques including laser scanning and drones to capture the images which have been released by...
  13. L

Indo-European Archaeology

First of all, I'm sorry for my bad english. I have a big interest on indo-europeans studies and I want to know how is going the archaeology. I mean, what countries spends money on that? There are scholarships? How it works?
  14. Maciamo

Oldest wine made in Georgia around 8000 years ago

We already knew that winemaking originated in the South Caucasus, but its origins keep getting pushed further in time - in this case by half a millennium. Winemaking supposedly spread to the East Mediterranean with the expansion of the Kura-Araxes culture (dominated by Y-haplogroup J2a1, but...
  15. Maciamo

Oldest manuscript with number zero over 500 years older than previously thought

BBC News: Carbon dating reveals earliest origins of zero symbol "Carbon dating shows an ancient Indian manuscript has the earliest recorded origin of the zero symbol. The Bakhshali manuscript is now believed to date from the 3rd or 4th Century, making it hundreds of years older than previously...
  16. Maciamo

First Homo sapiens may have appeared in North Africa 300,000 years ago (Hublin 2017)

Prehistory is being rewritten once again! BBC News: 'First of our kind' found in Morocco The idea that modern people evolved in a single "cradle of humanity" in East Africa some 200,000 years ago is no longer tenable, new research suggests. Fossils of five early humans have been found in...
  17. A

U3 (mtDNA) = Ancient Egyptian?

Hello! Could it be that U3 arose in prehistoric Egypt? U3 is still frequent along the Nile River in Egypt.
  18. A

L = Indus people?

Hello! Were the Indus people the first carriers of L? Are the Rapa Nui of Easter Island carriers of L? If so, that could be an indication that the Rongorongo script is actually related to the Indus script. How realistic is the idea that the Indus people were mostly R1a1, and when their...
  19. A

U3 = Ancient Egytian?

moved to paleogenetics
  20. A

L = Indus people?

moved to Paleogenetics
Back